Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by fathawkeye
Just saw this post - Have a question for you seasoned pro's.
I have both UA and Delta Cards.
UA offers a promo of up to 2000 pts on top of the earn rate. ig) buy $2k worth of cards - would I get $2k x 2 pts (earn rate) + 2000 (4 purchases of $500) pts to = 12000pts ?
Wouldn't that be 6,000?

2,000x2 = 4,000 + 2,000 bonus = 6,000.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Amex Sync promotion (targeted accounts)

Good for buying VGC on staples.com.

HT to deals we like -

http://dealswelike.boardingarea.com/...tement-credit/

I didn't have it on 3 AMEX accounts, but my wife had it on all 3 of her AMEX cards (interestingly one of her cards is an AU card on one of my accounts!).
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tomsam
Good for buying VGC on staples.com.

HT to deals we like -

http://dealswelike.boardingarea.com/...tement-credit/

I didn't have it on 3 AMEX accounts, but my wife had it on all 3 of her AMEX cards (interestingly one of her cards is an AU card on one of my accounts!).
No go on my BC
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:00 pm

I am also concerned about this. Chase sent a warning signal.
Originally Posted by Mamibear
we will see in the next few days/weeks if there are reports of MORE account shutdowns with the revisions on Chase terms and conditions about what they deem as abuse.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:24 pm

Question Liquidating $200 Visa Gift Cards

I preface this with forgive me if this has been answered. I've read about 35 pages of this thread but I cant read it all and I am still confused. My understanding is you can no longer load your Amex Serve card with VGCs at WM or pretty much any place else. Is this correct?

If so, how are people liquidating these cards? I read something about a money order but I believe those cost money. Are the points you earn worth more than the fees incurred by the cost of the gift card and the cost of the money order?

Could someone please layout their liquidation methods to me as if I am an idiot? I'm not an idiot but I've been reading these boards for so long I'm starting to feel like I am. Thank you.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Blackeyes24
My understanding is you can no longer load your Amex Serve card with VGCs at WM or pretty much any place else.
Sure you can... just avoid using OneVanilla/Vanilla Visas at WM if possible because they're giving lots of trouble.

And remember, if anyone asks you if you're using a gift card, the answer is "it's a debit card".
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by Blackeyes24
My understanding is you can no longer load your Amex Serve card with VGCs at WM or pretty much any place else. Is this correct?
My understanding is that you didn't bother to read the Serve thread before posting. Is this correct?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bulletin2007
Same here. Makes me anxious. I'm considering a pause on this method and getting all my UR points out of Chase just in case.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ejh25
Same here. Makes me anxious. I'm considering a pause on this method and getting all my UR points out of Chase just in case.
Unless flyertalk gets flooded with Ink shutdown reports, I wouldn't be TOO worried. That said, I wouldn't keep a 6 figure balance in UR either if you're heavily hitting the Staples gift cards. It's a shame because it's otherwise better to have your points at UR -- because of the flexibility -- but the main goal has to be not to lose them. Besides, you probably know where you're likely to transfer them, anyway. And you can "make more" the next month.

So if it were me, I'd keep earning the points, but I'd transfer the majority of my points away from UR.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ejh25
I read the chase closing CC thread, got anxious, and transferred all my UR out.. Not very happy about that since now I'm stuck with UA when I want to fly.. But better than losing all points.
I'm also stopping MS on Ink. I even thought about rotating my chase cards for normal spending every month..
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Pecan Pie
I read the chase closing CC thread, got anxious, and transferred all my UR out.. Not very happy about that since now I'm stuck with UA when I want to fly.. But better than losing all points.
I'm also stopping MS on Ink. I even thought about rotating my chase cards for normal spending every month..
Back when I read that thread at least, Chase was giving people 30 days to transfer their UR points after they got shut down. Until the dust settles I'm going to keep my UR in place and keep MSing on Chase cards, I'm just going to do it all at 1x and forgo bonus spending except on legitimate transactions like restaurant spending, etc.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
Back when I read that thread at least, Chase was giving people 30 days to transfer their UR points after they got shut down. Until the dust settles I'm going to keep my UR in place and keep MSing on Chase cards, I'm just going to do it all at 1x and forgo bonus spending except on legitimate transactions like restaurant spending, etc.

It's not a bad strategy I guess. If AGC was still alive, 1x on chase cards would still be pretty good. I hope AGC comes back soon
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Pecan Pie
It's not a bad strategy I guess. If AGC was still alive, 1x on chase cards would still be pretty good. I hope AGC comes back soon
Luckily I've got Chase cards grandfathered in on a bunch of TD Go accounts so right now the only cost I incur is the $1.50 BP fee at KM.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Can someone please point me to the thread where this is discussed? I can't seem to find it.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
2 years ago when VR were all the rage at OD, this was a common fear too. But instead of shutting a lot of people down, they just changed the rules, and now that avenue is dead. I never panicked. I just kept hitting the 5X hard every month, but also transferring all my points out every month too. B/c Chase has limits, 50K a year, they cover their potential losses better than some other cards with no cap. Hence, I am still hitting staples hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.