FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon mall gift card(2014-2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1578495-simon-mall-gift-card-2014-2015-a.html)

annhedonia Jul 1, 2014 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kat007 (Post 23128510)
Is it safe to buy SC with cc by Citi, Wells Fargo, and Barclays?
And who is an issuer of these? I mean they can be loaded onto BB, right?
Thanks!

I bought with both Citi and Barclays. At Citi it hung up for almost a week as a "temp (or whatever the language is) authorization" but not a CA. Issuer is US Bank. I didn't load to BB, I drained w/MO and K-Mart BP.

Kat007 Jul 1, 2014 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by annhedonia (Post 23128561)
I bought with both Citi and Barclays. At Citi it hung up for almost a week as a "temp (or whatever the language is) authorization" but not a CA. Issuer is US Bank. I didn't load to BB, I drained w/MO and K-Mart BP.

Thanks!

How about Evolve? Is it possible to pay with SGC?

jan_believes Jul 2, 2014 10:29 am

Nothing new....

Zaphod42 Jul 22, 2014 11:51 am

Although I live about a mile from a mall that sells the Simon GC, I don't want to continuously go fearing it may raise eyebrows to consistently have large purchases at the same place. I tried to order a couple online through Simon but neither order would go through, however my CC is showing two pending transactions. Anyone have difficulty purchasing Simon GC's online?

mattp1987 Jul 22, 2014 12:25 pm

I've had a few issues. Sometimes, like right now, I just get an error that the site is down. I was also triggering fraud alerts (Citi). As soon as I responded to those alerts that came in by text and email I could try the purchase again and it would go through. Oh, and at one point it looked like Simon had removed the Visas from the site, but they seem to be back now. Do note that you can only order $500 per credit card per 24 hours.

ACVid Jul 22, 2014 12:57 pm

But they are requiring to submit SSN and DOB for online orders of $500! Do you guys feel comfortable doing that?

MileageGoblin Jul 22, 2014 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by ACVid (Post 23238457)
But they are requiring to submit SSN and DOB for online orders of $500! Do you guys feel comfortable doing that?

Why are you guys even screwing with online orders of $500? The shipping makes it not cost effective. You can get $500 gift cards for $4.95 at the grocery store. The only reason to use the Simon website is if you want to set up a business account.

arlflyer Jul 23, 2014 7:17 am

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 23238884)
Why are you guys even screwing with online orders of $500? The shipping makes it not cost effective. You can get $500 gift cards for $4.95 at the grocery store. The only reason to use the Simon website is if you want to set up a business account.

My understanding is that the value add here was that certain stores would only take debit cards with names printed on them for purchases of MOs and other liquidation actions, and the SMGC online will provide that. I thought shipping was free?

shenxing Jul 23, 2014 9:09 am

It's YMMV with requiring your name on the card. The intent is to stop you from being able to purchase MO and the name thing is just BS. If not this, it will be something else.

MileageGoblin Jul 23, 2014 9:17 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 23242597)
My understanding is that the value add here was that certain stores would only take debit cards with names printed on them for purchases of MOs and other liquidation actions, and the SMGC online will provide that. I thought shipping was free?

No, its not free. Its $5.95 for first class shipping which gets added right before clicking the final button. As I said, only reason to use online is if you have a business account. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

mattp1987 Jul 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 23243355)
No, its not free. Its $5.95 for first class shipping which gets added right before clicking the final button. As I said, only reason to use online is if you have a business account. I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

It's $3.95 if you use the coupon for your next order that they send you with each order confirmation.

URrunner Jul 23, 2014 8:51 pm

My local office is offering me to become a corporate user to discount the processing fee of 10 dollars per 20 GC purchase. But I have to give my TIN number (solo prep made for Chase ink bold). Why are they requiring TIN?

MileageGoblin Jul 24, 2014 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mattp1987 (Post 23245471)
It's $3.95 if you use the coupon for your next order that they send you with each order confirmation.

Yes, but considering you can buy multiple for $2-3/each at the mall that doesn't make sense to do it one at a time online. To each their own I guess.

Originally Posted by URrunner (Post 23246988)
My local office is offering me to become a corporate user to discount the processing fee of 10 dollars per 20 GC purchase. But I have to give my TIN number (solo prep made for Chase ink bold). Why are they requiring TIN?

There are IRS issues I need to read up on before applying. They don't want you escaping compensation payment to employees by issuing gift cards as well as other issues.

zig2 Jul 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 23249072)
Yes, but considering you can buy multiple for $2-3/each at the mall that doesn't make sense to do it one at a time online. To each their own I guess.

It saves your time, and the malls can run out of order from time to time.

mattp1987 Jul 26, 2014 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 23249072)

Oh, absolutely, if I had a mall nearby I'd go that route for sure. Unfortunately, there's only one within 100 miles which only stocks the AMEX cards. :( For me, ordering one at a time and having them delivered to my house still beats the other options out there as far as time commitment and cost.