Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keeping track of manufactured spend

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I've also noticed that even if your statement balance is 0, the bank will still report the amount of payment. Now if issuers start using that data they could figure out that you are spending huge amounts with other banks.. if their analytics departments is any good, I'm sure they have a way of figuring out what you are upto. They probably don't care if as you have paid it off.
Not all banks report 'spending'. AMEX, Citi & Discover don't report how much you paid in a month. Only the balance (if there is any). CapOne reports only the last amount paid on top of the balance (if there is any). Chase, Barclay & FIA report everything. And, I believe it shows up on a HP. Not on a SP.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Watch the crazy credit line utilization spin ups, especially on the AMEX's. BTDT with double that volume daily.

In your spreadsheets track % credit line utilization by card account, institution and all credit lines. Try to keep it under 50% in all 3 categories.
Between Vons, OM, Chase gcs I can't see myself not charging up to 60 to 80% of my credit line in a month.

Will I be able to avoid the credit score hit that comes with a high credit line utilization in any of these scenarios: 1.) as long as I pay off my card in full every month and 2) I pay off majority of the charges before the statement closes
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by cuebert
That's my method. In and out on the same date or as close as possible. I load whatever the daily maximum is.

I have a list of accounts written and when the cards are bought and loaded I write the date next to each account. When the number of dates equals the monthly maximum I pause activity on that account until the next cycle.
I try to do the same, but it is difficult when you purchase couple thousand dollars worth of gcs in a day during a deal.

I would love if someone here has a better way of tracking the spend.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Watch the crazy credit line utilization spin ups, especially on the AMEX's. BTDT with double that volume daily.

In your spreadsheets track % credit line utilization by card account, institution and all credit lines. Try to keep it under 50% in all 3 categories.
BTDT? Care to write out the old fashioned way? Better To Do That?

When you mean keep under 50%, do you mean cumulative or instantaneously? I pay down my balances on a weekly or biweekly basis. But I can easily get to 100% or more of my CL on a cumulative basis per month. Yet on instantaneous basis, my CL is rarely above 20% across institution and usually less than 5% of total credit (majority of my cards are not actively churned - just the good bonus category cards get usage)
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by T3pleShot
awesome timing on this thread.

I was really fed up with how I was organizing my time for manufactured spend. What you don't realize is - a loop actually takes 3 hops (most of the time):....

So, now I have a plan for the whole month, take a print out and just strike out the acivities that are done. Also, saturday/sunday morning, I know exactly what I need to do, which cards I need to take, which stores I need to hit so that I can calcuate shortest route and so on..
I just came up with this yesterday. I will know how it goes next month.
That's a thing of beauty.....

I was just thinking about this today, because a lot of my manu spend is mixed in with my normal spend, and the manu spend payoffs to the CC tend to fulfill the CC monthly payoffs. The effect is that the normal spend never gets paid off, but just rolls into the next month.

I paused all manu spend activity for two months recently so I could buy a house, and after all the manu spend smoke cleared, I realized that I owed various CC's a little over $8K; all from normal spend for the previous three months. Kinda shocking, and for a while I was convinced that I had lost a few reload cards....
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by vagrants
Not all banks report 'spending'. AMEX, Citi & Discover don't report how much you paid in a month. Only the balance (if there is any). CapOne reports only the last amount paid on top of the balance (if there is any). Chase, Barclay & FIA report everything. And, I believe it shows up on a HP. Not on a SP.
I thought all banks just report what your closing balance was - which was the rationale behind paying a card just before the closing date. I have been doing most of my manufactured spend on Chase cards, so if an issuer sees that I'm spending as much as I am it might not be good for future apps . . .
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by kcblakely

I was just thinking about this today, because a lot of my manu spend is mixed in with my normal spend, and the manu spend payoffs to the CC tend to fulfill the CC monthly payoffs. The effect is that the normal spend never gets paid off, but just rolls into the next month.

I paused all manu spend activity for two months recently so I could buy a house, and after all the manu spend smoke cleared, I realized that I owed various CC's a little over $8K; all from normal spend for the previous three months. Kinda shocking, and for a while I was convinced that I had lost a few reload cards....
yeah that happened to me as well last year. Now I make sure that I look at my statement mid cycle and just before closing and separate out my manu spend and my normal spend. Helps me a lot.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by kcblakely

Are you paying interest on the cards? If so, you're paying a lot more for the points gained from manu spend than you should be.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I'm keeping a track of activity across all issuers and don't wanna hit more than 50% of my annual income with any issuer.
Any contrarian views on this? I'm beyond 50% already this year with Chase.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by arsenalman
I work in the finance field...
You and me both. Buy-sider?

I always have a couple of manufactured spending programs going on at the same time and they are all part of the same spreadsheet. I have different worksheets for each of them, with the most complicated of the programs taking up four worksheet pages. One of those worksheets has fourteen columns.

Is it time consuming? It can be, although ten minutes per day is usually enough to update everything. But it makes back-checking so much easier, since I can just match up dates and amounts. It also minimizes the mistakes that I make. Nothing bothers me more than making a simple arithmetic error that costs me money in fees.

Mike
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Slickw
Any contrarian views on this? I'm beyond 50% already this year with Chase.
Yea, I'm close to 100% but going to cut back substantially with them in the next month or two once I get enough points for my next redemption. This is the reason for my concern (upthread) re: Chase reporting actual spend rather than closing balance.

Honestly I'm pretty concerned with the amount of spend I put on their cards - but I think there might be more flexibility if you have an AU. Even though you are technically responsible for all charges, I think banks are logical enough to know that if there is an AU people frequently split expenses in some way.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by vagrants
Yes they do.

Experian reports show this.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
Originally Posted by mithrin
Are you paying interest on the cards? If so, you're paying a lot more for the points gained from manu spend than you should be.
Did you really just ask that?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bender464
Yes they do.

Experian reports show this.

So what is the reason people advise to pre-pay cards? It must help utilization ratio, but I assumed that it also helped to 'hide' fake/manufactured/excessive over-utilization. Is a full history of utilization available, or only a snapshot of the prior month? Also, for all the fako reports I get, it only reports closing balance. Is the assertion that this info is only provided on hard pulls accurate as well?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CFFrost
So what is the reason people advise to pre-pay cards? It must help utilization ratio, but I assumed that it also helped to 'hide' fake/manufactured/excessive over-utilization. Is a full history of utilization available, or only a snapshot of the prior month? Also, for all the fako reports I get, it only reports closing balance. Is the assertion that this info is only provided on hard pulls accurate as well?
It's not just reported utilization, if you pay it off you can manufacture more then if you wait!

Last edited by PainCorp; Jun 18, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.