Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by jk77341
For those folks still doing the $200 GC to BB thing... what do you all do with the cards once they are used up? Just chuck them in the bin on the way out of Wally World? (Depending on the store, I would love to see the face of the person assigned to empty out those garbage bins and see a ton of these cards inside )

I am amassing quite a collection. Wondering if there is a way to recycle these things, even just to be environmentally friendly...
if you are sure your purchases are FINAL, you can safely toss them but if you use them to buy something that there's a chance of possible return, it is best to keep that card with the store receipt because when you do a return, some stores will put the refund on the V/MC you used as payment. While some would agree to give you store credit, others may not and insist on putting it back to your original mode of payment. If you can't retrieve your card, you may be SOL.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:38 am

Finally awarded almost 50k in SB points from 8k in VGC purchases at Staples.com from late April. 3 months is better than nothing!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I placed two orders for VGCs on 7/21 (my usual order) and 7/22 (with Visa checkout coupon). They both went through and I got shipped confirmations on both, but I received one order last Friday and still haven't received the other one. I got the authorization codes for both so I know the order went through. Now I'm worried that the cards from the second order got lost in the mail. Has anyone had any experience dealing with lost cards or should I just wait it out a few more days?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by iceman77_7
I placed two orders for VGCs on 7/21 (my usual order) and 7/22 (with Visa checkout coupon). They both went through and I got shipped confirmations on both, but I received one order last Friday and still haven't received the other one. I got the authorization codes for both so I know the order went through. Now I'm worried that the cards from the second order got lost in the mail. Has anyone had any experience dealing with lost cards or should I just wait it out a few more days?
On my visa checkout orders, I got one on Monday and another today - and I'm still waiting for the activation codes. I'd suggest waiting a few more days.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by azcoyote
On my visa checkout orders, I got one on Monday and another today - and I'm still waiting for the activation codes. I'd suggest waiting a few more days.
If activation codes don't come within a day I just call and get them activated over the phone by giving them the GC number. They'll get them all activated within an hour or two.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:52 pm

Is this something new?

We are unable to complete your order for the following reason:
In order to comply with Federal anti-money laundering regulations, Staples does not sell more than $2,000 of gift cards in any order. Please adjust your order and continue to Secure Checkout.
I'm trying for exactly 2000 though. I've succesfully placed many orders of 10 x 200 previously, and my last successful one was just two weeks ago as well.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:07 pm

my order that i placed on 7/20 disappeared. tried again today and got the 2k limit message
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
You never know. Anything can happen in love, war & MS.
They are. This is something else. A coupon.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by VizeL
Is this something new?

I'm trying for exactly 2000 though. I've succesfully placed many orders of 10 x 200 previously, and my last successful one was just two weeks ago as well.
I tried ordering 8x200 + 3x100 + 1x25 cards and got the message even though the gift card value is only $1925. But it's $2006.40 when including the fees. My guess is the IT guy did some sloppy update and doesn't exclude the fee in the total amount.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:48 pm

Any reason you do 3x 100 and 1x25? Or was that just to test this?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VizeL
Is this something new?

Definitely new. Just had this happen this week for the first time. I subsequently placed 2 $1,900 orders on different days and both processed.

Thanks.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by ejh25
Definitely new. Just had this happen this week for the first time. I subsequently placed 2 $1,900 orders on different days and both processed.

Thanks.
If I may ask how do you liquidate? Kate can be a pain with those things and evolve is much more limited in quantity now...
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by mastermind85
If I may ask how do you liquidate? Kate can be a pain with those things and evolve is much more limited in quantity now...
I absolutely disagree. Kate works like a charm with these cards. She takes less than 10 minutes to lead 1K onto BB.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by mastermind85
I use Evolve plus MO. I can get rid of 6 of these in an hour at grocery stores all within 15 minutes of my house.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:44 am

.... it, I just go to 24 hour WMs and liquidate at 2-3 AM on Kates. Minimal traffic, nobody really to question you ... lets be honest the people working there at 2-3am couldn't give two ......

Takes me a very long time to liquidate though.....usually run the gamut of my BB limits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.