FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1495260-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases.html)

torcen Nov 19, 2014 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 23865323)
Correct. That is the unique one and there is no activation fee so if you see the cashier scan it and some fee came up, you have the option to void it from your transaction.

I specifically bought the 'Paypower Visa TravelMoney Card', not the other two types. It is in blue and white packaging and there is a pull tab on the back. I was charges a purchase fee and did not get points. This was in northern Virginia.

drdobro Nov 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Stop & Shop flyer is out in Conn. for Nov. 21-27.

4X gas points on Aeropostale, Domino's, Regal Cinemas, Fandango, LL Bean, Lowe's, Cracker Barrel, JCPenney, Boscov's and some sort of Google card (can't make it out).

Amex, MC, Visa and Stop & Shop gift cards specifically excluded.

zeppoloveskafka Nov 19, 2014 4:32 pm

My local Giant has been out of 20-500 cards for 3 weeks now. Has that happened to others? It's the only close one that lets me go 5K at a time. I got a paypower and reloadit card. Anything good that reloadit works with? I have a lot of prepaids gathering dust from the VR and moneypak days.

michael160 Nov 19, 2014 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka (Post 23868276)
My local Giant has been out of 20-500 cards for 3 weeks now. Has that happened to others? It's the only close one that lets me go 5K at a time. I got a paypower and reloadit card. Anything good that reloadit works with? I have a lot of prepaids gathering dust from the VR and moneypak days.

I have two stores near me that have been out for quite some time while others continue to replenish. I was told at one of the empty stores that they decided not to carry them anymore - might be a store-specific decision

hokiegl Nov 19, 2014 7:12 pm

Travel still giving points

I went to 2 different Giants and they are still fee free and giving points. Only the Travel that expires on 06/19 gives the points. All others do not (inc the regular that expires on 06/19). I bought all that they had, which was only about a dozen total. Most Giants in VA/MD do not carry these or have gone to cash only. But its worth checking your local Giant/Stop Shop out.

alexlar2007 Nov 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by hokiegl (Post 23868967)
I went to 2 different Giants and they are still fee free and giving points. Only the Travel that expires on 06/19 gives the points. All others do not (inc the regular that expires on 06/19). I bought all that they had, which was only about a dozen total. Most Giants in VA/MD do not carry these or have gone to cash only. But its worth checking your local Giant/Stop Shop out.

How can it be liquidated? Will Bluebird or Serve work?

thebat Nov 20, 2014 12:37 pm

this week

The flyer for this week looks the same as last weeks as far as gift cards go. That is OK with me but I'd be happier seeing Visa and MC back. Maybe for Xmas?

cfisher6 Nov 21, 2014 8:01 am

I haven't been able to find any of the Travel cards at a few Martins (Giant owned brand) near me. I'm thinking of making a trip to one in the next town -- has anyone spotted these in a Martins yet?

yoyo Nov 21, 2014 9:03 am

Travel card 4X gas points still working as of this morning.

TPP Nov 21, 2014 11:23 am

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 23876712)
Travel card 4X gas points still working as of this morning.

What's the best way to unload this card? Are there any fees with this?

tarcapone Nov 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by TPP (Post 23877445)
What's the best way to unload this card? Are there any fees with this?

These are the PayPower reloadable Visas. They normally cost $3.95 but are ringing up with no fee and are giving 4x gas points (related to the current 4x gas points on store gift cards). They have a monthly fee of $5.95 which is charged 5-7 days after your purchase. If you spend the $500 prior to the fee, then there is no fee. In my experience, they can be used anywhere normal Visa GC’s can be used (WM money orders, Bluebird, Evolve, etc.). Once I was told I couldn’t use a gift card to buy a money order, so I turned it over where it says in the fine print “this is not a credit card or gift card” and the cashier said, Oh, OK.

TTT103 Nov 24, 2014 5:17 am

Originally Posted by tarcapone (Post 23887475)
These are the PayPower reloadable Visas. They normally cost $3.95 but are ringing up with no fee and are giving 4x gas points (related to the current 4x gas points on store gift cards). They have a monthly fee of $5.95 which is charged 5-7 days after your purchase. If you spend the $500 prior to the fee, then there is no fee. In my experience, they can be used anywhere normal Visa GC’s can be used (WM money orders, Bluebird, Evolve, etc.). Once I was told I couldn’t use a gift card to buy a money order, so I turned it over where it says in the fine print “this is not a credit card or gift card” and the cashier said, Oh, OK.

I stopped at a Giant in the Pocono's yesterday and picked one up. The $3.95 fee was charged and I did not receive any points. Oh, well...

moefl Nov 24, 2014 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by tarcapone (Post 23858057)
I purchased a PayPower Visa Travel Money Card (blue and white packaging). For some reason these cards rang up with no activation fee and received 4x gas points. In the same transaction I purchased PayPower Visa Prepaid cards (orange and white packaging) and these had a fee and did not receive gas points.

These are both in newer packaging (or different from what I am used to ) that had a pull tab in the back similar to a OneVanilla. I'm on LI, NY.

Are any of these cards sold in Stop and Shop? Have the given points with zero activation fee?

fletchbo Nov 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by tarcapone (Post 23887475)

Seems like a neat card to get access to. I could not find these at any Giants in Chester or Montgomery County, Pa.

Simon Malls $2.95 fee/$500 denom Visa GC still rocks!

Majuki Nov 25, 2014 12:33 am

Originally Posted by fletchbo (Post 23892940)
Seems like a neat card to get access to. I could not find these at any Giants in Chester or Montgomery County, Pa.

Like the ReloadIts, Giant didn't seem to restock after people bought them up. If you're out for a drive outside of the metro area, you can still run across a store that has them in stock.