Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:30 pm

No problem with my VSE rebate. Never longer than a week. Already had August transactions credited.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:06 pm

Staples need manager override for transaction above $500. To avoid drawing unnecessary attention, I normally buy $400 value gc per transaction, two transactions total. I have two INK cards and can justify why needs two transactions easily.

Originally Posted by neony77
I just got my Ink card and thought I would start with $1K worth to get my feet wet. We were traveling this weekend and I went into an out of state staples to buy, the cashier had to call over the manager for approval, the manager came asked me for an ID and said he won't sell me GC's because my ID is from out of state and walked away - he has the right to refuse! I called him back asked him to explain why he is refusing (something related to fraud etc) - I had to tell him it is my card and I want to buy it he can call whoever he wants to get authorization if he didn't have the authority! Since I stood my ground, he finally gave in, apologized for being hasty and did the transaction.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Trying to buy in a state different than where you live a no-no? Didn't think it would be this much of a hassle to buy $1K worth - maybe I'll just order them online!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:25 pm

Slow Down ... (Easy Tiger...)

I went to a staples today and the clerk told me that someone went by and bought the entire stock of 30 or 50 $200 visa gift cards in one visit.

He said the manager let him do it, though they were both amazed and amused.

I certainly would love to be able to buy a couple of $200 VGCs myself, but don't you think this clean house action itself is a bit too much?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
He'll be the next one complaining on here about why his accounts were closed.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by ftomasze
He'll be the next one complaining on here about why his accounts were closed.
For a single $6000 purchase on a business card at an office store? doubtful. Welcome to flyertalk
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by NewCitizen
Has anyone had issues with Visa Savings Edge rebates posting? I had Staples charges post on 7/9 for $3,100, but no corresponding $31 rebate.

Tried calling the fine folks over at Visa Savings Edge on Friday afternoon, but had nobody pick up. I'll be trying again this week.
Two credits from 7/17 transactions haven't posted for me either.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:39 am

VSE Rebate Not Posting

Originally Posted by tomsam
My last Staples VGC purchase was on 8/4, VSE rebate posted 3 days later on 8/7.

Have you had previous rebates post successfully?
Yeah, I've had every other rebate post. This purchase wasn't any different from others I've done. I'll see if I can get VSE on the phone and report back.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by bulletin2007
Staples need manager override for transaction above $500. To avoid drawing unnecessary attention, I normally buy $400 value gc per transaction, two transactions total. I have two INK cards and can justify why needs two transactions easily.
Thank you, that's helpful to know! I didn't care much about needing the manager override but was just surprised/annoyed that he tried to make it sound like I was committing some crime just because my drivers license was from a different state than where the store was located. I wasn't sure if it was some kind of staples policy so wanted to check in on here...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:58 am

From what I've read the last few pages, the VisaEdge 1% is not something you have to go through every time, once you sign up, the statement credit will show up in a few days and for subsequent purchases. You do not need to go through VisaEdge every single time like the portals (TCB, CBH, BF)?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by stealph
For a single $6000 purchase on a business card at an office store? doubtful. Welcome to flyertalk
The amount of the purchase isnt' the issue. It's the fact that Chase can probably see what's going on.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
From what I've read the last few pages, the VisaEdge 1% is not something you have to go through every time, once you sign up, the statement credit will show up in a few days and for subsequent purchases.
Correct.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: ALL :)
Has anyone had issues with Visa Savings Edge rebates posting? I had Staples charges post on 7/9 for $3,100, but no corresponding $31 rebate.

Tried calling the fine folks over at Visa Savings Edge on Friday afternoon, but had nobody pick up. I'll be trying again this week.
Don't call the airline?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:23 am

Yeah, I've had every other rebate post. This purchase wasn't any different from others I've done. I'll see if I can get VSE on the phone and report back.
Any update with VisaEdge and posting?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Any update with VisaEdge and posting?
Looks like I've got 2 that are late now. My usual pattern is:

Purchase Posting Date = Purchase Transaction Date + (2 to 3 days)
VSE Transaction Date = Purchase Posting Date
VSE Posting Date = VSE Transaction Date + (2 to 3 days)

I've got one purchase with a posting date of 8/11 and another with 8/12. Both should have posted VSE by today.

The last I had post was for a transaction that posted on 8/7 (VSE posted on 8/10)
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Looks like I've got 2 that are late now. My usual pattern is:

Purchase Posting Date = Purchase Transaction Date + (2 to 3 days)
VSE Transaction Date = Purchase Posting Date
VSE Posting Date = VSE Transaction Date + (2 to 3 days)

I've got one purchase with a posting date of 8/11 and another with 8/12. Both should have posted VSE by today.

The last I had post was for a transaction that posted on 8/7 (VSE posted on 8/10)
I am in the same boat. Purchased 8/11. No VSE posting as of today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.