Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2014, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ericliujian
Grocery stores that sell variable GCs to $500. Please understand these are observations by those who contribute to this thread and are provided for the good of the community. Apologies if some chains are different in different areas. TY.

YES:
7-11 (Vanilla Visa $20-500) - Sometimes limited to 1x per buy. Sometimes buggy. Often codes as gas station.
Big Y (CT/MA): m̶a̶x̶i̶m̶u̶m̶ ̶$̶1̶0̶0̶0̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶r̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶s̶o̶n̶,̶ ̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶;̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶a̶s̶h̶̶ Cash or debit only
CVS: Vanilla, $2000 max 24 hours
Family Fare (hit and miss)
Food Lion (Post 287 reports no good CC experience. YMMV, Manager override needed cash only memo)
Giant - now accepts CCs as of 10/1/16 - recent change from past cash or debit only policy.
Glens
Haggen
HEB -- usually limited to $1000 total (with fees) but many times they'll sell 2-3 if you split into separate transactions.
H-T
Hy-Vee ($500 limit)
Hannafords (multiple reports that Visa / MC / AMEX GCs are no longer sold at stores)
Kroger (DL will be requested and DL no. entered, even if just buying 1). If you use CHIP PIN card, no DL will be requested
Lowe's Foods (Manager override needed)
Marianos
Meijer Mastercard ONLY (US Bank)
QFC
Ralph's - in So Cal they sell $500 variable load cards
Safeway/Albertsons - most (all?) stores sell $500 variable load. Their banners include Acme, Randalls/Tom Thumb, Vons/Pavilions, Shaw's/Star, and others.
Stop & Shop (when it's stocked - manager override required for $500 and up)
Stater Bros
Walgreen: Vanilla
Weiss: cash only
Winn-Dixie ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager for each card - but some cashiers have the override code, and almost all customer service reps have it) (Cash/debit only per #544: edit: varies by region)

PREVIOUSLY:
A&P - Out of business
Acme (DE/MD/NJ/PA). Many in NJ now say NO and stock as been pulled
Albertsons ($1K and up in single transaction requires override from manager and every single VGC over $1K requires override each time)
AutoZone (Vanilla Visa $20-500). Pulled off the shelf now (4/2018) - Update: Was told by store MGR these are seasonal thus expect OCT-JAN each year. If in stock (in back) they can sell them all year.
Jewel
Ralph's
Randalls ($500 VGC purchase requires manager override and they usually check CC vs photo ID)
Safeway ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
ShopRite (not all). SR no longer stock variable load up to $500.00. The variable loads the have now only allow a max of $200.00 for the same 5.95 fee.
Vons ($500 and up in single transaction requires override from manager just 1 time)
Whole Foods $500 (Now only $200 max)

NO:
Publix ($50 and $25)
Festival Foods
Giant Eagle
Bi-Lo

Grocers that sell $200:
Most Albertsons' subsidiaries listed in 'PREVIOUSLY'
Bashas'
HEB
McCaffrey
Piggly Wiggly-up to 200 max. of 1k per transaction 4.95 fee no ID required
Shaws/Star Market $500 Amazon GCs are still around, but all other GCs are only up to $200 at this time.
Shop Rite
Tops
Wegmans
Whole Food

Improvements and additions welcome.

Note: this thread began as an attempt to find out if a Kroger store in the area where jan_believes was travelling might have the variable $500 Visa GC since the store where I was at the time, did not. It has morphed into a discussion about MOs (at Kroger, although other stores MAY be included but not mentioned), as well. Not the intent of the discussion. Use discretion, please. Local rules apply.
Print Wikipost

Stores that sell $500 GCs(up to 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by nakataboi
Also would love to know. Both Ralphs that I was able to do this at earlier this year do not allow it anymore....

Orange county area

I've bought GCs at Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons, and Stater Bros. There were a few stores that didn't let me use a CC, but the trick is to just buy one and test it out. They are more willing to let you use your CC for just one card as opposed to 3-4 where they get suspicious and scared. Once you've been there a few times and they know you, you can buy more GCs.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lappie
At my Winn Dixie I have found that $1000 (2 x $500 Univision) seems to be the sweet spot without issue.
Originally Posted by cdancer20
I have had no issue with $1k at Winn Dixie either. I haven't tried more though.
Found out today that $1500 can be purchased, but then the register would block any further purchase after that.

Need to experiment if $1K, $1K, $1K ... would work or not. Really want to be able to more than $2K in total on each trip. The reason buying at Winn Dixie is, AMEX HHonors only earns 5x at grocery store. Also here PayPower is available at $3.95 versus OV at $4.95 at CVS.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by tsmith12
I've bought GCs at Ralphs, Vons, Albertsons, and Stater Bros. There were a few stores that didn't let me use a CC, but the trick is to just buy one and test it out. They are more willing to let you use your CC for just one card as opposed to 3-4 where they get suspicious and scared. Once you've been there a few times and they know you, you can buy more GCs.
Except for needing supervisor approval, I've had no problems at Albertsons, Ralphs, or Vons.

I was denied at a Pavilions today. This was my first total refusal to sell with credit card. Surprised, as this is basically a higher-end Vons in a "good" neighborhood.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I went out of town for Easter and so glad this thread is still offering a bit of a service to the community.

I was in two Kroger cities and again had no issues with GC transactions (though I didn't buy as many this time) or MOs with multiple GC debits.

I do wish I could extend the grace I'm getting to everyone. But, persevere, and add info to this thread for others whenever you have proven data.

Thank you!

Last edited by jan_believes; Apr 24, 2014 at 10:28 am
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Alternate areas to consider looking, asking

Originally Posted by alymae1010
Purchased a $500 variable VGC card at Schnucks (STL area). Cards are not out on the racks, but you can buy them at the customer service desk.
Very glad you mentioned that.

That is a pattern I see at the Kroger stores. The displays are awash with MC GCs but very low or gonzo on the Visa Variables.

Please check each aisle where grocers "hawk" the last minute marketing of buying GCs. I found mine there. Even if you only find one, at least, you haven't wasted all your time.

If anyone wants to include a story of buying the variable MC and having an ok experience with the liquidation process, please feel free to do so. You might just help someone out in a bind with time or minimum spend requirements. Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:44 am

No one tried Winn-Dixie or Publix?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kingrat
Oh my goodness, get out the wet noodle.

I didn't even check and I was IN a Publix. Sam's Club was a wash for good veggies/fruits so we went to Publix on our route. Missed that entirely!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by kingrat
No $500 GCs at Publix.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:42 pm
vishnu88

Programs: Chase UR, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, United MileagePlus
It's getting really hard to find variable load Visa GCs at Ralphs. Sometimes the cashiers have them in their aisles, or sometimes they are even near the exit doors on a separate rack.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:01 pm

Amex Hilton is 5x for groceries. Would I get 5x hilton points for gift cards bought at a grocery store?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:05 pm

I'm glad everyone has an aversion to MC GCs.

I don't mind taking a minute to set a PIN and where I get MOs has no issue with them.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by mrmandel
Shaw's/Star Market requires manager override for anything over $300.
For us, Shaws has been a YMMV situation. We try to avoid older women cashiers, younger women and most men will usually let the $500 through. We don't attempt higher amounts.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Amex Hilton is 5x for groceries. Would I get 5x hilton points for gift cards bought at a grocery store?
Yes, because the charge is categorized as a grocery store purchase not as an individual gift card purchase.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hamhead
I'm glad everyone has an aversion to MC GCs.

I don't mind taking a minute to set a PIN and where I get MOs has no issue with them.
Hey, good to hear. I only avoid them because the comments here reflect that they are more of a "pain" somehow.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
High V. Been buying 500 at a shot for over a year. Tried 1000 and as usual the manager had to be brought over, only this time he scuttled back to a little office and the cashier made up a phony story to get me to look towards the security cameras... oh brother....

The manager then comes out and says "Sorry, 200 max due to fraud". All this time they don't even check my ID. It's easier to catch me afterwards than actually prevent the fraud?

Went back the next day, 500 no problem so 1000 is their limit for fraudsters...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.