Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by anubond005
Thanks for the advice. Will sign the form on my next visit. I also saw the NFC thing on the screen for Payment. Rep told me they will be accepting payments via phone soon.
My SM used to take AP, but I don't think it'll come back based on the ladies and manager at my location. AP worked for about 4-6 weeks. Maybe the other NfCs. It appears the MC fast pass or whatever would currently work.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Talk about differing SM's. Went to a different SM then my usual to get 3*$500 VGC to complete a min spend and it was like applying for a mortgage. The attendant had to very my name was not on a No Sell list (saw the paper), then call and ask permission from someone to sell these cards then call a second person for I don't even know what and had to fill out a form. My normal SM, I just email for 19 cards and then pick them up, nicest people there. Just goes to show how YMMV.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Bought 20 cards and I have 2 cards that no matter what WM will not take.. they have money on them but will not work. I have tried 3 times already
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by kewe
Bought 20 cards and I have 2 cards that no matter what WM will not take.. they have money on them but will not work. I have tried 3 times already
Use them somewhere else. Try to buy a candy bar. I'm sure they will work somewhere or with some irregular swipe method. Just read the thread more.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:52 pm

Went to SM today to complete reward spend for new SPG card. I also intended to buy two more for a test run on a second card. The associate wouldn't let me split the transaction so I just asked for the three on my SPG. While she was processing those I'm thinking to myself maybe she simply meant I couldn't pay for a single transaction with two cards. So as she finishes the first transaction I ask if I can do a second transaction with the other card, she politely says NO I can't, but I could if I return tomorrow. (Its a 40+ mile RT, so not something I'm going to do even weekly).

Anybody else run into this?
I have seen many posts of people splitting transactions on multiple cards, I only wanted 5 VGCs not 19.

Last edited by getstarted; Dec 28, 2015 at 6:07 pm
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by getstarted
Its a 40+ mile RT, so not something I'm going to do even weekly
I haven't experienced your situation, but others may have... just a thought tho for your low volume purchases - assuming you are not rolling around in an electric car, and that you don't live in a "cash only" zone, you'd probably be better off saving your gas & time and just spending the extra $1-2/card at CVS or the grocery store.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by getstarted
Went to SM today to complete reward spend for new SPG card. I also intended to buy two more for a test run on a second card. The associate wouldn't let me split the transaction so I just asked for the three on my SPG. While she was processing those I'm thinking to myself maybe she simply meant I couldn't pay for a single transaction with two cards. So as she finishes the first transaction I ask if I can do a second transaction with the other card, she politely says NO I can't, but I could if I return tomorrow. (Its a 40+ mile RT, so not something I'm going to do even weekly).

Anybody else run into this?
I have seen many posts of people splitting transactions on multiple cards, I only wanted 5 VGCs not 19.
You should've asked to talk to the mall manager or have them look at their policy book. They can split like 7 ways. At my primary mall they don't allow me to do more than one transaction. I can split pretty much as I like. I usually don't do more than 2-3 cards. They know me as the one card guy.

Last time I was there they went through 58 cards b/w myself and two others (father/son).
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:21 pm

I saw someone at Simons today ask for $10k in gift cards, while giggling. I have to assume they were MSing :P The associate barely batted an eyelid, she just asked "so you want 20 of the $500s?" and, I'm assuming, they went on their merry way. (I walked off after that, having already paid for my comparatively-paltry $1000 in VGCs!)
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chelski
Use them somewhere else. Try to buy a candy bar. I'm sure they will work somewhere or with some irregular swipe method. Just read the thread more.
I bought 2 $500 MO at Winn-Dixie and no issues they worked. First time that happened
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:10 am

Went to my local SM and bought 2 $500 gift cards. The attendant asked if I was using this for rewards...
I responded with "What? Oh, no. My mom asked me to get these for her..."
He said "Cool, usually people are doing these for rewards."
I said: "Oh, interesting!" and I left,
I guess he knows about MSing and it's pretty common in my area...
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by weaver808
Went to my local SM and bought 2 $500 gift cards. The attendant asked if I was using this for rewards...
I responded with "What? Oh, no. My mom asked me to get these for her..."
He said "Cool, usually people are doing these for rewards."
I said: "Oh, interesting!" and I left,
I guess he knows about MSing and it's pretty common in my area...
Simon as a company knows that most of their purchases go towards MSing... nothing to hide!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
One of my local SMs is becoming quite hostile towards MS. Management has told the clerks that people buy the gift cards to earn points and not actually make purchases and that this is theft. So they won't sell $500 GCs to people without management approval. Without approval you can only get about half that per card. And if they think they've seen you before, you must be one of these people after the points, in which case they won't sell to you at all. Don't think about going anywhere near the $10k daily limit printed on the form either.

Another SM did something recently I've never seen before. Before running through the GCs, they asked for the credit card I was using. They called a number on the phone and went through a series of menus, at one point punching in my card number and the purchase amount. Eventually someone picked up on the other and and they exchanged a few words. I asked the clerk about it - said they had to pre authorize the card and make sure it actually had that much money on it, and that they got some sort of authorization number required to put the transaction through. It wasn't a call to a manager asking permission, nor was the form required. After the clerk hung up, then they swiped the GCs and I had to swipe my CC again for payment.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 31, 2015 at 11:40 am
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by javabytes
Before running through the GCs, they asked for the credit card I was using. They called a number on the phone and went through a series of menus, at one point punching in my card number and the purchase amount.
Some Staples do this in store with VGC purchases, too. Extra fraud protection. I don't care about it much but it does compromise efficiency, which I hate.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:46 pm
Suspended

I'm sure it's because they've been burned — i.e., a stack of cards that had the strip removed and then the charge declined.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
Another SM did something recently I've never seen before. Before running through the GCs, they asked for the credit card I was using. They called a number on the phone and went through a series of menus, at one point punching in my card number and the purchase amount...
At Houston Galleria, they always call (as in they have for months) to do a pre-auth on my CC if I'm buying multiple GCs. Slight annoyance/slowdown but NBD. You can tell because they write the pre-auth number on the form you fill out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.