FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Simon mall gift card(2014-2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1578495-simon-mall-gift-card-2014-2015-a.html)

xraywinedrinker Aug 31, 2014 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by l0ve2travel (Post 23453093)
Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase SGC with AGC?

I had success last week buying the new MB VGC with AGC. Tested the waters by purchasing just one $500. Loaded GB at WM kiosk same day no issues.

ericdabbs Aug 31, 2014 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by l0ve2travel (Post 23453093)
Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase SGC with AGC?

You must not have been following threads have you? Simon has been cracking down on VGC purchases with AGCs. I don't believe at this time that the POS machine is hard coded against AGCs so technically there is a chance if you can social engineer the cashier or find a cashier that doesn't care. Avenues like this are slowly being shut down.

satman40 Aug 31, 2014 4:55 pm

I buy 4/500 @ a time, and turn them into MO.
Can visit a few malls every day,
Go with the flow, an a lot of people are doing it, yet not as many as you think.
Pigs get Slaughtered....

l0ve2travel Aug 31, 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 23453452)
You must not have been following threads have you? Simon has been cracking down on VGC purchases with AGCs. I don't believe at this time that the POS machine is hard coded against AGCs so technically there is a chance if you can social engineer the cashier or find a cashier that doesn't care. Avenues like this are slowly being shut down.

I probably asked the wrong question :) I meant if POS is hardcoded against AGC. In my mall the lady in the kiosk called a manager, than said it is not possible to by VGC with AGC. I wondered if it is a hard rule or just a local aberration and is worth visiting another mall/another time

ThePointsCollector Aug 31, 2014 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin (Post 23452036)
Makes no difference in terms of the dollars. SM has to pay the $500 per card no matter what. If used in store, visa's fee applies. If drained, no visa fee but that 2-3% fee gets paid out in cash to the liquidator account.

Someone with mall lease experience will know better, but I would think selling SMGC helps to generate higher sales for their tenants which can lead to higher rent to SM if those leases have revenue metrics. Also allows SM to get cash for a short period of time as well as revenue if cards never used.

You don't have a slightest clue how much money is left on those gift cards and get expenses after 12 month.

uncommonsensical Sep 1, 2014 1:08 am

Originally Posted by ThePointsCollector (Post 23454685)
You don't have a slightest clue how much money is left on those gift cards and get expenses after 12 month.

to use your own words: ahem... "you don't have the slightest clue" that the new SGC's no longer charge a monthly fee after 12 months (the US Bank ones did, new MB do not).

Stgermainparis Sep 1, 2014 9:53 am

Are you guys having any trouble loading the new VGC to BB on Kate? Was going to dig in today.

And is anyone finding the old VGC still? I realize that, even if yes, they won't last.

Lumpylump76 Sep 1, 2014 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 23456401)
Are you guys having any trouble loading the new VGC to BB on Kate? Was going to dig in today.

And is anyone finding the old VGC still? I realize that, even if yes, they won't last.

2 of the new VGCs were loaded fine after calling in to set pin. The call n number has changed, and the menu prompts.

Would love to know if calling in to set pin is optional.

Stgermainparis Sep 1, 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76 (Post 23456438)
2 of the new VGCs were loaded fine after calling in to set pin. The call n number has changed, and the menu prompts.

Would love to know if calling in to set pin is optional.

Thanks.

I read somewhere here on FT that there is, in fact, a reason to set the pin, but I can't remember what the reason was. I just take the extra 2 minutes and reset the pin to avoid any sort of problem whatsoever. Also, I use the same pin always b/c then I won't get flustered and enter the wrong preassigned one.

Churnman Sep 1, 2014 10:18 am

The new changes at Simon with their relationship with Blackhawk is as bad as most us of expected. First of all, most locations are strictly enforcing $500 limit and then paperwork must be filled out. They call the office to check your name.

If you think, "well I just hit it hard before they shut us down" you will only be hurting yourself, so there's no need to go crazy. They won't be shutting everyone down, but only those who are buying a lot frequently and then dumping them quickly and never buying anything with the card at one of their tenants.

If you intend to keep Simon GCs as a long term option for your ms needs I suggest cutting back, buy with a real credit card and not Amex GCs (even personalized ones are being banned by Simon), use the gift cards just a bit to make real purchases at the mall and then dump the rest later and buy the max without filling out paperwork. Time to find other ways and not rely so heavily on Simon anymore. Consider it dead for Amex GC liquidation. And, if you are successful in using AGC where you are, keep it to yourself and you'll do yourself a favor.

And, as some of you know when you try to buy their Visas online it takes you to giftcardmall (because of Blackhawk) which now does not allow any Amex GC to be used even if it's personalized and registered. That is dead.

lateacher Sep 1, 2014 10:26 am

I had an odd experience buying $3k at my favorite Simon Mall right off the 405. After I filled out my paperwork, the worker got flustered and pulled out the last receipt from a guy who bought $2k. Turns out, we have the same, not very common last name (R****e). She called her manager and I had to convince her that we weren't in cahoots to buy more than the limit of $3k. I hope this doesn't lead to future problems.

kingrat Sep 1, 2014 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman (Post 23456539)
The new changes at Simon with their relationship with Blackhawk is as bad as most us of expected. First of all, most locations are strictly enforcing $500 limit and then paperwork must be filled out. They call the office to check your name.

If you think, "well I just hit it hard before they shut us down" you will only be hurting yourself, so there's no need to go crazy. They won't be shutting everyone down, but only those who are buying a lot frequently and then dumping them quickly and never buying anything with the card at one of their tenants.

If you intend to keep Simon GCs as a long term option for your ms needs I suggest cutting back, buy with a real credit card and not Amex GCs (even personalized ones are being banned by Simon), use the gift cards just a bit to make real purchases at the mall and then dump the rest later and buy the max without filling out paperwork. Time to find other ways and not rely so heavily on Simon anymore. Consider it dead for Amex GC liquidation. And, if you are successful in using AGC where you are, keep it to yourself and you'll do yourself a favor.

And, as some of you know when you try to buy their Visas online it takes you to giftcardmall (because of Blackhawk) which now does not allow any Amex GC to be used even if it's personalized and registered. That is dead.

God I love you guys... AGC used at Simon has been against policy for over a year - just most people are lazy and blocking it In reference to paperwork - if you are afraid if your name being written down then you need to find a new hobby and bought 3 k - Fri - Sat - sun and today and no problems.

The minimum amount for paperwork is set by the mall and not by simon/black hawk.

They actually check and compare CC with my drivers license.. OMG - How dare they..

compddd Sep 1, 2014 1:07 pm

I only use Simon to meet spending thresholds.

Lumpylump76 Sep 1, 2014 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by compddd (Post 23457283)
I only use Simon to meet spending thresholds.

Serious question: why is it important to you how you use Simon? Do you feel that meeting min spend is different than just buying/generating points?

mikeyb45 Sep 1, 2014 2:48 pm

Not sure whether to post this here or in the Evolve thread, but anyone else tried using the new Metabank SMGC on Evolve? I get "Card entered is not supported for Evolve Money payment (e718)". Man, Evolve just gets less and less useful.