Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ffly45
Read the wiki carefully before posting. Wiki may be out of date.
800-950-5114. Non-US agents are, as of at least August 15, 2015, able to do debit card payments. If they resist, ask for a US agent.
Please do not report that debit payments do not work over the phone, they do! Hang up and call again (HUCA) until you get someone capable.

The same thing can be done in a Citi branch, but you do not swipe the debit card or enter any PIN, so it seems likely that the same cards do/don't work in branch as over the phone.
The name on the debit card must match the name on the account. You can be an authorized card holder (they'll ask the name of the primary). You can also pay off Citi Business credit cards (only attempted as primary cardholder). Limit of one payment per debit card per account per day.

Debit cards that work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
All Mastercard & Visa debit cards attached to regular checking accounts:
  • Alaska - some have not gotten miles;
  • SunTrust - no miles;
  • UFB Direct - $2000 daily limit - no miles.
Coinbase (shutdowns have been reported)
Green Dot (permanent card)
H&R Block Emerald
JH Preferred
M1 Plus (no cb)
MVD (shutdowns have been reported)
Paypal Business Debit Mastercard (no 1% cb)
Pennywise Power "payday rewards" Visa cards (Bancorp, MB financial Bank N.A)
Simple Card - see post #347
Swagbucks virtual visa (issued by Prepaid Digital Solutions)
Swagbucks virtual mastercard (issued by MyPrepaidCenter)
Topcashback virtual visa (issued by Bancorp)
T-Mobile (temp and perm, shutdowns have been reported)
Wells Fargo

Debit cards that DO NOT work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
American Express Gift Card
American Express for Target
Bluebird
Serve
Chase Starbucks Prepaid (post)
Curve Commercial Debit
Google Wallet
Green Dot (temporary card registered with zip and pin)
MetaBank Visa/MC
US Bank/USB GC
Paypower (temporary card registered with zip and pin) - post 283
Sunrise Bank Visa
US Bank Mastercard/Visa prepaid
US Bank Visa Buxx
TD Go Card
Vanilla Visa/Mastercard (issued by Bancorp) (incl. OneVanilla, Vanilla Debit)

Print Wikipost

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by MSerforfun
Can someone update the Wiki regarding those accounts
Capital One - processed as if it was a cash advance and therefore prepaid gift cards do not work
Barclays - Won't take a payment using debit card unless the account is overdue
American Express - Won't take a payment using debit cards at all

I just tried all those three above and that's the feedback I received from all these banks.
Wells Fargo. Same thing

Ps did you,try a prepaid debt with capital one or did you just assume they don't work based on the "processed" as cash advance bit? I say this because I believe technically Citi processes debit payments as cash advance also, but yet some prepaids still work.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the debit/prepaid world, is there even such a thing as a cash advance as distinct from a normal charge?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by indelible
I do it all the time at $4-5k per visit. better than depositing into a checking acct IMO.
yeah, that'll work- til it doesn't.

into a checking account is WAY WAY better. that is, a checking account at a bank or CU that doesn't issue CC's you fancy now or in the future. doing ANYTHING with ANY cash equivalent with ANY bank that issues CC's you have/want is needlessly reckless/naive/misguided.

btw, that even included depositing Cashier's Checks to then pay your CC (what killed ALL my Chase cards. and i only did it 3x in a year). in fact, i would now argue that using walmart bill pay is undue risk. much better to have an ach coming from a bank account in your name. just get many of them and spread it around. note: though most don't love massive MO deposits, i think all are more tolerant to that than massive cash. work the .69 into your cost calculation and don't always get 1,000 or 999.31. i get from $700-1000 so i have a plausible explanation for my deposits (again, into NON CC issuing banks!).
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
yeah, that'll work- til it doesn't.

into a checking account is WAY WAY better. that is, a checking account at a bank or CU that doesn't issue CC's you fancy now or in the future. doing ANYTHING with ANY cash equivalent with ANY bank that issues CC's you have/want is needlessly reckless/naive/misguided.

btw, that even included depositing Cashier's Checks to then pay your CC (what killed ALL my Chase cards. and i only did it 3x in a year). in fact, i would now argue that using walmart bill pay is undue risk. much better to have an ach coming from a bank account in your name. just get many of them and spread it around. note: though most don't love massive MO deposits, i think all are more tolerant to that than massive cash. work the .69 into your cost calculation and don't always get 1,000 or 999.31. i get from $700-1000 so i have a plausible explanation for my deposits (again, into NON CC issuing banks!).
Agree on the cash part. Don't agree on the BP part. I deposited close to 7 figures last year via BP with no adverse action. I did get closed by several banks (of the 7 I use regularly) because of MO deposits (although both declined to say exactly why, it was obvious).

As for mixing up your MOs, that's as silly as it gets. No eyeballs are going to be fooled for one nanosecond because you have oddball MO amounts - they look at the volume/velocity of your deposits, not the individual amounts. Once you're flagged, no amount of oddball MO purchases is going to save you from AA.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:17 pm

So here's a datapoint. Don't know if this has been covered yet.

Different cards are sent to different customer service lines (I guess duh?). I was under the impression Citi would have a system like American Express (hah!) where if you have a Platinum Card, you receive high-tier customer service regardless of what card you're *calling in* about.

I'm able to make debit payments on my HHonors and Executive Advantage accounts with no problem.

The ThankYou Preferred card must be an inferior product, as it sends me to an offshore customer service rep. Was told couldn't do debit payments. So hung up, called the Executive line, gave my executive number, and then told the CSR that I wanted to make a debit payment on my TYP account. From there, the excellent Executive CSR was able to process the debit payment to my TY card and all was well.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:40 am
Formerly known as pmclean

Anyone have success paying with a UFB Direct debit card and earning miles?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
Different cards are sent to different customer service lines (I guess duh?). I was under the impression Citi would have a system like American Express (hah!) where if you have a Platinum Card, you receive high-tier customer service regardless of what card you're *calling in* about.

[...]So hung up, called the Executive line, gave my executive number, and then told the CSR that I wanted to make a debit payment on my TYP account. From there, the excellent Executive CSR was able to process the debit payment to my TY card and all was well.
I did something similar this week when the Hilton Reserve number sent me into an obnoxious sales pitch loop I couldn't get out of. I tried a few times, then gave up and called the AA Exec number. When it asked for the last 4 of the card, I put the Hilton card numbers in and it was automatically directed to the right department.

(Unrelated to Citi, I also had your issue when calling about my Chase Freedom card. There was no recognition that I also held the CSP and it was a lot more hassle to get my purchase unblocked than with CSP.)
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by parismama
Anyone have success paying with a UFB Direct debit card and earning miles?
It works. Go crazy. I do.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by tigerhunt2011
So here's a datapoint. Don't know if this has been covered yet.

I'm able to make debit payments on my HHonors and Executive Advantage accounts with no problem.

The ThankYou Preferred card must be an inferior product, as it sends me to an offshore customer service rep. Was told couldn't do debit payments. So hung up, called the Executive line, gave my executive number, and then told the CSR that I wanted to make a debit payment on my TYP account. From there, the excellent Executive CSR was able to process the debit payment to my TY card and all was well.
I always call the forward/dividend phone number, which I assume is the bottom tier. No troubles, even when I use my Hilton/prestige/etc.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
From my experience I always get US based reps (i think it has something to do with payment history)
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:34 pm

The UFB direct only allows $1,500 debit per day. I can run $15,000 a month on my Citibank card. Is this unreasonable to expect Citibank to deal with? Has anyone ever been denied the 'privilege' because they did it too much?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by Mortgasm
The UFB direct only allows $1,500 debit per day. I can run $15,000 a month on my Citibank card. Is this unreasonable to expect Citibank to deal with? Has anyone ever been denied the 'privilege' because they did it too much?
Never been a problem. Just call every day and pay $1500 per day.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:03 pm

fyi - i called city to cxl my Exec card, its approaching 1 year anniversary and I have 2. They offered me $450 stmt credit if I spend 5k per month for 3 months. This is amazing!.. All I do is load form Citi and pay back to citi. I am not at 15k per month yet, I have to figure out how you do that.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by chaser123
fyi - i called city to cxl my Exec card, its approaching 1 year anniversary and I have 2. They offered me $450 stmt credit if I spend 5k per month for 3 months. This is amazing!.. All I do is load form Citi and pay back to citi. I am not at 15k per month yet, I have to figure out how you do that.
Do people get offers every time they cancel? Should I call every time I receive the credit to cxl?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by chaser123
Do people get offers every time they cancel? Should I call every time I receive the credit to cxl?
You should call every time just in case but they do not ALWAYS have an offer for you. You can also turn your card into another type with no AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.