Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lobachevsky
I'm still convinced the type of terminal doesn't matter and the specific Vanilla card doesn't matter.
Adding today's OV data (Walmart1 Kate is giving MOs, so I'm using it with meta, but doing sporadic tests)

Walmart 1- 0/15
Walmart 2- 15/28
Old Aug 30, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
OV Data Point

WM 1 - 0/2 at MC (new machine) - 3 swipes
WM 2 - 0/2 at MC (new machine) - 3 swipes

Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by commdiver
Paul, are you always just going to the same WM? I am just curious because I have been afraid to go to the same one on a regular basis. I have six that I rotate through, but it is a pain making farther drives just to avoid frequenting the same one.
Yes, because the other WM in range is one of the hostile ones, while this one is the opposite. They know what we're doing and no one has complained so far. Several cashiers are friendly and helpful. My thought is that we're a nice break from the people returning merchandise and the people who send money and pay with a pile of 20s. Yesterday I saw a guy cursing the cashier while walking away from the MC. I think he tried to cash a check and was denied.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Yes, because the other WM in range is one of the hostile ones, while this one is the opposite. They know what we're doing and no one has complained so far. Several cashiers are friendly and helpful. My thought is that we're a nice break from the people returning merchandise and the people who send money and pay with a pile of 20s. Yesterday I saw a guy cursing the cashier while walking away from the MC. I think he tried to cash a check and was denied.
I follow that logic too. Some of the customers that go to the CS or MC are extremely rude. We are not (well, most of us are not ).
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by commdiver
I follow that logic too. Some of the customers that go to the CS or MC are extremely rude. We are not (well, most of us are not ).
Yeah, I remember a series of posts from a guy in the Bay area a while back. Each post just made me shake my head.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by jaiice
I never load more than $500 - 1k at any one cashier. All I meant was I did 4k at the second Walmart. 3.5 with 6 cashiers over a couple of trips (1 in the morning and 1 at night, so none of the cashier noticed me) and just 1 $500 at money center. I am damn sure I never killed anything for anyone. I am VERY low profile.

I just wanted to post a data point regarding how money center cashiers are careful/know more (she just noticed from the color of the gift card inspite of me hiding it very carefully) and also a data point regarding the new registers that are good for OV cards.
Your story is shifting, but nonetheless ... You wrote that a cashier went around pointing you out to their colleagues. Can you get anymore high profile for this sort of thing?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:26 pm
Suspended

It's the end of the month and that's prime time for upset people @ the MC - benefit checks are arriving and even though they're dated for the 1st, people try to cash them early.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
It's the end of the month and that's prime time for upset people @ the MC - benefit checks are arriving and even though they're dated for the 1st, people try to cash them early.
There's nothing wrong with cashing a postdated check.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrmandel
And the bank will accept it.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrmandel
Walmart won't
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:34 pm

I definitely agree! I go to an extreme to be polite and pleasant to the clerks. A couple of times I had money drained from cards but no corresponding money order or receipt through some rare quirks in the register, and both times (at two separate stores) I was profusely apologetic, thanking them for their patience so and so forth. Sure enough several hours later the money (automatically) made it back.

The first time this happened I was temporarily out 2 grand, but I think the way I handled it left an impression, and those employees now will bend over backwards to accommodate me. The second time was very recently at a different/new store, and I will wait to see how it goes there in the future.

People: be nice! be polite! Walmart is paying these employees for the time it takes to ring up your MOs! Go during slow shifts, step aside to let other people do their transactions before you go on. Don't hold up a line repeatedly trying VVGCs, it'll just kill the deal for you and for everyone else.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No luck today at WM. The MC was empty and a friendly cashier was there, but I had 7 failed swipes for a $1000 MO, so I said sorry and left. I'll try tomorrow, but if I get the same results, I'll have to cut back on Vanillas again.

BB loads worked OK for me previously, so I'll try a few tomorrow and see how they go.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
MO Purchases using OV @ WM

BB failed for me today using OV. Couldn't get MO at grocery store with OV also. Does not go thru as debit.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
BB failed for me today using OV. Couldn't get MO at grocery store with OV also. Does not go thru as debit.
It is a troubling new development that you couldn't even get MO at grocery store with OV. Glad I didn't get any OV from the three letters drugstore because they were out.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by patrickfungusa
It is a troubling new development that you couldn't even get MO at grocery store with OV. Glad I didn't get any OV from the three letters drugstore because they were out.
I was able to buy a MO with an OV at a grocery store earlier today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.