FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1550209-paying-citi-cards-debit-cards-including-prepaid-debit-cards.html)

KennyBSAT Feb 9, 2014 11:53 am

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Sometime in early 2013, I needed to make a payment on a Citi card with a painfully small CL in order to book some tickets and get the credit offered on that card. Due to Citi's limitations, I could not make the payment online nor push a payment from my bank. So I called in and was offered the option to pay with a debit card. I never took the time to do any experimenting with this option but after I made a post in the AA executive thread, others have(HT rgAAFT). The conversation about it starts here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post22312197 and runs for at least 5 pages in between other posts on the Executive card itself.

Takeaways based on info from phone CSR:

I agree with the opinion of this post:

Originally Posted by rgAAFT (Post 22315479)
    HUGE DATA POINT
    Tested visa gift card issued by Bancorp and it worked
    I really don't think it matters which issuer it is!!!!!!!
    Use wisely Do not abuse
    According to rep the only restrictions are

Any payment amount as long as debit card allows And only once per day with ONE debit card only No splits
    Visa and MC only

(Slightly altered, bolding mine.)

pricesquire Feb 9, 2014 1:27 pm

Kenny: good work, per usual.

drdrew450 Feb 9, 2014 1:38 pm

I imagine this would work with other banks like chase and BOA. Anyone know for sure?

ncSam Feb 9, 2014 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450 (Post 22316925)
    I imagine this would work with other banks like chase and BOA. Anyone know for sure?

Didn't work for Chase when I tried. Someone had similar experience in the AAdvantage Executive thread I believe.

pricesquire Feb 9, 2014 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by ncSam (Post 22316941)
    Didn't work for Chase when I tried. Someone had similar experience in the AAdvantage Executive thread I believe.

This thread is an offshoot from the Exec thread....Kenny brought it here, as nobody wanted the Exec thread to devolve (or evolve ;)) into a MS thread.

Citi seems to be the only bank where this applies.

drdrew450 Feb 9, 2014 2:04 pm

I called 18888564255 to pay my citi hhonors card, the rep said it was not possible with debit card. Called a number on the citi site and the rep tried to pay my balance of ~2100 and it failed, I asked her to try with 900 and it failed. This was with my paypal debit mastercard. I was trying to pay the balance before the statement close, so not sure if that is the problem or maybe its my paypal mc?

xp0 Feb 9, 2014 2:12 pm

You need to be transferred to collections department. I have tried in the past with a certain delta debit earning card ... Payment went through no problem however miles did not get credited for that 'debit purchase'. That was just a test I did a while ago and when I found it gave me no points, went back to BP.

drdrew450 Feb 9, 2014 3:06 pm

Worked paying my citi dividend card for $700 with my univision prepaid mc.

msnut1 Feb 9, 2014 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by xp0 (Post 22317087)
    You need to be transferred to collections department. I have tried in the past with a certain delta debit earning card ... Payment went through no problem however miles did not get credited for that 'debit purchase'. That was just a test I did a while ago and when I found it gave me no points, went back to BP.

I presume you are talking about the ST Delta debit card. :( Too bad, I was going to try to pay my Citi CC bill using the Suntrust Debit Card.

pier11 Feb 9, 2014 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450 (Post 22317349)
    Worked paying my citi dividend card for $700 with my univision prepaid mc.

Is it because this CC had statement balance that much?

drdrew450 Feb 9, 2014 5:45 pm

Paid my wife's citi dividend cc the same day I paid my citi dividend cc. To pay hers I used a usb visa buxx debit card with her name on it. I paid $830. I am an authorized user, they did not need to speak with her.

xp0 Feb 9, 2014 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by msnut1 (Post 22317366)
    I presume you are talking about the ST Delta debit card. :( Too bad, I was going to try to pay my Citi CC bill using the Suntrust Debit Card.

You can try again - maybe something changed in the last 6+ months :confused:

concordian Feb 9, 2014 7:54 pm

Are there are no fees for paying with help of Citi agent? I can try to pay my Citi Exec card with Paypal MC

flyertalker9867674 Feb 9, 2014 9:27 pm

If you're not going to collect miles for this, what the hell is the point?

awardticket Feb 9, 2014 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld (Post 22319052)
    If you're not going to collect miles for this, what the hell is the point?

To increase your credit line so that you can easily spend 10K without going over your limit. Also to pay mid cycle I believe.