Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ffly45
Read the wiki carefully before posting. Wiki may be out of date.
800-950-5114. Non-US agents are, as of at least August 15, 2015, able to do debit card payments. If they resist, ask for a US agent.
Please do not report that debit payments do not work over the phone, they do! Hang up and call again (HUCA) until you get someone capable.

The same thing can be done in a Citi branch, but you do not swipe the debit card or enter any PIN, so it seems likely that the same cards do/don't work in branch as over the phone.
The name on the debit card must match the name on the account. You can be an authorized card holder (they'll ask the name of the primary). You can also pay off Citi Business credit cards (only attempted as primary cardholder). Limit of one payment per debit card per account per day.

Debit cards that work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
All Mastercard & Visa debit cards attached to regular checking accounts:
  • Alaska - some have not gotten miles;
  • SunTrust - no miles;
  • UFB Direct - $2000 daily limit - no miles.
Coinbase (shutdowns have been reported)
Green Dot (permanent card)
H&R Block Emerald
JH Preferred
M1 Plus (no cb)
MVD (shutdowns have been reported)
Paypal Business Debit Mastercard (no 1% cb)
Pennywise Power "payday rewards" Visa cards (Bancorp, MB financial Bank N.A)
Simple Card - see post #347
Swagbucks virtual visa (issued by Prepaid Digital Solutions)
Swagbucks virtual mastercard (issued by MyPrepaidCenter)
Topcashback virtual visa (issued by Bancorp)
T-Mobile (temp and perm, shutdowns have been reported)
Wells Fargo

Debit cards that DO NOT work for paying Citi cards over the phone.
American Express Gift Card
American Express for Target
Bluebird
Serve
Chase Starbucks Prepaid (post)
Curve Commercial Debit
Google Wallet
Green Dot (temporary card registered with zip and pin)
MetaBank Visa/MC
US Bank/USB GC
Paypower (temporary card registered with zip and pin) - post 283
Sunrise Bank Visa
US Bank Mastercard/Visa prepaid
US Bank Visa Buxx
TD Go Card
Vanilla Visa/Mastercard (issued by Bancorp) (incl. OneVanilla, Vanilla Debit)

Print Wikipost

Paying Citi cards with debit cards including prepaid debit cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2020, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by economyfly
nah ive done 15k in one go a few times...
If you’re doing that much, then you shouldn’t be flying economy. 😉
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by daedge
4842 24
i dont think those work anymore
Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:30 am

Has anyone been able to pay by debit over the phone through automated system? It doesn’t recognize when I say debit card and keeps trying to use a checking account.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
If you get checking account, just enter new checking account a couple times, error and then it'll offer debit card option

Last edited by mc93; Jul 25, 2020 at 12:49 pm Reason: error
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:24 am

USB MCGCs?

Has anyone had these work and then not work? I have some that expire later (2028) and seem to not work. Or am I imagining things? Any ideas?
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:01 pm

I can't get any that expire 2028 to work. I have only had luck with a low value 2025 that worked.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:35 am

“Deleted”

Last edited by danjs14; Sep 24, 2020 at 4:57 am
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:48 pm

Data point - I paid my Citi DC card using the PayPal Key feature that gives you a virtual debit card (Mastercard) which was linked to my Cap1 Quicksilver MC. It went through fine. BUT, Cap1 treated it as a cash advance and charged me a fee and interest. Just a warning for anyone thinking of trying this. Maybe it would come though as a purchase not a cash advance on another card, but I doubt it.
ricohitman and Prometheus77 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by daedge
Data point - I paid my Citi DC card using the PayPal Key feature that gives you a virtual debit card (Mastercard) which was linked to my Cap1 Quicksilver MC. It went through fine. BUT, Cap1 treated it as a cash advance and charged me a fee and interest. Just a warning for anyone thinking of trying this. Maybe it would come though as a purchase not a cash advance on another card, but I doubt it.
To prevent this from happening again, you can specify on your CC to set cash advances to $0, thereby preventing Cap1 from using your CC to advance you cash (which as you have seen, causes all sorts of fees and interest rate charges to accrue).
Old Nov 3, 2020, 1:09 am

Curious if anyone has used PayPal Key using a gift card to pay their Citi card? I just tried through the automated system to pay my Citi DC with Paypal key and it got rejected.

I know post #1448 was able to pay with with a credit card. I'm also curious if its because the gift card is connected to my Paypal Key?
Old Nov 3, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by alphakenny1
Curious if anyone has used PayPal Key using a gift card to pay their Citi card? I just tried through the automated system to pay my Citi DC with Paypal key and it got rejected.

I know post #1448 was able to pay with with a credit card. I'm also curious if its because the gift card is connected to my Paypal Key?
Tried this with a $50 payment. Went through then was charged cash advance fee.
ashishsg likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Tried this with a $50 payment. Went through then was charged cash advance fee.
$50 gift card or CC?

I switched my payment for my Paypal Key from the gift card to my Chase Freedom. Tried a $100 payment and it went through. We'll see about if I get charged a cash advance fee. The payment on my chase side says: PAYPAL *CITIBANK, N.A.

I guess it works with Paypal Key when using a CC connected but not a gift card?

I had no issues paying using a gift card with Paypal Key via Plastiq.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 8:18 pm

My PPK isn't showing gift cards/prepaid cards as an option. What GCs work for PPK?
Old Nov 3, 2020, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Reaching
My PPK isn't showing gift cards/prepaid cards as an option. What GCs work for PPK?
Just add the gift card to your wallet and then select that gift card as your funding option for Paypal Key.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by alphakenny1
$50 gift card or CC?

I switched my payment for my Paypal Key from the gift card to my Chase Freedom. Tried a $100 payment and it went through. We'll see about if I get charged a cash advance fee. The payment on my chase side says: PAYPAL *CITIBANK, N.A.

I guess it works with Paypal Key when using a CC connected but not a gift card?

I had no issues paying using a gift card with Paypal Key via Plastiq.
I used a chase card via PPK. You will get charged a cash advance fee trust me. I called chase and they graciously forgave the fee, but I quickly paid off the balance and still paid about .11 in cash advance interest. Worth maybe trying to attach a different card then chase maybe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.