Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by doinky
I missed the posts on staples gc, no problems loading at kates? i know ov stopped working. thanks. Worked last month but didnt try recently
I loaded on 28 Jun with no problems.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:29 pm

Denied at Staples

I tried to buy $200 x 7 Mastercard gift cards with my Chase Ink Bold at Staples today, and the register denied my card with a red message that said to use an alternate form of payment. The cashier tried the transaction at another register and the same message. Tried to do it with $200 x 2 = $400, but it failed also. I used another credit card and it went through. Has Chase blocked my card from Staples? Do you think I am red flagged by Chase. I was able to purchase $200 GC's online at Staples.com. Has anybody else run into this type of situation?

Last edited by businessworkflyer; Jul 3, 2014 at 11:59 pm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
I bought 8x $200. cards at Staples brick and mortar store about 1 hour ago with Chase Ink. No issues.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 12:48 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by businessworkflyer
I tried to buy $200 x 7 Mastercard gift cards with my Chase Ink Bold at Staples today, and the register denied my card with a red message that said to use an alternate form of payment. The cashier tried the transaction at another register and the same message. Tried to do it with $200 x 2 = $400, but it failed also. I used another credit card and it went through. Has Chase blocked my card from Staples? Do you think I am red flagged by Chase. I was able to purchase $200 GC's online at Staples.com. Has anybody else run into this type of situation?
I haven't had any trouble yet with Ink but quite a bit with Chase MP card when I was starting out I would get hit with shutdowns on purchases when Chase triggered a fraud alert. A call to customer service cleared it up immediately. If they email you alerts you can clear online. If they text you alerts you can clear via text. It's likely not a Staples thing, it's a Chase thing. They shut it down when they are afraid of getting stuck with a charge but once you let them know it was you who was making the charge (and so they are off the hook) they happily re-enable the card. They've never asked me what I was buying when I call in. They sometimes ask me to confirm the last three charges (amounts, not items) I've made on the card but I've never had any trouble other than the annoyance of my card getting shut down periodically for fraud alerts. I take it with a grain of salt now since it seems to happen fairly frequently on my MP card but it's an easy fix. Fortunately, it hasn't happened yet on Ink for me.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Are you over your limit?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
It's probably a fraud alert and your card was denied. I had that before, just call the number on the back of the card and it will be fixed for future usage.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Is the card working elsewhere?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:06 pm

No Chase Bold Ink Fraud Alert triggered

Originally Posted by tomsam
Is the card working elsewhere?
Yes, the Chase Ink Bold card WORKS everywhere else, and I have had not had any fraud alerts. Right after being denied at Staples, I went and purchased gasoline.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:09 pm

Plenty of CL left.

Originally Posted by vinyalwhl
Are you over your limit?
No I have a $12,000 CL with less than $1000, I had paid it off for the month.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 5:09 pm

It was not a fraud alert.

Originally Posted by vfdfs2
It's probably a fraud alert and your card was denied. I had that before, just call the number on the back of the card and it will be fixed for future usage.
Yes, the Chase Ink Bold card WORKS everywhere else, and I have had not had any fraud alerts. Right after being denied at Staples, I went and purchased gasoline.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:19 pm

simply call your 800# they will tell you about it.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:28 pm

Back when the portals were paying out for these, I bought a bunch of $200 VGC online. After the portals went down, I began liquidating the ones I had via Evolve. NOw that EM has a limit of 4 payments/month, I find these too hard to liquidate. I went to my go-to WM yesterday, and the machine is still down. Loading BB/Serve with $200 VGC at cashiers is painful!
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Back when the portals were paying out for these, I bought a bunch of $200 VGC online. After the portals went down, I began liquidating the ones I had via Evolve. NOw that EM has a limit of 4 payments/month, I find these too hard to liquidate. I went to my go-to WM yesterday, and the machine is still down. Loading BB/Serve with $200 VGC at cashiers is painful!
But...it builds character...
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I went to my go-to WM yesterday, and the machine is still down. Loading BB/Serve with $200 VGC at cashiers is painful!
You don't know how lucky you are. Some areas don't even have machines.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:16 am

200-dollar Visa Gift cards at Staples.com

I purchased 5k last month and it never showed my bonus 5x on UR. anyone else get this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.