FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1495260-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases.html)

brownie20 Aug 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

thought i would start this thread since there are ones for krogers and safeway in this forum and i love stocking up on gift cards during stop & shop's 2x gas reward promos!! mods please move this post as appropriate! :)

basically stop & shop offers double points for their gas reward points on gift cards only when advertised in their circular - gift card purchases earn zero points otherwise. some gift cards are always excluded including stop & shop, telecom, and reloadable cards. points can be redeemed for up to $2.20 off a gallon (2200 points) at participating shell gas stations. maximum 35 gallons / fuel up. points expire 30 days after they're earned.

the ad reads:
"Be ready to go back to school! Earn 2x gas points on participating gift card purchases with your stop & shop card. Excludes stop & shop gift cards. Excludes telecom and reloadable cards. Purchase must be made in one transaction with your stop & shop card. See store for more details. Offer valid 8/16-8/29/13. Subject to availability. See gift cards for details."

more details about the gas rewards program here:
http://www.stopandshop.com/savings/shell_program.htm

hopefully some of you in the CT/MA/NJ/NY/RI area are able to rack up some gas points ;)

zceuxbhjutf Aug 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Here's the ad for subsidiary Giant...
http://giantfood.shoplocal.com/giant...4&pagenumber=7

kcblakely Aug 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Wait. You mean Giant gives gas points for gift card purchases?:eek:

I experimented with this a few months ago with an Amazon card and got no points. Aaah!

Safeway has 4x going now, so that's a little easier, but they max out the bennie at $1 per gallon, max 25 gallons. Giant's program is better....

brownie20 Aug 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf (Post 21295586)
Here's the ad for subsidiary Giant...
http://giantfood.shoplocal.com/giant...4&pagenumber=7

the giant ad looks exactly like the stop & shop ad!! when did giant change their big blue G symbol to the stop & shop symbol!?! :)

Originally Posted by kcblakely (Post 21295687)
Wait. You mean Giant gives gas points for gift card purchases?:eek:

I experimented with this a few months ago with an Amazon card and got no points. Aaah!

Safeway has 4x going now, so that's a little easier, but they max out the bennie at $1 per gallon, max 25 gallons. Giant's program is better....

if giant runs their promos like stop & shop you only get points when they advertise the 2x points in their circulars (otherwise no points!). i've never had a problem getting points with visa/shell gift cards whenever it's advertised - but i always make sure the g/c's i buy aren't excluded in the fine print! :)

JohnnyGraz Aug 18, 2013 11:33 pm

Since you posted this, I might as well just go out and say it.

Stop & Shop allows you to buy variable load debit visa's with a credit card. :D

augustus21 Aug 19, 2013 5:18 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz (Post 21296305)

News to me. Thank you, kind sir. :D

MaineFlyer16 Aug 19, 2013 7:03 am

According to SD forum, you only earn 1x on GC purchases in NJ. Be aware that if you buy over $2000 in GC in a day, they will want to record all of your personal information in a log book at the service desk. I am not sure where that info goes, so I have been buying only $1500 per trip.

freeflyin Aug 19, 2013 7:56 am

Originally Posted by brownie20 (Post 21296182)
the giant ad looks exactly like the stop & shop ad!! when did giant change their big blue G symbol to the stop & shop symbol!?! :)

Stop and Shop = Giant, depending on your location.

You will often see items labelled with the other brand in the stores,depending on warehouse shipments and availability.

rismoney Aug 19, 2013 10:15 am

gas

is their gas only shell?

JohnnyGraz Aug 19, 2013 11:05 am

Originally Posted by augustus21 (Post 21297080)
News to me. Thank you, kind sir. :D

You're very welcome! Happy MSing!

WhateverDude Aug 19, 2013 11:12 am

Also, my fellow northeasterners, Price Chopper also currently has 4X fuel points on GC purchases. In my area they only carry up to $100 Visa GCs, but they carry $500 Lowes and Home Depot GCs (among many others). Could be handy if you have some home improvements coming up.

Not worth a seperate thread...but it's something.

levelnine Aug 19, 2013 1:34 pm

What fees are charged? They don't seem to be advertised in store.

gloreglabert Aug 19, 2013 1:40 pm

People, this is not difficult. S&S sells variable load visas for the same $5.95 fee, on the same gift card rack, in the exact same way as Kroger, Safeway, and pretty much every other store that sells GCs. I'm guessing most of you go into a grocery once in awhile, and have probably walked by the huge gift card rack a thousand times. I don't get why people seem unable to spend 5 seconds during day-to-day activities doing the most trivial reconnaissance...

WhateverDude Aug 19, 2013 1:42 pm

What's the card look like? Circles and arrows preferred.
kthanks!

ncSam Aug 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude (Post 21299713)
What's the card look like? Circles and arrows preferred.
kthanks!

Or a picture of your wife holding one in front of the store

travellingdoc1121 Aug 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Data point:
A couple of days ago before the promotion, I did not get ANY fuel point when I got $1500 variable visa card at S&S at Cross County Mall. I also stopped by Eastchester and Bronx, and neither had variable gift cards. Anyone else share?

greendx Aug 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Maybe where you live. Mine no longer lets me buy any GCs of any value via CC.

brownie20 Aug 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16 (Post 21297432)
According to SD forum, you only earn 1x on GC purchases in NJ. Be aware that if you buy over $2000 in GC in a day, they will want to record all of your personal information in a log book at the service desk. I am not sure where that info goes, so I have been buying only $1500 per trip.

i didnt know about the $2000 g/c rule - that must be why they didn't want to sell me more than $2000 worth of goods at a time! i thought it was odd because i had bought $2500 previously without any problems!

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 21297654)
Stop and Shop = Giant, depending on your location.

You will often see items labelled with the other brand in the stores,depending on warehouse shipments and availability.

i just thought it was cute because i remember giant from my baltimore days - i even have one of my old reward cards from there somewhere...

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121 (Post 21301081)
Data point:
A couple of days ago before the promotion, I did not get ANY fuel point when I got $1500 variable visa card at S&S at Cross County Mall. I also stopped by Eastchester and Bronx, and neither had variable gift cards. Anyone else share?

yup no points if no promo running. i bought gift cards to meet minimum spends when there were no promotions and also got zero points. and i've also noticed some stores run low on variable load g/c's near the end of the promotional period :(

augustus21 Aug 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 21301082)

It varies by store. The S&S down the street does not carry variable GCs, but I'm still on the hunt. If I find any gold, free (well, highly discounted) gas for all :D

WhateverDude Aug 20, 2013 5:48 am

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121 (Post 21301081)
Data point:

+1. I've got a bonus category card so I pick some up now and then even when there is no promo. Zero points during non-promo times. Feast or famine.

thebat Aug 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 21301082)

It's pretty much no good in Southern CT. I was doing OK with it till about three weeks ago. I'm talking about Visa GC with the picture of a present on it.
No one will say why policy changed.

travellingdoc1121 Aug 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude (Post 21303360)
+1. I've got a bonus category card so I pick some up now and then even when there is no promo. Zero points during non-promo times. Feast or famine.

So you did get points for buying variable gift cards? T&C states no reloadable but I guess visa variables are ok?

JohnnyGraz Aug 21, 2013 5:45 am

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121 (Post 21307758)
So you did get points for buying variable gift cards? T&C states no reloadable but I guess visa variables are ok?

A reloadable prepaid CC is different then a variable load.

WhateverDude Aug 21, 2013 6:40 am

Originally Posted by thebat (Post 21306792)
It's pretty much no good in Southern CT. I was doing OK with it till about three weeks ago. I'm talking about Visa GC with the picture of a present on it.
No one will say why policy changed.

Central CT is a free for all. Of the 5(ish) S&S in my area, all allow purchase of those same cards you mention with CC. Make a run. Central CT is nice.

JohnnyGraz Aug 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Just bought $1000 from the S&S next to my work. Checked my S&S account online and...YEP! 2,000 points :)

zenride Aug 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz (Post 21312076)
Checked my S&S account online and...YEP! 2,000 points :)

Points should be shown on the receipt at time of purchase.

JohnnyGraz Aug 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by zenride (Post 21312426)
Points should be shown on the receipt at time of purchase.

Yes they are BUT...In this case it showed my aggregate as being the same amount as when I finished the first of the two transactions PLUS only 2 points (the candy bar I added). At first it made me wonder whether it was capped at 1,000 points a day under the promotion. A quick check online proved otherwise.

brownie20 Aug 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz (Post 21313373)
Yes they are BUT...In this case it showed my aggregate as being the same amount as when I finished the first of the two transactions PLUS only 2 points (the candy bar I added). At first it made me wonder whether it was capped at 1,000 points a day under the promotion. A quick check online proved otherwise.

i've sometimes noticed that if i have 2 transactions pretty close in time to one another the points aren't updated correctly at the bottom of the receipt. and like you i've been reassured with the correct balance after checking online :)

UserMark Aug 22, 2013 11:41 am

I can confirm that a $500 variable Visa (with the 5.95 fee) does indeed produce 1000 points.

JohnnyGraz Aug 22, 2013 1:44 pm

How often does S&S hold these promotions?

Outbreak187 Aug 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Did anyone else try this in NJ? Can anyone confirm only 1 point per dollar? and Which cards work? Visa variable?

Thanks

WhateverDude Aug 22, 2013 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz (Post 21318559)
How often does S&S hold these promotions?

The last I recall was about a month ago. The woman at Price Chopper told me they hold theirs around fathers day, back to school time, and christmas each year. I bet it's similar.

WhateverDude Aug 27, 2013 8:04 am

So i went around on the 24th to buy the last of my cards at S&S. I forgot to present my S&S card at one store, and the bagger person was some sort of asst. manager so she said "just step over to this register and I'll add them."

I had to show her the flyer. She tried doing 1K at once, and i said "It won't let you do more than 500 at a time, so you have to do it twice." She was like "oh...you know a lot about this!". So we finish, and she says "okay...you now have 7,XXX fuel points." As I'm walking away, i hear the lady at the next reigster say "How many fuel points did you say he had?" I just kept walking without looking back. I guess it does draw some attention.

Another story: i was at the S&S gas station filling up for $1.53/gallon. A guy next to me had an SUV, with numerous 5-gallon gas cans in the back and filled them all up, right up to the 35-gallon limit. I was curious how much he paid, so when he pulled away i checked out the pump. He had saved something like 30-cents/gallon, and was obviously happy with that discount. I kinda felt bad for him, knowing how easy it is to get more savings.

hmmurdock Aug 27, 2013 8:28 am

Originally Posted by WhateverDude (Post 21343479)
So we finish, and she says "okay...you now have 7,XXX fuel points." As I'm walking away, i hear the lady at the next reigster say "How many fuel points did you say he had?" I just kept walking without looking back. I guess it does draw some attention.

+1 - Cashiers are definitely not used to seeing fuel points in the thousands.

kcblakely Aug 27, 2013 8:37 am

Originally Posted by WhateverDude (Post 21343479)
....So we finish, and she says "okay...you now have 7,XXX fuel points."

Curious: Why would you amass that many points? They're only good for 30 days, right? 7K points at max discount is 105 gallons. Can you really use that much gas in a month?

Feel free to answer in IM if you like. TIA!

cliff1371 Aug 27, 2013 8:44 am

when your filling up 3 cars a week, its easy to use them...i usually amass 25k -30k gas points entry time they run this promotion which is about 5 times a year

QUOTE=kcblakely;21343649]Curious: Why would you amass that many points? They're only good for 30 days, right? 7K points at max discount is 105 gallons. Can you really use that much gas in a month?

Feel free to answer in IM if you like. TIA![/QUOTE]

WhateverDude Aug 27, 2013 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by kcblakely (Post 21343649)
Curious: Why would you amass that many points? They're only good for 30 days, right? 7K points at max discount is 105 gallons. Can you really use that much gas in a month?

Feel free to answer in IM if you like. TIA!

I have several weekend trips in the coming month, but 27-ish gallons per week is nothing to many folks.

brownie20 Aug 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by cliff1371 (Post 21343686)
when your filling up 3 cars a week, its easy to use them...i usually amass 25k -30k gas points entry time they run this promotion which is about 5 times a year

25-30K points that's impressive! :) just a heads up to all you fellow gas points collectors out there - make sure to keep a running tally of your points and double check that everything adds up. i logged into my account the other day and was surprised to see 2XX points rather than my expected 24XX points. apparently 40 minutes after an attendant had used 2200 points fueling up my car (in NJ where attendants pump the gas) an additional 2200 points was redeemed at the same station for like a 6 gallon fill. only 2 of us have the s&s card and we were eating dinner when the 2nd transaction occurrred. i called s&s immediately after noticing the discrepancy and the csr very reluctantly returned the points and kept implying that most likely another family member had used the points w/o my knowledge. when i asked to have the card replaced she then changed her tune and said it was likely a gas station mistake. regardless i wanted a new card number so she told me to pick up a new card at the store and then have the accounts combined. it really might have been a fluke b/c the remaining points on the old account are still there (i havent had time to call back before 4 pm EST to have the accounts combined ) but it's something to keep in mind :p

WhateverDude Aug 28, 2013 5:50 am

OOps...deleted.

dogbyte Aug 28, 2013 8:06 am

It sucks that the points expire after 30 days because I don't drive that much and can't save the points longer for future use. Someone posted that these promotions are run 5 times a year. Anybody have an info on when to expect them?