Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does the code envelope arrive?

I recently took advantage of the AMEX Sync offer of $15 statement credit for $100 spent at Staples.com to order a $100 VGC on Jul 16th. I have 5 cards got this offer but I only use one just to see how the process would be.

Got shipment notification on Jul 18th when the pending turned into posted charge.

Today Jul 21st got a big envelope from GiftcardMall with the $100 VGC in it, but there is no other mailing from either Staple or GiftcardMall that contains the activation code.

So what are your experiences on how does the code envelope(s) arrive? In plain envelope or in Staple envelope? Coming from GiftcardMall or from Staple?

TIA.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I recently took advantage of the AMEX Sync offer of $15 statement credit for $100 spent at Staples.com to order a $100 VGC on Jul 16th. I have 5 cards got this offer but I only use one just to see how the process would be.

Got shipment notification on Jul 18th when the pending turned into posted charge.

Today Jul 21st got a big envelope from GiftcardMall with the $100 VGC in it, but there is no other mailing from either Staple or GiftcardMall that contains the activation code.

So what are your experiences on how does the code envelope(s) arrive? In plain envelope or in Staple envelope? Coming from GiftcardMall or from Staple?

TIA.
It should arrive in a regular mail envelope from GiftcardMall. I generally receive it a day before or after the card (ymmv).
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:24 pm

TIA.
Also double-check your email/spam. I have had activation codes emailed to me before.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Haterberg
Also double-check your email/spam. I have had activation codes emailed to me before.
I've also called GCM and have had them activate non-bulk orders over the phone.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by somy
It should arrive in a regular mail envelope from GiftcardMall. I generally receive it a day before or after the card (ymmv).
Originally Posted by Haterberg
Thanks for the info.

I checked my email and the spam folder. There is none in the inbox. I cleaned out the SPAM folder over the weekend without looking. So no idea if it could be there or not.

Will give it a day or 2. Else I found a blog said one could call the CS at giftcaradmall and they would activate it for you once they got the order number.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Thanks for the info.

I checked my email and the spam folder. There is none in the inbox. I cleaned out the SPAM folder over the weekend without looking. So no idea if it could be there or not.

Will give it a day or 2. Else I found a blog said one could call the CS at giftcaradmall and they would activate it for you once they got the order number.
I never receive them on the same day.

Patience young grasshopper
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 pm

TIA.
My cards came in plain envelopes with my address for both the sender and the sendee. As did the activation codes in separate smaller envelopes in the same delivery.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F

TIA.
For most of my orders, they come the same day. For one order, though, activation code arrived one day later (with a later shipping date printed on the envelope).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:25 pm

I got 2x$200 visa today, like to load these on BB at WMT, still works right?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
I got 2x$200 visa today, like to load these on BB at WMT, still works right?
They stopped working for me at WM (assuming your cards are metabank), but it seems like no one else has reported this so YMMV.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
They stopped working for me at WM (assuming your cards are metabank), but it seems like no one else has reported this so YMMV.
Yes its Metabank, (last 4 digits is default PIN?) u mean meta its dead? Haven't heard anyone screaming about it. BB is now useless....
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
Yes its Metabank, (last 4 digits is default PIN?) u mean meta its dead? Haven't heard anyone screaming about it. BB is now useless....
BB is probably not useless, because as you said no one else has complained. I think it's just my 2 WM so far but wanted to warn you to test it before ordering a lot more.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
BB is probably not useless, because as you said no one else has complained. I think it's just my 2 WM so far but wanted to warn you to test it before ordering a lot more.
Do they not work when you swipe or are the employees telling you they don't work? The people in the MC at one of my WMs tells me they don't work anymore but I can go to any of the 28 checkout lanes and load BB/Serve no problem.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
Do they not work when you swipe or are the employees telling you they don't work? The people in the MC at one of my WMs tells me they don't work anymore but I can go to any of the 28 checkout lanes and load BB/Serve no problem.
It's not the employees. They don't work when I swipe at the MC in 2 stores and 3 checkout lanes. I get an invalid PIN error on multiple cards even though the PIN is correct. I've also reset the PIN at home and tried the next day, and I successfully used the PIN outside of WM. So it's a WM problem. To be clear I forgot to say I tried this on Serve not BB, but that might not matter. I spent too much time on it, so I'm taking a break for now. (I'd like to try it with my favorite expert WM staff who might know what's going on, but I haven't seen her lately.)
Old Jul 22, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Current VISA Checkout promotion: 25 off 100 (http://www.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/visa-checkout/) No promo code.

Applied automatically, and appeared to work on my 200 GC order. (Total: $181.95)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.