Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by sangkancilguru
Kitty? Food zoo? Can anyone hint which chains are these? Pet stores? Supermarkets? Wally world?
If you had any near you you'd know exactly what we're talking about.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by payeco
If you had any near you you'd know exactly what we're talking about.
I don't have any nearby, but I suspect they mean Food Lion.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I don't have any nearby, but I suspect they mean **** ****.
Was it really necessary to post the name in public? If you really wanted to help the guy out you could have PM'd him. They've been a gold mine for people that have them and we don't need others to draw unneeded attention.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:05 pm

Was it really necessary to post the name in public? If you really wanted to help the guy out you could have PM'd him. They've been a gold mine for people that have them and we don't need others to draw unneeded attention.
Basically this.

But also I hazard people should have avoided mentioning them in the first place. I've used them pretty much soley for my needs forever, but they are quite sensitive to volume.

I've already heard rumblings from CSRs about additional checks and balances being put in place.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was it really necessary to try to enforce your own need for secrecy on other posters?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Was it really necessary to try to enforce your own need for secrecy on other posters?
Sorry, I forgot you are the blogger apologist. I shouldn't have expected anything else.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I forgot you are the blogger apologist. I shouldn't have expected anything else.
Actually, I'm not -- I don't care about bloggers one way or another. I do want this forum to remain open and helpful, and I have little use for irrational conclusions based on paranoia and greed.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, HLTN, ETC
@payeco What are you using reloadit for (that has been working safely for you)? lol

I have 3 of said store all within about 7minutes of me and use it for certain things but have not for reloadit yet. Been looking into using reloadit but cant decide which reload card would be worth it.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by air360
@payeco What are you using reloadit for (that has been working safely for you)? lol

I have 3 of said store all within about 7minutes of me and use it for certain things but have not for reloadit yet. Been looking into using reloadit but cant decide which reload card would be worth it.
Evolve and T-Mobile prepaid debit.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
confirmation...

hi, i didn't need to buy those 200$ vgc back then but now there is a need. however when i looked at the wiki at the top it says all portals are dead. the date posted was july 12 but there were still a lot of conversations since. so i think maybe i don't really understand it. i went through each page and still i am not clear.

can somebody please tell me if i can still buy the vgc from staples.com and get the 5x UR points? or it is true that i am too late for this deal?! and if so, is there any alternatives for making more UR points?

thanks a bunch!!!
Hugh
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC
Originally Posted by onebluesky
hi, i didn't need to buy those 200$ vgc back then but now there is a need. however when i looked at the wiki at the top it says all portals are dead. the date posted was july 12 but there were still a lot of conversations since. so i think maybe i don't really understand it. i went through each page and still i am not clear.

can somebody please tell me if i can still buy the vgc from staples.com and get the 5x UR points? or it is true that i am too late for this deal?! and if so, is there any alternatives for making more UR points?

thanks a bunch!!!
Hugh
It was as of May 12, but yes the portals are dead. However, you still earn UR points on the purchase. If I understand it correctly, Staples just doesn't report the purchase to the portals anymore.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by onebluesky

can somebody please tell me if i can still buy the vgc from staples.com and get the 5x UR points?
Yes, you can buy vgc from staples.coma using a Chase Ink Bold/Plus card and get 5x UR points.

The portals were yielding additional points/cash back - that is no longer possible.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:12 pm

Anyone having trouble loading these $200 cards onto BB at WM recently?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot LTP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wonderboy
There were no issues for me yesterday at my local Wally's.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wonderboy
I got "alternate tender required" yesterday loading bb and the change payment method did not work. Going to try again today without any split to see what's up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.