FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon mall gift card(2014-2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1578495-simon-mall-gift-card-2014-2015-a.html)

MasterCharge Jul 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 23249072)
There are IRS issues I need to read up on before applying. They don't want you escaping compensation payment to employees by issuing gift cards as well as other issues.

you might be interested in the article then
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch03.html

Journey4Happy Jul 28, 2014 6:16 pm

My closest Simon Mall was 20 miles away in Springfield, OH. I made the trek only for them to tell me that they stopped selling GCs a few years ago (I KNEW I shoulda called first!), but told me "but they sell the exact same gift cards at that CVS over there!"

No, they don't, ma'am! No they don't! (... is what I wanted to say).

Of course, I went over to the CVS, just in case, and found the same old VRs that don't load at WM anymore.

eltex Jul 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Still having good luck at the local Simon. I like it. Just walk in and tell them you want 2 or 3 and they swipe your CC and out you go. Change the PIN in the car, and get to WM Kate for two quick loads. All in about 25 minutes, and it's on company time.

daw4888 Aug 5, 2014 10:15 am

Simon Mall Corporate Account for buying Giftcards

I was getting my normal GC order at a Simon's mall near me the other day when the lady mentioned that if I signed up for a corporate account it would remove the 2.95 purchase fee. She mentioned all I needed to give her was my tax number for my business.

Has anyone done this before? If so is there any downside to using my business tax number in this fashion?

iceman77_7 Aug 5, 2014 11:41 am

Originally Posted by daw4888 (Post 23313721)
I was getting my normal GC order at a Simon's mall near me the other day when the lady mentioned that if I signed up for a corporate account it would remove the 2.95 purchase fee. She mentioned all I needed to give her was my tax number for my business.

Has anyone done this before? If so is there any downside to using my business tax number in this fashion?

This is incorrect. I am a corporate customer and I still pay the $2.95/card purchase fee. If you buy in bulk, the fee per card decreases.

daw4888 Aug 5, 2014 11:49 am

Originally Posted by iceman77_7 (Post 23314217)
This is incorrect. I am a corporate customer and I still pay the $2.95/card purchase fee. If you buy in bulk, the fee per card decreases.

Is there any downside to being a Corporate customer and buying a large volume of giftcards?

Looking at the fee schedule even if you are charged the $10 flat fee for up to 24 cards, thats a big discount over the $2.95.

commdiver Aug 5, 2014 12:25 pm

I applied to become a corporate customer a few months ago and was denied. Is there some secret to getting approved? I even applied under my business's name and tax ID.

ashap Aug 5, 2014 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by commdiver (Post 23314540)
I applied to become a corporate customer a few months ago and was denied. Is there some secret to getting approved? I even applied under my business's name and tax ID.

I contacted the customer service manager of my closest simon directly and he set up the account with EIN. It doesn't seem there is any real check when you go through the human.

sandarap Aug 12, 2014 9:28 pm

if my simon gift card says gift card on top
and the wal-mart employee told me can i see your card?
what wil be happend?

lotrbfme Aug 13, 2014 7:34 am

Originally Posted by sandarap (Post 23354384)
what wil be happend?

you say no at loud and run as fast as you can to the exit!^^

daw4888 Aug 13, 2014 9:16 am

Originally Posted by sandarap (Post 23354384)
what wil be happend?

Always have a real debit card out also. If they ask to see the card show it to them, but dont let them have it. Then swipe your Simons Mall Card as usual.

MileageGoblin Aug 13, 2014 11:24 am

FYI, the Dallas Galleria (a Simon Mall that had its own gift card program) has now reduced the max you can get on a card from $500 to $250. Still not bad at the original $2/card, but not as good as online or real Simon Malls. Hope this doesn't happen to the main GC program.

diasfestivos Aug 13, 2014 1:06 pm

I'm not sure if this is useful at all, but the friendly attendant at my local Simon mall has been warning me this summer to expect changes in the Simon GC program starting in August. She says that management is aware of the high volume of sales and that they're working on changes, but she doesn't know exactly what that means. This attendant is definitely aware that folks are buying these for miles and is actually always really happy to do big sales, too. I haven't been by since July, though, so I'm not sure if she has any updates.

PortlySpartacus Aug 13, 2014 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by diasfestivos (Post 23358260)
I'm not sure if this is useful at all, but the friendly attendant at my local Simon mall has been warning me this summer to expect changes in the Simon GC program starting in August. She says that management is aware of the high volume of sales and that they're working on changes, but she doesn't know exactly what that means. This attendant is definitely aware that folks are buying these for miles and is actually always really happy to do big sales, too. I haven't been by since July, though, so I'm not sure if she has any updates.

My local Simon mall in Minneapolis area has stopped selling the Visa GC because they said they area aware that people are buying them to game the system

MileageGoblin Aug 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus (Post 23358555)
My local Simon mall in Minneapolis area has stopped selling the Visa GC because they said they area aware that people are buying them to game the system

It those darn bloggers!!! :td: :D I wouldn't have a problem with them if they didn't spoon feed the masses in order to get "referral" clicks which they embed all over their websites. Its one thing to inform, its another to double dip by MSing and making money off telling people how to MS. :mad: