Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simon mall gift card(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jimbo18
Just got back from the mall, my favorite cashier said they won't allow AGC to purchase the visas
Even the personalized ones with your name on it ?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
Even the personalized ones with your name on it ?
Sadly yes. She called upstairs as is typical and asked if they can accept prepaid cards with the persons name on the front. Answer was no, prepaid cards are not allowed.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:27 pm

I had the same experience regarding AGC. In 3 separate Simon mall locations in my area, I was told specifically that a gift card purchase is not allowed using a gift card. The AGCs I have specifically say "prepaid gift card" on the front - which was a deal breaker.

They also want to see the card first and insist in swiping it themselves. I fear using AGC for SVGC has come to an end, at least in my area.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
It was nice while it lasted. Like all good ms ways, they go away as more and more try to get in on it and discretion is lost.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Multiple swipes (2-3) needed for Simon USBVGCs at Kate today, but the failed swipes didn't spit out error codes like to would for Vanilla variety
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Multiple swipes (2-3) needed for Simon USBVGCs at Kate today, but the failed swipes didn't spit out error codes like to would for Vanilla variety
Might just be a bad reader on the Kate?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:01 pm

I just logged into my volume account at Simon and the new changes are already in place.

Can order $1000 cards and it says, "The Visa® Simon Giftcard® is issued by MetaBank®, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. Visit simongiftcard.com for more information."

There are two types of Visa cards available, VISA® Simon Giftcard® and VISA® Simon Rewardcard™

I'm not sure what the difference is.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by compddd
I just logged into my volume account at Simon and the new changes are already in place.

Can order $1000 cards and it says, "The Visa® Simon Giftcard® is issued by MetaBank®, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Visa U.S.A. Inc. Visit simongiftcard.com for more information."

There are two types of Visa cards available, VISA® Simon Giftcard® and VISA® Simon Rewardcard™

I'm not sure what the difference is.
Looks like the same consumer vs corporate gift cards available before 09/01. Patterns are the same for consumer new vs. old, I suspect Reward Card = corporate VISAs.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:16 pm

Who wants to be a guinea pig and order one of the new Simon Meta's and see if they drain at WM?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Picked up some USB cards from my local Simon mall.

Desk person said that the impetus for the change was an update in corporate identity, i.e., Simon has a new logo and wanted new card designs with it. She said that the mall will offer several Visa designs, including a relatively plain gray one with just the Simon logo. New cards will be in next week, for sale starting the first. As some have discovered, they won't be getting any more of the old USB cards.

I'm guessing that Blackhawk was able to offer Simon a better kickback with new designs. My mall has a big rack of various gift cards, and I wouldn't be surprised if GCM stocks it.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by compddd
There are two types of Visa cards available, VISA® Simon Giftcard® and VISA® Simon Rewardcard™. I'm not sure what the difference is.
The Simon Rewardcard VISA is a Prepaid Card, not a Gift Card. I wonder if it will say 'Debit' on it ?

Curiouser and curiouser.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
anyone know if the outlet locations sell GC?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:31 am

Yes, the outlets sell the gift cards.

I'm very concerned with Simon Mall now using Metabank. AAA used Metabank and shut me down after several $1,000 test purchases over several months.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Steelcurtain
Yes, the outlets sell the gift cards.

I'm very concerned with Simon Mall now using Metabank. AAA used Metabank and shut me down after several $1,000 test purchases over several months.
Me too. Metabank very quickly banned me from AAA gift cards in November. Its security department told me that they view offloading the entire amount in one swipe as inconsistent with the purpose of the cards. I called only because the bank required me to call to get my money returned to me for my remaining unused cards.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Me too. Metabank very quickly banned me from AAA gift cards in November. Its security department told me that they view offloading the entire amount in one swipe as inconsistent with the purpose of the cards. I called only because the bank required me to call to get my money returned to me for my remaining unused cards.
This is what our big fear is and the reason many of us old timers like things the way they are. Let me sound like an old grumpy geezer: "change is bad most of the time when something worked before." But, maybe we'll find a few silver linings in this change. I can only hope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.