Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CX, DL, EK, F9, GA, HA, IB, JL, KE, LH, MH, NH, OS, PG, QR, RJ, SA, TG, UA, VN, WN, ZH
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I do appreciate the cautious, my friends, but is there a thread talking about bans and folks that have gotten in trouble? If you don't want to answer, please PM me.

This cloak and dager stuff does get a little crazy on this board. We never learn anything without experimentation, yet I don't want to be reckless if others have already crashed and burned. I've yet to be banned from anywhere (other than Netspend, but so did everyone!) as I never push to extremes.
Staples.com ban is not just limited to this forum. See (all the data points) for yourself by doing a simple google search. Or simply don't believe any of the warnings and just do it.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:36 pm

Does any blogger here or anyone else have an affiliate link for Staples? If so, PM me as I have an offer for ya
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by lad2
Staples.com ban is not just limited to this forum. See (all the data points) for yourself by doing a simple google search. Or simply don't believe any of the warnings and just do it.
This.

Google "Staples + Blacklist"
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by lad2
I did google search and found ZIPPO. Thus, why I asked the question. So you are saying that folks have gotten banned for this very practice? Using Staples gift cards to buy Visa's?

thank you; I just want this crystal clear as I found absolutely nothing. I was VERY aware folks have been banned for other issues.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CC, Hyatt & IHG
I did google search and found ZIPPO. Thus, why I asked the question. So you are saying that folks have gotten banned for this very practice? Using Staples gift cards to buy Visa's?

thank you; I just want this crystal clear as I found absolutely nothing. I was VERY aware folks have been banned for other issues.
I found that interesting since I was able to find a few sites like Slick & Fatwallet that explained in the detail manner. Perhaps you need to change the search engine?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:10 pm

I think it's time we just stop trying to talk him out of it and encourage him to go for it.

So-called fan, you are on to us. You have totally figured our plan out. Use a ton of Staples GC every time you order GCs. For as much as you can.

Also take some OV to WM while you're at it, and buy your VRs with CC at 7-11.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My uPromise account *finally* got funded for my $2k purchase back on 4/28.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ChuckHH
I found that interesting since I was able to find a few sites like Slick & Fatwallet that explained in the detail manner. Perhaps you need to change the search engine?
Thank you for answering my question.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:57 pm

Has this happened to your or others? I have used $15-20 rebate GC a few times with no problems.
For clarification, are you referring to the Visa prepaid rebate card or a Staples gift card.

Your first orders may go through, but you will eventually get blacklisted or banned. Not worth the risk - if you plan to continue to shop & buy other items from staples.com besides VGC's.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
Has anyone received S&E credit from Swagbucks for purchasing VGC back in April,May 2014? I have a total of 13.314 SB pending since 4/30/14
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA,DL,SPG,Hyatt
i have received the cards from a recent order for 5 days but not the activation codes. what can i do?
thanks
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by sunspotzsz
i have received the cards from a recent order for 5 days but not the activation codes. what can i do?
thanks
this happens to me ALL THE TIME and as most recently as today. so what you do is call 1-877-426-2551 and let them know that you received the gift cards, but not the activation codes.

they rep will give you some mumbo-jumbo about escalating it to their second tier rep and they will 'open a ticket for you' with your order number, and after you have verified your billing address. they also give you a 'ticket number'.

so they are actually activating the cards for you, and within an hour or two you can call the number on the back of the card ... when you hear your card has a balance it's now active.

hope this all helps!
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
How slow are online orders to home

I placed an order for 2 VGC's on 7/14, just got a shipping confirmation today (7/18) that says expected delivery is 7/29 (2 weeks after purchase??!!). When I check my order on staples.com status is "Processing Order". This is my first time ordering online, my usual staples store has been out of them for a while now. Is this typical?

Speaking of in-store purchasing, the store moved GC's to another area with a much smaller selection in general and at the moment ZERO non-retail GC's. Hoping this is temporary, as it seems the area was still being reworked, although the number of slots for GC's in general seemed a lot smaller than before.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by daslax
I placed an order for 2 VGC's on 7/14, just got a shipping confirmation today (7/18) that says expected delivery is 7/29 (2 weeks after purchase??!!). When I check my order on staples.com status is "Processing Order". This is my first time ordering online, my usual staples store has been out of them for a while now. Is this typical?

Speaking of in-store purchasing, the store moved GC's to another area with a much smaller selection in general and at the moment ZERO non-retail GC's. Hoping this is temporary, as it seems the area was still being reworked, although the number of slots for GC's in general seemed a lot smaller than before.
In my experience typical, although in the sense that airlines tell you it's a 3 hour flight when it's really 2 so that if a bunch of stuff goes wrong, you're still "on time". Your GC flight will land closer to 2 hours
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CC, Hyatt & IHG
Yeah, the expected time is two weeks; nonetheless, it shows up around a week later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.