FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1495260-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases.html)

heyeaglefn Feb 26, 2015 6:05 am

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Don't see any reason they'd bring it back.

iahphx Feb 26, 2015 7:09 am

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn (Post 24418034)
Don't see any reason they'd bring it back.

This was a classic case of a promotion being abused in a manner that the promoters didn't envision. Once folks here started talking about their gas resale business, it was inevitable that the gas deal would end. A common occurrence with MS.

rdny7955 Feb 26, 2015 7:48 am

I agree, but I wasn't aware that people were actually re-selling the gas in any noticeable volume. I think if they did that is really abusing a deal past the point of reasonability. first, I don't even think it is legal to re-sell gas, it's also very inconvenient and potentially dangerous. I would personally feel very uneasy selling people I know gas (it looks and is weird), and I wouldn't want to be selling strangers gasoline from my house. Basically theses deals balance profit with effort, and whoever is re-selling gas from this deal is not accurately valuing their time and efforts. It is also fairly obvious that if anything is going to kill this deal it would be the widespread awareness that this ridiculous activity is going on.

heyeaglefn Feb 26, 2015 7:59 am

Not sure people were reselling gas as much as saying, pay me X dollars and I will fill you up and meeting them at the gas station.

Tuppins Feb 26, 2015 8:07 am

It's also possible that recent gas prices affected whether or not they ran this promo.

heyeaglefn Feb 26, 2015 8:08 am

Why, they are paying out the same amount no matter what the gas prices are?

Tuppins Feb 26, 2015 8:13 am

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn (Post 24418639)
Why, they are paying out the same amount no matter what the gas prices are?

I don't pretend to know the rationale behind their decision making...
Just putting it out there - gas prices really dipped in the recent months, that may have affected their decision making; 0.10 off a gallon seems like more to a consumer when gas prices are higher.

mh1361 Feb 27, 2015 8:23 am

Originally Posted by rdny7955 (Post 24418527)
I agree, but I wasn't aware that people were actually re-selling the gas in any noticeable volume. I think if they did that is really abusing a deal past the point of reasonability. first, I don't even think it is legal to re-sell gas, it's also very inconvenient and potentially dangerous. I would personally feel very uneasy selling people I know gas (it looks and is weird), and I wouldn't want to be selling strangers gasoline from my house. Basically theses deals balance profit with effort, and whoever is re-selling gas from this deal is not accurately valuing their time and efforts. It is also fairly obvious that if anything is going to kill this deal it would be the widespread awareness that this ridiculous activity is going on.

Coworker 1: "Hey coworker #2, I have too many gas points that I won't be able to use. How about you pay me $10/$15/$20 and use my giant card to fill up on your lunch break?"
Coworker 2: "Sure, sounds good. Thanks."

Haven't done it myself but doesn't sound inconvenient, dangerous, weird, or a poor value of time.

rdny7955 Feb 27, 2015 8:47 am

That's obviously not the type of transaction I was talking about, that's also not the kinds of transfer that would bring attention to this deal. I was talking about people filling up 5 gallon containers and selling the gas like a commodity out of their house. The former is fairly inconspicuous, the latter is rediculous.

mittenfingerz Feb 27, 2015 10:12 am

Just got 5k in Bass Pro GC, and the receipt showed 15,000 gas points.

I don't know what y'all are complaining about.

slicktraveler Mar 9, 2015 7:54 am

Anyone heard if this gas rewards promotion is coming back anytime soon?

heyeaglefn Mar 9, 2015 8:06 am

I don't think so.

Tuppins Mar 9, 2015 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz (Post 24425258)
Just got 5k in Bass Pro GC, and the receipt showed 15,000 gas points.

I don't know what y'all are complaining about.

Are you loading those to your Serve card at Kate?

ntr91 Mar 9, 2015 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins (Post 24479752)
Are you loading those to your Serve card at Kate?

No, Kate won't work. Once you buy the cards, go to the CS desk at the Giant and ask for MOs. PIN is 6666

Tuppins Mar 9, 2015 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by ntr91 (Post 24480442)
No, Kate won't work. Once you buy the cards, go to the CS desk at the Giant and ask for MOs. PIN is 6666

Ohhh. Right. I forgot gift cards don't work at Kate *wink*