Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by tree100
I'm embarrassed by how much time I spent today trying to figure this all out. Curiosity got the best of me though. I hope this helps somebody.
You've managed to accomplish applause and facepalm in the same paragraph. Congratulations on doing your own work, that is commendable. But, if you want you found to continue to work, I suggest you rethink sharing your successful findings.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Does this new change only affect Visa GCs? Are MasterCard GCs affected?
I got a VMC at 3letterstore and went into default credit mode at Kate. All Vanillas ara affected.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by luchex
I got a VMC at 3letterstore and went into default credit mode at Kate. All Vanillas ara affected.
Really? OMG.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:33 am

Is there any solid reason to believe this is coming from the Amex/Walmart side rather than the Incomm side? Knowing how Incomm works, it wouldn't surprise me if they had found a way to reject any transaction labelled "Walmart POS Reload" or whatever it happens to be. Or worse yet, maybe they just reject any pin-based debit transactions of $100 or more - has anyone tried swiping a Vanilla card for a larger debit transaction at some other retailer?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by ftomasze
Really? OMG.
Join the forum just to be an unnecessary jerk?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by mikeyb45
Is there any solid reason to believe this is coming from the Amex/Walmart side rather than the Incomm side? Knowing how Incomm works, it wouldn't surprise me if they had found a way to reject any transaction labelled "Walmart POS Reload" or whatever it happens to be. Or worse yet, maybe they just reject any pin-based debit transactions of $100 or more - has anyone tried swiping a Vanilla card for a larger debit transaction at some other retailer?
Given the software updates for Wal-Mart's POS machines recently, its been obvious for the past few weeks that they were trying to work around allowing these cards.

I've gotten probably $10k in MO from several other retailers using pin-based debit with Vanillas since this whole debacle started.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:45 am

Another data point, as of we need any more evidence to cry over. I just tried OV's that didn't work last night when I tried $5h, $4h, and $1h loads (this was before I knew to try <$1h). This time I tried $90: error code 96, $99: error code 96, $50: error code 94, nothing worked. But I brought with me a vanilla MC (Cvs sells them for $1 more than OVs). No amount of denominations worked for this card either. However, instead of error code 96 or 94, it consistently gave me error code 14. Not sure what that is all about. I searched FT and found a thread that somebody else got the same strange code and thought maybe the pin wasn't set correctly, so I reset the pin, created a new one by purchasing a drink as a debit, and tried all the denominations again. No luck, error code 14 every time.

From there I went and bought all MC Bancorp cards (ouch, double the fees), and returned to WM where I successfully loaded all that I had left. I'm embarrassed by how much time I spent today trying to figure this all out. Curiosity got the best of me though. I hope this helps somebody.

I almost wish they would have timed this with the demise of the VR, just ripped all the band aids off at once.
Appreciate you trying it out for us. I'm only sitting on about 2k of OVs myself; I think I'll wait a bit and see how things settle out for the other bank cards.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
You've managed to accomplish applause and facepalm in the same paragraph. Congratulations on doing your own work, that is commendable. But, if you want you found to continue to work, I suggest you rethink sharing your successful findings.
I couldn't agree with you more. Seeing how fast the greater powers to be killed the "workaround" of <$100 loads my generosity in sharing new information has dwindled. Spending all that time yesterday wasn't completely wasted, I discovered another successful route to MS (not as convenient...although I'm not sure if WM Kate and convenient could ever be used together) which won't be shared here - just in case those powers are reading as well
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:43 am

Don't know if folks saw this linked from the other WM OV thread, but

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...collapsed.aspx

Interesting, it may actually be a bancorp thing than a WM thing. Would explain the CVS collapse too....
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
Interesting, I just saw this too....

http://www.pymnts.com/in-depth/2014/.../#.U6RYFbEuLp0

Originally Posted by angrypenguin

Interesting, it may actually be a bancorp thing than a WM thing. Would explain the CVS collapse too....
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by angrypenguin

But Bancorp still works, it is Vanilla that does not.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
But Bancorp still works, it is Vanilla that does not.
Vanilla=Incomm=Bancorp.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by ntr91
Vanilla=Incomm=Bancorp.
Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Originally Posted by mikeyb45
Is there any solid reason to believe this is coming from the Amex/Walmart side rather than the Incomm side? Knowing how Incomm works, it wouldn't surprise me if they had found a way to reject any transaction labelled "Walmart POS Reload" or whatever it happens to be.
On the card side, they just see a transaction at Walmart, not that you loaded it to a card or bought an MO.

If anything, what Incomm would notice is tons of whole-card-emptying transactions at Walmart. That might give them pause... if they were looking.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by zozeppelin
I couldn't agree with you more. Seeing how fast the greater powers to be killed the "workaround" of <$100 loads my generosity in sharing new information has dwindled. Spending all that time yesterday wasn't completely wasted, I discovered another successful route to MS (not as convenient...although I'm not sure if WM Kate and convenient could ever be used together) which won't be shared here - just in case those powers are reading as well
Honestly the < $100 workaround did not last even 24 hours so not much damage could be done. We all want to play the blame game but if I was head of WM IT in charge of stopping OVs from being loaded, I would be monitoring transactions and looking for any variations of the current limits I have set in the software. Obviously they realized quickly that < $100 was not a low enough limit to deter folks from doing this. Its foolish to think it was somebodys fault for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.