FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1495260-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases.html)

brownie20 Mar 31, 2015 7:30 am

Originally Posted by njdealguy (Post 24593647)
Has anyone been having issues with number of points deducted at every gas fillup using points? I've noticed that it seems that the last two times I went to Shell, my S&S balance reduced by 4400 points rather than 2200. Has anyone been having double the points deducted?

I'm thinking otherwise that it could be a case of someone else stealing some of it!

i had that happen before and in nj too (i assume you're from nj based on your handle? :) ) - i had 2200 x 2 points deducted after getting gas once. try calling the 800 number and asking them to look at the activity on your account. they can credit your account missing points if there is suspicious activity on the account (in my case the station had deducted the 2nd set of points 40 minutes after the original deduction). good luck :)

njdealguy Mar 31, 2015 10:20 am

Originally Posted by brownie20 (Post 24594027)
i had that happen before and in nj too (i assume you're from nj based on your handle? :) ) - i had 2200 x 2 points deducted after getting gas once. try calling the 800 number and asking them to look at the activity on your account. they can credit your account missing points if there is suspicious activity on the account (in my case the station had deducted the 2nd set of points 40 minutes after the original deduction). good luck :)

Just tried calling the 800 number and was told that they cant see any proof that I didnt in fact pump gas twice on each of the occasions, and that I would have to call Shell to investigate. Also am concerned that calling too much for this can bring about attention that can cause me to lose my remaining points also.

brownie20 Mar 31, 2015 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by njdealguy (Post 24594956)
Just tried calling the 800 number and was told that they cant see any proof that I didnt in fact pump gas twice on each of the occasions, and that I would have to call Shell to investigate. Also am concerned that calling too much for this can bring about attention that can cause me to lose my remaining points also.

oy i'm sorry! I had one not so friendly rep at the 800 number before but otherwise other reps had been happy to credit missing points (my card was re registered to a joe schmoe in another state once and points used :( ). they definitely do notate accounts but i might try one more time to get the points back (unless you have like a gazillion points in your account).

Fly1Away1 Mar 31, 2015 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by njdealguy (Post 24593647)
Has anyone been having issues with number of points deducted at every gas fillup using points? I've noticed that it seems that the last two times I went to Shell, my S&S balance reduced by 4400 points rather than 2200. Has anyone been having double the points deducted?

I'm thinking otherwise that it could be a case of someone else stealing some of it!

It happened to me too. Gas attendant came out while I was pumping and asked to see my S&S card because he had to check something. I gave it to him (I know stupid me:mad:) and he swiped it again for whatever reason. I did't know about it until I came home and checked my account online and noticed I was double charged. I called S&S customer service and they credited me my points after looking at the account.

From now on I'm treating my S&S card like it's gift card. The S&S card is not going to be handed over no matter what. I also only try to go to the stop & shop stations where I can scan my own card.

Just keep calling S&S customer service until you get a CSR that will help you. My plan b was to file a police report if S&S was not going to help me out in the matter, luckily the CSR was very nice on my 1st call. 2,200 points is worth up to $77 if maxed out so it's not something I would let go.

ttlmmky Apr 1, 2015 10:01 am

As a test I got 2 Reloadits at Giant in MD, one for $500 and one for $490. It looks like an override was required - customer service lady definitely put the key in. But I know for a fact that a $505.95 VGC purchase does not require this. I guess the threshold is somewhere in the middle?

mh1361 Apr 1, 2015 10:17 am

Originally Posted by ttlmmky (Post 24600396)
As a test I got 2 Reloadits at Giant in MD, one for $500 and one for $490. It looks like an override was required - customer service lady definitely put the key in. But I know for a fact that a $505.95 VGC purchase does not require this. I guess the threshold is somewhere in the middle?

The threshold for an override, at least for Giant of Carlisle, is gift card value over $500. The fees don't count. So if you buy a $500 gift card and a $1 gift card, that will need an override.

tuphat Apr 1, 2015 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by mrmandel (Post 24561882)
Any guesstimates on the dangerzone? Sitting on 9k at the moment.

I have had 28k+ before, no adverse action.

ILGfly Apr 1, 2015 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 24602903)
I have had 28k+ before, no adverse action.

Last spring/summer when they were running these promotions all the time I had over 60000 at one point. I couldn't use anywhere near all of those, even when sharing my account number with my family to use, but I was buying the VGC anyway so I had them scan my card for the hell of it.

xp0 Apr 1, 2015 8:17 pm

-edit- err, wow, yeah that's a lot of points.

nkp46 Apr 14, 2015 8:39 pm

at end of March I had about 10,000 gas rewards points, and added gas at a local shell and then went out for vocation. Yesterday I came back and want to add gas at a shell, and found out there is 0 points.
Logged in and check points, and it shows 0 points too.

so could it be the card's problem, or the person who helped add gas at shell station stole my rewards card info? In our state, you cannot add gas by yourself and someone working at the gas station will add gas for you, and they take your rewards card and credit card and then hand back to you after use.

I was very disappointment yesterday because I planned to add at least twice and share the rest with my colleague, now totally changed.

MaineFlyer16 Apr 14, 2015 10:09 pm

Just an FYI, Staples is 5x starting Friday.

Scotttheking Apr 14, 2015 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by nkp46 (Post 24666691)
at end of March I had about 10,000 gas rewards points, and added gas at a local shell and then went out for vocation. Yesterday I came back and want to add gas at a shell, and found out there is 0 points.
Logged in and check points, and it shows 0 points too.

so could it be the card's problem, or the person who helped add gas at shell station stole my rewards card info? In our state, you cannot add gas by yourself and someone working at the gas station will add gas for you, and they take your rewards card and credit card and then hand back to you after use.

I was very disappointment yesterday because I planned to add at least twice and share the rest with my colleague, now totally changed.

Did your points expire? They expire 30 days after earning.

ILGfly Apr 14, 2015 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Scotttheking (Post 24667202)
Did your points expire? They expire 30 days after earning.

I'm going to assume he meant he earned them the end of March. This promo ran 3/20-3/26 so they would have another week or so before they expire.

This is also not the first post I've seen from posters obviously from NJ, where you can't pump your own gas by law, that discovered their points were stolen by gas station attendants.

mandj Apr 15, 2015 2:37 am

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16 (Post 24667015)
Just an FYI, Staples is 5x starting Friday.

Is buying VGCs w/ Staples GC allowed at Staples?

jiffyjiff Apr 15, 2015 5:15 am

Originally Posted by mandj (Post 24667637)
Is buying VGCs w/ Staples GC allowed at Staples?

No