Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:04 am

I was lucky enough to buy 9 of the OD's $20 promotion virtual Visa prepaid cards using OD ink recycling rewards & OD gift cards before they removed the item from being available for purchase ($180 worth of prepaids for $160). Yesterday I received a shipping confirmation email from OD with tracking information.

It looks like I'm only able to use 1 prepaid gift card per order. I plan to buy 3 x $200 VGC's, paying with Ink and 1 $20 virtual Visa prepaid. Rinse and repeat.

Does staples.com "care" how many of the same orders I place?

Last edited by pwned; Jun 23, 2014 at 4:37 am
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by vfdfs2
Thank you for your post. I was hesitated to post my problem, but it turned out you have the same issue. I ordered the normal batch of 10 per order, but today's batch only have 7 instead of 10. Both Staples order status and chase ink shows 2069.xx. meaning i had indeed ordered 10. Anyone else have the same situation, please post.
Did 2 orders of 5x 200 for 10 cards total last week.

Checked my mail last night since I was out of town for the weekend, 2 big brown oversized envelopes.

First one had 3 cards, 2nd one had 4 cards. No activation codes yet, assume I'll get them today or tomorrow...and hopefully the last 3 cards too.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by vfdfs2
Thank you for your post. I was hesitated to post my problem, but it turned out you have the same issue. I ordered the normal batch of 10 per order, but today's batch only have 7 instead of 10. Both Staples order status and chase ink shows 2069.xx. meaning i had indeed ordered 10. Anyone else have the same situation, please post.
Exact same thing happened to me (7/10 cards and chase ink shows 2069 already charged). Called GCM customer service rep who confirmed that 'a partial order had been filled' and that the other 3 cards would be delivered with activation codes prior to 7/1. Very nice and prompt csr!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by neworleans flyer
Exact same thing happened to me (7/10 cards and chase ink shows 2069 already charged). Called GCM customer service rep who confirmed that 'a partial order had been filled' and that the other 3 cards would be delivered with activation codes prior to 7/1. Very nice and prompt csr!
Thank you for finding and getting an explanation from GCM. I got the activation code today, but only 7 cards are on there. There was no second shipment (yet) for the remainder 3 cards. It suck that many of us are getting this situation because thatch $600 down, but as a whole group, we have some peace of mind from the worry.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by myndreamland
Weird situation. Ordered 9 GC on the 18 and received 6 today. The weirdest thing is the enclosed paper only shows 6 cards with the activation codes for 6. It is as if I ordered only 6 instead of 9. However, the pending charge on my ink is definitely 1k8ish. Has anyone experienced this issue? Thanks.
Originally Posted by Broncocsu05
yeah...they usually send a 2nd shipment. this happened when i ordered 8. got activation codes for 6 and then 2. actual gift cards came in 2 sets as well, but different numbers. 5 and 3 i believe.
Good to know. Same thing happened to me today on a 10 card purchase - received 7 cards today with 7 codes .....
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:27 am

I'm about to give up on this as WM is a pain to get to and load $200 at a time with kate. Any other liquidation suggestions other than evolve (not enough bills) or AP? MOs seem shady as hell splitting between 3 cards per $500 and AFTs are hella expensive to liquidate this way. Any advice is appreciated.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:34 am

Reload BB at WM?

Do these cards still work to reload BB at WM? Just want to make sure I don't have the same issue as with the OVs.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by TexAg07
Do these cards still work to reload BB at WM? Just want to make sure I don't have the same issue as with the OVs.
MAN!!! Hello and welcome to the forum. Yes BUT START SLOW!!! For the love of God do not go to Staples and buy 10 and then get stuck with them, without knowing AT LEAST three ways to get rid of them.

So, buy one or two and try for yourself, but as of now - yes they can be used
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by raccah
MAN!!! Hello and welcome to the forum. Yes BUT START SLOW!!! For the love of God do not go to Staples and buy 10 and then get stuck with them, without knowing AT LEAST three ways to get rid of them.

So, buy one or two and try for yourself, but as of now - yes they can be used
Thanks for getting back to me. I've been lurking for awhile but have decided I might as well start contributing.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mastermind85
I'm about to give up on this as WM is a pain to get to and load $200 at a time with kate. Any other liquidation suggestions other than evolve (not enough bills) or AP? MOs seem shady as hell splitting between 3 cards per $500 and AFTs are hella expensive to liquidate this way. Any advice is appreciated.
I'm in the same boat - not sure whether to continue with these things based on my effective cpm. Loading them on to BB at WM (either through Kate or cashier) is more of a pain now - don't feel comfortable holding up the line for more than 2 at a time. Also, I do MO at grocery stores and split payments for $400 MO.

But I guess I need help with the math to see if it works. Using the InK card I am getting 1k UR points for $4.88 + MO fees. If I use my United Club card or my SPG Amex, I can buy $500 OV at CVS and convert them over to MO for a little better return. Using my Club I can get 1500 United miles for $4.95 + MO fees or using my SPG I can get (effectively) 1200 points for $4.95 + MO fees. Anyone see any reason to keep ordering the cards through Staples - other than the fact that I might find UR more valuable than United miles or SPG points?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:09 am

You can use a portal for staples.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
I'm in the same boat - not sure whether to continue with these things based on my effective cpm. Loading them on to BB at WM (either through Kate or cashier) is more of a pain now - don't feel comfortable holding up the line for more than 2 at a time. Also, I do MO at grocery stores and split payments for $400 MO.

But I guess I need help with the math to see if it works. Using the InK card I am getting 1k UR points for $4.88 + MO fees. If I use my United Club card or my SPG Amex, I can buy $500 OV at CVS and convert them over to MO for a little better return. Using my Club I can get 1500 United miles for $4.95 + MO fees or using my SPG I can get (effectively) 1200 points for $4.95 + MO fees. Anyone see any reason to keep ordering the cards through Staples - other than the fact that I might find UR more valuable than United miles or SPG points?
Maybe I'm confused here. Here is the way I see it, per GC purchased.

You are getting 1035 UR points per $200 Staples GC. Fees are $6.95 but it is reduced to $4.88. Add in a .50 MO so it comes out to $5.38

You are getting 505 SPG points per $500 OV. Fees here are 4.95+ .50 MO so it comes out to $5.45

You are basically getting double the amount of UR points per at Staples than you are for SPG points using OV's at CVS. The fees are basically are very close too when you deduct the discount from Visa Savings edge.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by zoob27
You [-]can[/-] used to be able to use a portal for staples.
Fixed it for you.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Fuerza
Maybe I'm confused here. Here is the way I see it, per GC purchased.

You are getting 1035 UR points per $200 Staples GC. Fees are $6.95 but it is reduced to $4.88. Add in a .50 MO so it comes out to $5.38

You are getting 505 SPG points per $500 OV. Fees here are 4.95+ .50 MO so it comes out to $5.45

You are basically getting double the amount of UR points per at Staples than you are for SPG points using OV's at CVS. The fees are basically are very close too when you deduct the discount from Visa Savings edge.
And that's why I needed help with the math, thanks! Even with counting the 25% transfer bonus with SPG (when you transfer 20k points) - I would still only get 630 SPG points per OV. And I get a 50% automatic bonus on my club card but again - only 755 miles per $500 OV. So the UR are still the better (albeit more work) option ^

And I guess there are no more portals for Staples correct?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:07 am

And that's why I needed help with the math, thanks! Even with counting the 25% transfer bonus with SPG (when you transfer 20k points) - I would still only get 630 SPG points per OV. And I get a 50% automatic bonus on my club card but again - only 755 miles per $500 OV. So the UR are still the better (albeit more work) option ^

And I guess there are no more portals for Staples correct?
Still doesnt help that we need a better way to liquidate...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.