Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ffly45
Read the wiki carefully before posting. Wiki may be out of date.
800-950-5114. Non-US agents are, as of at least August 15, 2015, able to do debit card payments. If they resist, ask for a US agent.
Please do not report that debit payments do not work over the phone, they do! Hang up and call again (HUCA) until you get someone capable.

The same thing can be done in a Citi branch, but you do not swipe the debit card or enter any PIN, so it seems likely that the same cards do/don't work in branch as over the phone.
The name on the debit card must match the name on the account. You can be an authorized card holder (they'll ask the name of the primary). You can also pay off Citi Business credit cards (only attempted as primary cardholder). Limit of one payment per debit card per account per day.

Debit cards that work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
All Mastercard & Visa debit cards attached to regular checking accounts:
  • Alaska - some have not gotten miles;
  • SunTrust - no miles;
  • UFB Direct - $2000 daily limit - no miles.
Coinbase (shutdowns have been reported)
Green Dot (permanent card)
H&R Block Emerald
JH Preferred
M1 Plus (no cb)
MVD (shutdowns have been reported)
Paypal Business Debit Mastercard (no 1% cb)
Pennywise Power "payday rewards" Visa cards (Bancorp, MB financial Bank N.A)
Simple Card - see post #347
Swagbucks virtual visa (issued by Prepaid Digital Solutions)
Swagbucks virtual mastercard (issued by MyPrepaidCenter)
Topcashback virtual visa (issued by Bancorp)
T-Mobile (temp and perm, shutdowns have been reported)
Wells Fargo

Debit cards that DO NOT work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
American Express Gift Card
American Express for Target
Bluebird
Serve
Chase Starbucks Prepaid (post)
Curve Commercial Debit
Google Wallet
Green Dot (temporary card registered with zip and pin)
MetaBank Visa/MC
US Bank/USB GC
Paypower (temporary card registered with zip and pin) - post 283
Sunrise Bank Visa
US Bank Mastercard/Visa prepaid
US Bank Visa Buxx
TD Go Card
Vanilla Visa/Mastercard (issued by Bancorp) (incl. OneVanilla, Vanilla Debit)

Print Wikipost

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
IME, when paying with DC, all they ask from me is the DC number, exp date and CCV of the card. I have never been asked for PIN and I don't see what they need it for. Immediately after entering DC info and it goes through, they give me a confirmation number and in a few minutes, my CL is refreshed.
You will not earn miles paying Citi with a DC.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
For all of you having issues, it might be worthwhile to sign up for a Citigold checking account even if you close it a month or two later. If your account shows you are Citigold you are typically auto transferred to an account manager.

Despite my Citi checking account being closed for upwards of 8 months, I still show up as gold level in the system. I've paid by debit card upwards of 100+ times and never needed to play HUCA tag.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:54 pm

Citigold
I also believe citibank is offering 30,000 AA miles for opening up a citigold account this month. Even if you have to pay the monthly fee (avoidable) for a few months, it's less than .005 cents per mile.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
You will not earn miles paying Citi with a DC.
Just to be clear, I believe you mean using something like SunTrust.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by exarkun
Just to be clear, I believe you mean using something like SunTrust.
I have paid Citi CC with US Bank $500 MCGC until early last week. It finally died sometime this week. It was a good run for Citi Double CB.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: SPG
Just added this to the wiki, but I've been paying my Citi balances with a UFB Direct since the middle of 2014, and haven't had issues. Just have to make sure to stay under the $1500 daily limit from UFB for debit transactions.

On the flip side, I can't tell if I'm actually earning points for all this. I mainly only do citi payments and Serve loads using my UFB, and I seem to get some AA miles from UFB each month, so there's some evidence that I seem to be earning some AA miles from this.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:50 pm

No go for me this morning. Got the old "we did that in the past, but that was just a trial" line.

I'll call tomorrow. Not concerned. But surprised that they have the energy to regurgitate this line, but not get real either way.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FreakingFlyer
No go for me this morning. Got the old "we did that in the past, but that was just a trial" line.

I'll call tomorrow. Not concerned. But surprised that they have the energy to regurgitate this line, but not get real either way.
That's probably because you're not saying the secret passcode...
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by freqflyercoll
Just added this to the wiki, but I've been paying my Citi balances with a UFB Direct since the middle of 2014, and haven't had issues. Just have to make sure to stay under the $1500 daily limit from UFB for debit transactions.

On the flip side, I can't tell if I'm actually earning points for all this. I mainly only do citi payments and Serve loads using my UFB, and I seem to get some AA miles from UFB each month, so there's some evidence that I seem to be earning some AA miles from this.
This is the first month I have the UFB. When looking at the transactions serve and other charges show as POS, but citi does not. Do we still get miles for citi payments? Cam someone confirm please. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by vin58
This is the first month I have the UFB. When looking at the transactions serve and other charges show as POS, but citi does not. Do we still get miles for citi payments? Cam someone confirm please. Thanks.
Try reading the WIKI.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:32 am

Is there any debit card that earns Alaska miles (PM please) or was the wiki "Alaska - some have not gotten miles" referring to the old BOA debit card that died many months ago? Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
Try reading the WIKI.
I have. But there is no indication if the miles get posted for citi debit card payments. so asking if any one on the forum can confirm.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:44 am

Do you know why there is no cashback for Paypal Business Debit Mastercard? It is a signature-based transaction, right?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by NikSem
Do you know why there is no cashback for Paypal Business Debit Mastercard? It is a signature-based transaction, right?
Probably because it's a payment to a financial institution.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by NikSem
It shows up as a debit charge at PayPal, not signature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.