FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon mall gift card(2014-2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1578495-simon-mall-gift-card-2014-2015-a.html)

kingrat Jun 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Simon Mall changes Policy Regarding Gift Cards (Florida)

** Could Only impact you if you use a gift card **

Went to my local Simon mall where I know everyone and everyone knows me, sort of like cheers but without the alcohol and I bought 2k and yes without any paperwork but more to the story they now want ID and the card to swipe themselves instead of you swiping it themselves and the guy working said new policy because people are using giftcards and they will no longer accept them or cards without your name being listed on it.

I have used mine and my wifes card without issues and only have to do paperwork on over 3k and never ask for ID.

Since I didnt go to every Simon Mall in the USA I wont give the title some people do that OMG GC can't be used or other dramatic items that people in FT like to add.

Northern Florida - YMMV everywhere else.

In the same week I bought $2500 and no issues at all so it all depends on who is working, etc.

annhedonia Jun 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Tested out Simon today. Asked to buy $500 card. Clerk: "Personal or business?" Me- "what's the difference?" Clerk: "I'm not sure." Me: "Are there limits?" Clerk: "I don't know" Just for the heck of it I asked her about setting the PIN and she said "nobody has ever asked me about that before." Can't figure out if no MSers or just quiet ones!

I bought just one as I don't have Wally and I've only got one place promising MO w/Debit card &/PIN. If that works I'm in hog heaven, if not guess I gotta go try to BP at OtherMart or AP or Serve.

payeco Jun 27, 2014 6:34 pm

using giftcards and they will no longer accept them or cards without your name being listed on it.
This makes the policy a little unclear. Where could you ever get a credit card without your name on it? You couldn't so is the policy no GCs or no GCs without a name on them? i.e. Will they accept personalized AGCs, for instance? I know OP probably doesn't know. Just thinking out loud.

kingrat Jun 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by payeco (Post 23108316)
This makes the policy a little unclear. Where could you ever get a credit card without your name on it? You couldn't so is the policy no GCs or no GCs without a name on them? i.e. Will they accept personalized AGCs, for instance? I know OP probably doesn't know. Just thinking out loud.

He didn't say but I will ask the next time. They have used amex GC without my name before but I am not sure about the future.

The normal girl that works is very friendly with me and never ask me for ID or anything else but it could be this guy and how he interprets what he was told.

satman40 Jun 27, 2014 6:42 pm

The Simon M help is clew less, and works part time , so an hour later a different person will be there.

Why ask so many questions, buy 3/509 VISA, and move on...
1 English, then card number, number on rear and #, 7, then 2 set pin, 50!sec, and you are done...

Why would you ask a store clearing for this info.,

Every purchase is personal....

Be nice to the help, do not call attention to yourself...

You have found Hog Heaven,

satman40 Jun 27, 2014 6:46 pm

They want to swipe the card and they want to see your ID, now what is the big deal..

My wife can request a card for me under her AA Ex card..

No problem, traffic not a factor...

payeco Jun 27, 2014 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by satman40 (Post 23108346)
They want to swipe the card and they want to see your ID, now what is the big deal..

My wife can request a card for me under her AA Ex card..

No problem, traffic not a factor...

The issue would be how this GC policy is enforced. No GCs period would affect people that use AGCs bought through a portal to offset fees.

airstairfear Jun 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by payeco (Post 23108316)
Where could you ever get a credit card without your name on it?

- From your business
- From a family member
- From the weekly carding swap meet in Hemet, CA

I suppose it depends on their definition of "your name". If they're now checking IDs though, it really wouldn't make sense to bother with that if they're not checking those IDs against something, right? Like the card presented as payment? That seems logical.

payeco Jun 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by airstairfear (Post 23108375)
- From your business
- From a family member
- From the weekly carding swap meet in Hemet, CA

I suppose it depends on their definition of "your name". If they're now checking IDs though, it really wouldn't make sense to bother with that if they're not checking those IDs against something, right? Like the card presented as payment? That seems logical.

I meant a credit card without any name which is what I thought the OP also meant. Bit of a brain fart on my part. I'm sure he meant a name on the CC matching the ID.

RJP3 Jun 28, 2014 3:32 am

Originally Posted by kingrat (Post 23108271)
** Could Only impact you if you use a gift card **

Went to my local Simon mall where I know everyone and everyone knows me, sort of like cheers but without the alcohol and I bought 2k and yes without any paperwork but more to the story they now want ID and the card to swipe themselves instead of you swiping it themselves and the guy working said new policy because people are using giftcards and they will no longer accept them or cards without your name being listed on it.

Thought you could use a few of these:

, , , ,

. . . .

; ; ; ;

Feel free to download them to your computer; I've got plenty.

:cool:

f0xx Jun 28, 2014 3:49 am

Those damn blogs !!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

lol

annhedonia Jun 28, 2014 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by satman40 (Post 23108336)
The Simon M help is clew less, and works part time , so an hour later a different person will be there.

Why ask so many questions, buy 3/509 VISA, and move on...
1 English, then card number, number on rear and #, 7, then 2 set pin, 50!sec, and you are done...

LOL, thanks for the code a day too late. I knew I saw it on another thread and it took me 45 mins to find it before I left for purchase. Sheesh, you are slow, only took me 30 secs! She was so clueless I knew I could ask questions.

I'm in hog heaven but all my MO sources have dried up (or have switched to "you can use our ATM for 2.5% to get cash w/GC and then buy a MO) 1 left to check. It's tooo hard, whine, whine, whine:rolleyes:

RyanOH81 Jun 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Anyone else having problems buying from Simons website tonight? I used two different cards and got errors with both of them. Even though the transactions didn't go through, it still put temp authorizations on both CC and the titles are different than in the past. For example, on my Visa previous temp auths show up as SIMON PROPERTY GROUP, however the one from tonight says AMERICAN EXPRESS PCMC. On my AMEX card, the previous temp auths show up as SPGGC (Category: Other - Miscellaneous) and the one from tonight shows up as SIMON LOCATIONS (Category: Business Services - Banking Services).

annhedonia Jun 30, 2014 5:12 pm

Do Simon Mall GC purchases stay as temp auth. for a longer period than usual charges? I have two month old Citi and every other charge--real spend--has gone through in a day or two. My Simon purchase has been hanging as "temp authorization" for six days. Card is drained and I've not seen any mention of Simon getting charged as CA. Could the hangup be at Simon and slow processing there?

bribro Jun 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by annhedonia (Post 23122148)
Do Simon Mall GC purchases stay as temp auth. for a longer period than usual charges? I have two month old Citi and every other charge--real spend--has gone through in a day or two. My Simon purchase has been hanging as "temp authorization" for six days. Card is drained and I've not seen any mention of Simon getting charged as CA. Could the hangup be at Simon and slow processing there?

Happens to me as well. You can call Citi and have them manually remove the temp auth charges. I was told they will drop off in ~30 days automatically.