Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
This morning I bought 2 $1000 MOs in separate transactions, rotating through 6 Vanilla card. The first three swipes failed and the next four succeeded. I wish I could figure out a pattern, but so far no luck.
Paul - those on Kate or normal register? I've had zero success on Kate but great success otherwise.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:37 am

I'm just sticking to the Metas and they work flawlessly with Kate. The extra cost is worth to me for the time and aggravation I save.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:54 am

Found a new Kate yesterday...so this is news to me but I don't know if anyone else has experienced it.

This Kate spits out a separate receipt for each failed and successful transaction. This morning I went to feed it with some OVs...5 different OVs, tried each a few times (1-3 times each), and none worked. So just chalked it up to a bad day, but then I looked more closely at the receipts and I noticed some said something about "Max debit limit 8." (left my receipt in the car so I don't know the exact phrase).

Sure enough, after my first 8 fails, all subsequent receipts printed out the error message about 8 debit limit. This limit is new to me, not sure if it's a change or just this particular kate.

Anyway, thought I'd share.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by unkinected
Found a new Kate yesterday...so this is news to me but I don't know if anyone else has experienced it.

This Kate spits out a separate receipt for each failed and successful transaction. This morning I went to feed it with some OVs...5 different OVs, tried each a few times (1-3 times each), and none worked. So just chalked it up to a bad day, but then I looked more closely at the receipts and I noticed some said something about "Max debit limit 8." (left my receipt in the car so I don't know the exact phrase).

Sure enough, after my first 8 fails, all subsequent receipts printed out the error message about 8 debit limit. This limit is new to me, not sure if it's a change or just this particular kate.

Anyway, thought I'd share.
This is nothing new. After 8 swipes (successful or failed) all following swipes are going to fail/be declined.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Zgirl
This is nothing new. After 8 swipes (successful or failed) all following swipes are going to fail/be declined.
My understanding was that it was 7 swipes, so that's why I thought it was new.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by unkinected
My understanding was that it was 7 swipes, so that's why I thought it was new.
I think the first swipe is the card you're loading, the subsequent swipes are cards you're loading from. Kate/MC count each swipe you perform.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
Paul - those on Kate or normal register? I've had zero success on Kate but great success otherwise.
Normal color register. We don't have a machine at my WM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:47 am

OK, I post this simply as a datapoint.

The weekend was round 5 over the last 10 days or so, loading multiples of BB to the max with OVs at a KATE.

I have YET to have an OV not load on the first swipe.

So I'm wondering if the problems others are having is a velocity issue (not the KATE velocity limitation).

Does anyone know what Bancorp did to get the feds off their back ? Did they somehow come into compliance and return to processing transactions the same way they were previously, or did they just switch to one of the debit processors ?

The only variation in metric I can think of is extremely low volume. I almost never see anyone at this KATE.

* Earlier this year the KATE was down because some kind of utility bill was jammed and there was a video on the screen showing how to open her up and undo the paper jam.

* Right before all the Vs got shut down I saw a guy at KATE as I walked up, but he was withdrawing cash.

* Last week there was a receipt leftover when I went to use KATE, so I thought I would check the timestamp to see if I needed to wait. It was from a coupla hours earlier and they withdrew $20 cash.

THAT'S IT for the span of the last coupla years, but just from my observations.

So for anyone having problems, if you have a 24/7 WM, try loading KATE really late or really early and see if that makes a difference ?

Oh, and the OVs were purchased at 5 different locations, so it doesn't seem to be the cards themselves, perhaps the transaction network that V is now using ?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:37 am

I went yesterday to WM to load BB using Kate, i used the normal cards that we all know they work and tried Vanilla GC in between, it was declined, i have not tried any OV or VGC since it partially came back but i only swiped it once, what i found to be weird is that it did ask for my pin and then it didn't go through, is this what others are experiencing?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA, BA, HH
Tried two different WM each with a Kate today and was code -12 "debit not available" at each. I was using a OV loading BB. Worked last week any thoughts..... before I run off to another avenue.....
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I went yesterday to WM to load BB using Kate, i used the normal cards that we all know they work and tried Vanilla GC in between, it was declined, i have not tried any OV or VGC since it partially came back but i only swiped it once, what i found to be weird is that it did ask for my pin and then it didn't go through, is this what others are experiencing?
Yes, it asks for the PIN (once you hit change payment type if needed) and begins authorization, but comes back with an error message of various types
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by oneeye4u76
Tried two different WM each with a Kate today and was code -12 "debit not available" at each. I was using a OV loading BB. Worked last week any thoughts..... before I run off to another avenue.....
All reports have indicated that using OVs at WM is sporadic at best. If they didn't work today, try tomorrow.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:10 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Does anyone know how common it is for a kiosk to actually print a MO? My main "go to" store always says it's not available and the 2 other stores I've tried say the same thing. If I was able to just print them from the kiosk my life would be MUCH easier... Is there a way to search for a kiosk that actually allows the MO purchase? If need be you can respond via PM.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
Does anyone know how common it is for a kiosk to actually print a MO ?
about 5%
Old Aug 18, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
about 5%
i am yet to see that 5%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.