Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite
Simon Volume Purchase Issue

After I added another payment option to an account I got this message. Normally when you add a payment option to your Simon volume account it triggers a review. This is the message I was sent. The message is not punitive per se, but in my case there are no simon malls near me.

"Simon Corporate office has reviewed the card usage on other Giftcards you have purchased from us. We have seen that all the cards are being used in the same way, which qualifies only as a consumer sale. We are aware that many customers purchase our Giftcards because they have Pin numbers and can be used to load the funds onto a Bluebird card or other places and used to pay bills. This type of card usage only qualifies as a personal sale.
You may purchase Simon Visa Giftcards, up to $10,000 per day, at any Simon property as a personal consumer. If a Simon Property is not readily available you can purchase Simon Visa Giftcards, $500 per day, via our consumer website.

Simon Customer Service"
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
I made a request for approval as a business customer in person at the mall to a manager who was anxious to help me. I have a real pass through company (for a law firm) that has been registered with my state for 8 years. She tried to get me approved, but my request was denied for essentially the same reasons as above. The most disappointing result of the denial is that Simon will not sell you the $1000 cards for a consumer transaction.

I and many others were banned by Metabank for visa gift cards at AAA for buying $500 cards and unloading them all at once at BB. Thus, I fear it is only a matter of time before those of us buying several thousand a month in person at Simon are shut down as well. Metabank historically has had a quick trigger finger for the MS crowd.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:35 am

Programs: Citi TY, Amex MR, Chase UR, Choice CP, Marriott MR, AGR, RapidRewards
Simon says "Busted!"

Have they shut down your ability to purchase volume or is it just a warning? Only recommendation is to not use 100% of cards for BB/bill pay. Mix in regular use spending on the cards.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: Several dozen
Simon sez - 10k a day as a customer is not chickenfeed!

Originally Posted by henrythefourth
Simon says "Busted!"

Have they shut down your ability to purchase volume or is it just a warning? Only recommendation is to not use 100% of cards for BB/bill pay. Mix in regular use spending on the cards.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite
I didn't spend 10k a day but was using the bulk purchase program to order about 10 ($500) cards once a month. It's not a total loss, I just don't have the malls near me.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Is there a concern that this would spread to buying in a mall?

Makes sense that they are looking at how the cards are being used besides how they are purchased.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Updated info needed as of today's date, not as of posts dated 3-6 months ago, please. There have been other GC changes. (sorry, no offense)

1. Still good at WM for BB? DD got one of these for her BD weeks ago; needs some $ on her BB now.

2. Pin is now last four? Need to pass that change on to her.

Thank you!

Last edited by jan_believes; Oct 2, 2014 at 7:34 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jan_believes
1. Still good at WM for BB? DD got one of these for her BD weeks ago; needs some $ on her BB now.

Thank you!
I bought at a mall and loaded to Serve at WM register last Sunday (9/27) and Pin is last 4 with no need to register or set it in advance.

I may start saving one of the cards I buy so I can load it at WM on the way to the mall to ensure it still works before I buy another 2.5K or 5K.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:34 pm

no problem loading serve card today at wally. used last 4 numbers for the pin
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by jan_believes
Updated info needed as of today's date, not as of posts dated 3-6 months ago, please. There have been other GC changes. (sorry, no offense)

Thank you!
If you read the card it says that the pi nis the last four

and if WM for BB didnt work - you woul dhave read 100 whining post already
Old Oct 5, 2014, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, USairways, BA, United, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Plat , Marriott, Sixt Platinum
Anyone having issues with international transactions lately? They've been working fine for months and today I noticed this conversion fee, not sure if it's merchants fault though:

Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:54 pm

I was in the area of a SM yesterday and I dropped by their CS kiosk. I asked to buy some, the CS guy's reply 'We do have them but I don't have any to sell to you'. His next statement was 'Are you a gamer?', took me a few seconds to recognize what he meant and I nodded my head. He stated 'We usually sell all of them first thing in the morning, there are a lot of you guys'. I chuckled in my head, I had a gut feeling when I approached the desk that I wasn't going to come away with any.

I haven't read every single page of this thread, but I don't recall anyone giving an experience where a SM actually had a daily allocated limit they are willing to sell. Has anyone encountered this?

The SM source is not one for me as there are only 3 in my metro area and all are in suburbs on the far other side of town from me.There are some damn dedicated MS'ers to go right when the mall opens to buy it all up.:P
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by rtwvagabond
I was in the area of a SM yesterday and I dropped by their CS kiosk. I asked to buy some, the CS guy's reply 'We do have them but I don't have any to sell to you'. His next statement was 'Are you a gamer?', took me a few seconds to recognize what he meant and I nodded my head. He stated 'We usually sell all of them first thing in the morning, there are a lot of you guys'. I chuckled in my head, I had a gut feeling when I approached the desk that I wasn't going to come away with any.

I haven't read every single page of this thread, but I don't recall anyone giving an experience where a SM actually had a daily allocated limit they are willing to sell. Has anyone encountered this?

The SM source is not one for me as there are only 3 in my metro area and all are in suburbs on the far other side of town from me.There are some damn dedicated MS'ers to go right when the mall opens to buy it all up.:P
what state are you in?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by rtwvagabond

I think it depends on the place, here they only setup out x amount of cards from the safe and after that is done they have to request more but now carry 3 times the amount due to ms'ers and the season we are in heading into the holidays but remember half of the .....ing is really about Simon malls, just like most places rules are incomplete, uneducated (about mall policies) people working and managing and inconsistent.

I bought 10k with my business card on Satruday that I ordered the night before and no issues and I spoke to 2 other people (ms'ers) that have business accounts and theirs worked but I assume from reading the other post that these will die off and if it does then we will move on to what is next.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:34 am

So I called my local SM to place an order of GC's. They informed me that my business account was converted to a personal account. I can no longer purchase the $1k cards. I can only purchase the $500 cards and up to $10k/day. Fyi, my business account only lasted about a month.

It stinks that now I'll be paying $5.90 per $1k versus the $2.95 I was paying before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.