Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAA - no processing fee giftcards

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by ntjane66
My location in Northern Virginia sold me a visa gift card that I was able to get a pin number for and then buy a mo at wm. I am waiting for the charge to move from pending so I can see how it posts.
I also purchased Visa GC (Metabank) at No. Va. AAA location. But how did you get a PIN, to use it as debit card? T&Cs state:

The card can be used at any merchant point-of-sale terminal. When making a purchase, the cardholder should select “credit” when using the card and will then sign the purchase slip.

If "debit" is selected the terminal will request a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to be entered. PIN functionality is not available on this card.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
I also purchased Visa GC (Metabank) at No. Va. AAA location. But how did you get a PIN, to use it as debit card? T&Cs state:

The card can be used at any merchant point-of-sale terminal. When making a purchase, the cardholder should select “credit” when using the card and will then sign the purchase slip.

If "debit" is selected the terminal will request a PIN (Personal Identification Number) to be entered. PIN functionality is not available on this card.
Did they give you 8 pages of "prepaid visa gift card-card holder important notice"? On page 3, which is section 3c, they provide phone number
1-866-674-9621 for you to call to get the pin.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bross
I went to my local AAA office here in the Atlanta area yesterday. The person working knew about the fee free deal and confirmed that they were selling Visa gift cards. I bought quite a few using my Delta Platinum Amex (I need a few more MQMs this year to requalify for Diamond). Went home and called the 800 number to get a PIN assigned to each one, no problem. Went to a local Walmart, the MoneyCenter kiosk was shut off, so I went to the counter and successfully deposited into my Bluebird account as well as made a bill payment to Amex. I then went to a second WalMart to see if their MoneyCenter machine was working, it was not, but also was able to go to the counter and send the rest of my gc balance as bill pay.

The deal is real, and it works.
Glad it worked for you! just some following up questions
1) is there a limit on how many you can buy?
2) did they have to input your AAA# membership number to buy the cards?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:35 am

They do enter the AAA mumber. I asked about a limit and they said there was not. In va.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:55 am

so from what I have read, it seems like you have to be a AAA member. Does anyone know if you go with a friend if they are a AAA member? Lastly, does anyone think it would be worth it to get the membership for a year to get in on the deal? I guess if you think you would have use for the AAA services throughout the year it would be for sure. It is about $50 for the year.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:20 pm

I'm going to see about my store near Baltimore and will report...
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tofe
so from what I have read, it seems like you have to be a AAA member. Does anyone know if you go with a friend if they are a AAA member? Lastly, does anyone think it would be worth it to get the membership for a year to get in on the deal? I guess if you think you would have use for the AAA services throughout the year it would be for sure. It is about $50 for the year.
For the $500 Visa card I purchased she actually swiped my membership card (they have a magnetic strip). Further, there must be some link in their system that automatically registered the card using the contact information they have for me on file because when I went to register it online it already had all my contact information.

AAA has a lot of discounts so you should be able to easily cover the membership costs between fee free gift cards and other savings.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by RedTeam10
For the $500 Visa card I purchased she actually swiped my membership card (they have a magnetic strip). Further, there must be some link in their system that automatically registered the card using the contact information they have for me on file because when I went to register it online it already had all my contact information.

AAA has a lot of discounts so you should be able to easily cover the membership costs between fee free gift cards and other savings.
Thanks for the follow up. Based on this, I think I should be still able to do this with a friends membership. The contact information on the visa card shouldn't prevent me from depositing to BB. Were you able to change the contact info online when trying to register it? If so, then you could change it for AP purposes. I still may go ahead and sign up as it would pay for itself with less than 10 fee free visa GC's.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:44 pm

Worked for me in Maryland on the afternoon of the 1st. I used a relative's membership card. I used two different CCs and they didn't bat an eye (I probably shoulda got some for each of the other CCs I carry). The transaction took a long time (the cards start out all by themselves, just cards rubber-banded together in stacks by the 100s or something LOL -- not in a flat cardboard package like we see on racks at CVS or the grocery).

Got home, called the number on the back of the card, set Visa PIN, went to kioskville. Next I'll try SoCal.

Posted as sale, not cash advance.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 1:54 pm

Anyone had any luck at the Carolinas Offices, the 1 that I stopped by on Nov 1 didnt have a clue about the promotion
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:36 pm

No luck for Cincinnati-area office.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:01 pm

No luck here in the Seattle area. None are aware of a fee-free promo. Issaquah said cash or debit only.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by cbn42
...I can't imagine how you can possibly need 290 miles of towing in a year, but in cases like that, AAA membership is a good investment.
I know OT but figured I'd reply. I wouldn't think so either but FIL broke down exactly 100 miles from home and we covered it for him and we had the turbo manifold blow out on our well maintained "brand used" car, towed 40 miles up to our destination for the day and then dealership offered to cover it if we got it back from 95 miles away. I guess 235 miles all told but still this year has really had a big payoff.

I've been out of town but if I am close to the San Diego office I'll take a look for this deal.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

You can also think of it this way - $50 for AAA membership for a lot of various discounts in addition to the tow, insurance and whatnots but also in terms of MS, if there's no limit on the amount of cards you can get, that $50 should go a long way...
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA EXP
any socal datapoint?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.