Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by KentyMac
Yes, I've read portions of that thread but not all 500 pages and search didn't turn up my answer. But if you can indeed buy the beans, load the bird, then pay for the beans with the bird - well, that's just amazing!
This is NOT a flame, but as a newbie you need to know that your question should have been raised in the existing thread on BB. Creating a new thread is a no-no when there is already a thread that discusses all the wonders of BB. The fact that you couldn't find the many posts on paying off CCs used to buy BB is NOT a reason to create a new thread. We all learn from our mistakes - God knows I have made plenty of them.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: DL GM, HHonors Diamond, UA Silver, A3 Gold
Lucked out in NYC last night. Someone "hided" 2 VRs and must have forgotten about them, because they were sitting on top of a high flat surface with a thick layer of dust on them. Their loss is my gain
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Can I use my Chase card to buy beans, load my blue feathered friend, then pay off my Chase card with it!?
You can do this, but I can easily see how it would trigger some red flags with Chase - therefore I do not do this or recommend others making a habit of doing this. Not worth the risk of getting blacklisted by Chase IMO.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:59 pm

Question

Originally Posted by michael21
This comes into pay because my wife, my mom and myself are buying VRs and we all have bluebirds but so does my dad. So can only send one of us $2500/month so Can he just "pay bill" the other $2500 to one of our bills?
I've read through a couple hundred pages in this thread but just want to clarify that both I and my wife can have a BB account? So we can each cycle $5k in VR per month?

Thanks for the clarification!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:08 pm

Question

<snip>

Forum error caused multiple posts.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
Yes you can both have individual BB accounts and load 5K each per calendar month.

<snip>

Forum error caused multiple posts.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United
+1. I do not want to mess with Chase. They have the best CC portfolio and I do not want to get blacklisted by them.

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
You can do this, but I can easily see how it would trigger some red flags with Chase - therefore I do not do this or recommend others making a habit of doing this. Not worth the risk of getting blacklisted by Chase IMO.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by rambo
+1. I do not want to mess with Chase. They have the best CC portfolio and I do not want to get blacklisted by them.
I do not see the issue paying a Chase card with BB (An AE product). An AE card yes, but not Chase.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingBear
I do not see the issue paying a Chase card with BB (An AE product). An AE card yes, but not Chase.
What about linking a checking account with your BB? Then, after loading up blue, transfer the money to your local bank and use that to pay the credit card.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:50 pm

Just checked a half-dozen OD & OM but none have any $500 denomination GC ($200 was highest). One had them about two weeks ago but not today. A couple OD stores told me they just recently quit carrying them as a chain.

I'd love to earn 5x with my Ink but no dice yet. Any suggestions or am I going to have to settle for 2x?

Thanks for your input!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 3:53 pm

Just checked a half-dozen OD & OM but none have any $500 denomination GC ($200 was highest). One had them about two weeks ago but not today. A couple OD stores told me they just recently quit carrying them as a chain.

I'd love to earn 5x with my Ink but no dice yet. Any suggestions or am I going to have to settle for 2x?

Thanks for your input!
The answer is just one click away.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: Work in progress.

Thanks for your input!
A word of advice. You will get a LOT of help on FT (99% of everyone here are really nice people ), IF you're willing to put in a little work.
Now, I'll give you the advantage of the doubt that (for what ever reason) you didn't know that OD has discontinued the $500 cards. BUT, a quick search (as shown below) would have given you a lot of information.

This rule of thumb will work for you any time your need help on FT.
Cheers. ^
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
I LOVE that website. hahaha. ^
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
. Any suggestions or am I going to have to settle for 2x?

Thanks for your input!
As for the second part of your question, you will only find $200 gc at OD, and given the fees and all, it's not worth it.
There are other ways of maximizing spend potential...for lack of a better analogy...I'd recommend trying this before trying this.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 5:43 pm

My BlueBird checks came in the mail today. That was quick!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:16 pm
mia
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

The original Bluebird thread has been closed due to the number of posts and the evolution of the product.

Last edited by mia; Mar 30, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.