FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1495260-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases.html)

heyeaglefn Nov 17, 2014 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by TPP (Post 23856004)
How are Amazon cards used for MS?

Not sure anyone said they were.

hokiegl Nov 17, 2014 6:16 pm

got gas points on a "certain" visa card

Giant in VA. I am not going to go into details. But I bought 7 cards and 3 of them triggered gas points. Got 6K. I am not sure what made them different from the rest. But somehow certain cards are being treated differently. Please do not PM me. I am busy and will not respond. I will try more different combination tomorrow. If I figure out exactly which card is working, I will post.

iahphx Nov 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by hokiegl (Post 23857242)
Giant in VA. I am not going to go into details. But I bought 7 cards and 3 of them triggered gas points. Got 6K. I am not sure what made them different from the rest. But somehow certain cards are being treated differently. Please do not PM me. I am busy and will not respond. I will try more different combination tomorrow. If I figure out exactly which card is working, I will post.

Perhaps you should have just posted tomorrow? :)

And if anyone else feels motivated to "experiment" (like you're buying cards anyway), we're all ears!

tarcapone Nov 17, 2014 9:47 pm

I purchased a PayPower Visa Travel Money Card (blue and white packaging). For some reason these cards rang up with no activation fee and received 4x gas points. In the same transaction I purchased PayPower Visa Prepaid cards (orange and white packaging) and these had a fee and did not receive gas points.

These are both in newer packaging (or different from what I am used to ) that had a pull tab in the back similar to a OneVanilla. I'm on LI, NY.

jonnydoe1234 Nov 18, 2014 2:59 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 23853967)
Interesting -- especially if you were about to spend the money at that merchant anyway. Which coupon site has the discussion?

Slickdeals, Stop & Shop thread in drugstore forum. Just keep in mind that it is a couponing discussion, so discussing MS there will not be understood. But it is useful to monitor for data points.

Originally Posted by ctbarron (Post 23854792)
Giant PA or Giant MD (Landover)?

The thread on slickdeals was for Stop & Shop/Giant MD.

iahphx Nov 18, 2014 6:48 am

Originally Posted by tarcapone (Post 23858057)
I purchased a PayPower Visa Travel Money Card (blue and white packaging). For some reason these cards rang up with no activation fee and received 4x gas points. In the same transaction I purchased PayPower Visa Prepaid cards (orange and white packaging) and these had a fee and did not receive gas points.

These are both in newer packaging (or different from what I am used to ) that had a pull tab in the back similar to a OneVanilla. I'm on LI, NY.

If one finds a "PayPower Visa Travel Money Card," how does one get rid of it? Does it have a pin that can be loaded onto Bluebird, or is it more "complicated"?

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234 (Post 23858788)
Slickdeals, Stop & Shop thread in drugstore forum. Just keep in mind that it is a couponing discussion, so discussing MS there will not be understood. But it is useful to monitor for data points.

The thread on slickdeals was for Stop & Shop/Giant MD.

When I saw hokiegl's cryptic post, I immediately went there to see if they were discussing it. I see no discussion. Can you elaborate? Thanks.

cfisher6 Nov 18, 2014 6:53 am

I purchased several different Gift-packaging MCs from a Martins in eastern WV yesterday, and none received points. So if you're experimenting, unlikely that these will be the ticket for you.

hokiegl Nov 18, 2014 11:51 am

Paypower Travel Visa giving points

I bought some more GC one at a time. It was the Travel Visa cards. They give gas points. I am sure Giant will fix this asap.

torcen Nov 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Paypower Travel Visa is dead. I tried at a local Giants. First some manager stopped me and told me that specific card was cash only (so they were probably aware). I slipped around to another cashier and bought it anyway, but it earned no points.

haipham2014 Nov 19, 2014 7:21 am

Originally Posted by torcen (Post 23862849)
Paypower Travel Visa is dead. I tried at a local Giants. First some manager stopped me and told me that specific card was cash only (so they were probably aware). I slipped around to another cashier and bought it anyway, but it earned no points.

The problem is someone may buy a lot of them and the cashier saw a big reward points or some Giant's employees may read the post. At the Mall which I bought Simon Visa GC, they know what we are doing but they don't care. However, they told me someone went in I bought $9000 GC at once !!!

yoyo Nov 19, 2014 7:40 am

Originally Posted by torcen (Post 23862849)

You were probably buying the wrong PP Travel Visa. Do you know there are 3 different types of Paypower Travel Visa?

mh1361 Nov 19, 2014 7:53 am

Originally Posted by haipham2014 (Post 23865005)
The problem is someone may buy a lot of them and the cashier saw a big reward points or some Giant's employees may read the post. At the Mall which I bought Simon Visa GC, they know what we are doing but they don't care. However, they told me someone went in I bought $9000 GC at once !!!

Congratulations. Why are you posting in this thread?

iahphx Nov 19, 2014 8:02 am

Originally Posted by yoyo (Post 23865121)
You were probably buying the wrong PP Travel Visa. Do you know there are 3 different types of Paypower Travel Visa?

So if we want to buy the right one, which is it? Someone mentioned "blue and white packaging" above. Thanks.

yoyo Nov 19, 2014 8:12 am

Originally Posted by iahphx (Post 23865260)
So if we want to buy the right one, which is it? Someone mentioned "blue and white packaging" above. Thanks.

Correct. That is the unique one and there is no activation fee so if you see the cashier scan it and some fee came up, you have the option to void it from your transaction.

haipham2014 Nov 19, 2014 11:05 am

Originally Posted by mh1361 (Post 23865211)
Congratulations. Why are you posting in this thread?

Sorry for the typos, I mean someone came in and bought $9K worth of GC not me:(