Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: weezl
This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples(2014-2015)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
I think we should start a wiki with bets for how long this last.. I take 04/29/14 at 3pm EST.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by vinyalwhl
I think we should start a wiki with bets for how long this last.. I take 04/29/14 at 3pm EST.
I'll take 5/3/14 at 4pm EST. I think their financial quarter ends 5/4/14. Nothing like a promo of big dollar items to push up sales $$.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by raccah
Just heard back from Staples, via a robot call and the order has been delayed - it must be all of you crazy FT folks keeping all the dudes in shipping busy!!!
Got the same call. ETA is now May 13. Maybe just an inventory issue due to increased demand.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
Got the same call. ETA is now May 13. Maybe just an inventory issue due to increased demand.
From the emails, my expected delivery dates for orders yesterday and today are all May 12. No calls yet.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
I am also gonna postulate that if no shutdowns occur from this, then Chase officially does not care about GC purchases.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
It's already up on two different blogs on BA.
Make that 3 now. Sooner or later, this is going to get flooded with MSers at WM really soon.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: Delta
Are ya'll just going for 10 at a time, or do you do several small separate orders?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: United MP, American AAdvantage, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Originally Posted by sameoldme
Are ya'll just going for 10 at a time, or do you do several small separate orders?
your choice. no difference.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by vfdfs2
Make that 3 now. Sooner or later, this is going to get flooded with MSers at WM really soon.
Let them.
For those of us that have other MS avenues, we're golden.
Keeps heat away from them.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
+1
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
How is there an inventory issue when GiftCardMall are the supplier......?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: American Airlaines, Delta SkyMiles, United, BA, HH, Marriott, SPG, Priority Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeonitsown View Post
My chase bold is Mastercard. I noticed that some of you are using Visa Savings edge. So does that mean that there is another flavor of Chase bold (visa)?

Originally Posted by commdiver
You can call and switch to Visa. I did that a few months ago.
I would suggest applying for a new Ink card which will be the Visa rather than switching your Mastercard. That way you will get a new sign up bonus for it! If they ask you why you are applying when you already have one, just tell them you are applying for the Visa version to take advantage of the Visa perks such as Visa Savings Edge. Visa version is considered a different product so you should be getting a new sign up bonus
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vfdfs2
And most of them will be FTers.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:20 pm

Ordered 10....how quick do u get confirmation of ultimate rewards activity? I have not had good luck with purchases being tracked through ur. Any tips? Am using chrome.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Ordered 10....how quick do u get confirmation of ultimate rewards activity? I have not had good luck with purchases being tracked through ur. Any tips? Am using chrome.
I typically receive UR points confirmation a day or two after receiving notice that the cards shipped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.