Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Where in DC are these CVS? I'll be in DC the end of April and I would love to be able to buy some VRs...
They are practically on every other city block in DC (seriously) - but the availability varies from day to day and from store to store. You can easily find out where using good old-fashioned shoe leather (like I did).

Last edited by DCBob; Mar 26, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DCBob
Maybe I missed something here, but is this the first time you looked at this thread? Many of us are buying VR cards (mostly at CVS) with credit cards and getting points/miles that way. The cost of VR cards is below the value of the points/miles earned (usually) and VR card purchases help meet minimum spending limits for bonuses on some cards. Others are buying gift cards at office supply stores with a 5x bonus using Chase Ink cards and exchanging them for VR cards. There are HUNDREDS of posts in this thread with all the gory details. No one in their right mind would load funds directly online with BB using a debit card that carries a $2 transaction fee and a $100 limit per day.
When the VR hunt comes up negative there is always the mileage earning debit card to use at Walmart. Max $1000/day. Not as good as VR but can be worth it for some.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by robbert
When the VR hunt comes up negative there is always the mileage earning debit card to use at Walmart. Max $1000/day. Not as good as VR but can be worth it for some.
I didn't mention Walmart because the OP specifically said he didn't live near any Walmart stores, but it's a great alternative if you have a SunTrust Delta Skymiles World MasterCard debit card. You earn 1 mile per dollar loaded and there is zero cost at Walmart to load to a BB. There is the $75 SunTrust annual fee, and you need to open a checking account with them, but that's a small price to pay for all the miles you can earn. I have been banking with SunTrust in DC since 1987, and it's convenient because I live near several ST branches. Their service to established customers is outstanding. If you are simply trying to burn them for miles, they don't want you as a customer. That's why they slashed their sign-up bonus for the debit card.

Right now, Walmart has NO stores in the District of Columbia (just in the suburbs). But 3 DC stores are now under construction (with two scheduled to open later this year - one within a short walk of Union Station), and they are planning to build 3 additional stores in DC next year. So if you want lots of options to earn miles/points in DC, this is a great place to live.

Last edited by DCBob; Mar 26, 2013 at 4:54 pm
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:18 pm

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Just ordered my 100 checks! This is a little game changer for me, since I like to use BB to pay large bills.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:20 pm

Awesome, just ordered 100 checks.

I've been using VR/Bluebird to pay my student loans, but the Bill Pay wouldn't apply the money to the specific loans I wanted it to. So I couldn't target the highest interest loans like I wanted.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
Originally Posted by DCBob
Maybe I missed something here, but is this the first time you looked at this thread? Many of us are buying VR cards (mostly at CVS) with credit cards and getting points/miles that way... No one in their right mind would load funds directly online with BB using a debit card that carries a $2 transaction fee and a $100 limit per day.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Because I live in Manhattan where VRs are effectively non-existent, I have no experience with how you get the funds off the VRs and onto BB, and I can't find any posts explicitly addressing that. The VR-to-BB load mechanism is the missing link which everyone here is taking for granted (and which I assumed required a trip to Walmart.) Thanks for the reply -- my ignorance on this specific issue is purely a function of living in the country's biggest metropolis where neither Walmarts nor VRs are commonplace I'll presume from your bafflement that it can be done online for free...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Zeffer
I have no experience with how you get the funds off the VRs and onto BB
The instructions are on the back of the VR card. It's also explained in the BlueBird FAQ.
https://bluebird.com/faqs?linknav=us...Home-Faqs#cash
Old Mar 26, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
This is a little game changer for me, since I like to use BB to pay large bills.

If you are obtaining pre-authorization for a check over $2,000, it will not be approved immediately online. You will be asked for more information for processing, and it can take up to 2 business days for a decision.
This can be annoying...

Checks expire after 180 days from pre-authorization. An expired check will not be honored by us; any check that has expired will be declined, even if your account balance is sufficient.
Nothing mentioned what happens if the check expires.
We may need to wait 180 days to get the money back to our account instead of current 90 days.

Stop Payment
If you want to stop payment on a check that you have already pre-authorized, call Bluebird Customer Service at: 1-877-486-5990. Bluebird Checks that have been cashed or confirmed by the recipient may not be stopped.
This is a good news.

I may keep using BB only for CC payments.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
Originally Posted by ddallas
The instructions are on the back of the VR card. It's also explained in the BlueBird FAQ.
https://bluebird.com/faqs?linknav=us...Home-Faqs#cash
Ahhh. I have no access to VR cards, and I've pored over the BlueBird FAQs for months without suspecting that the place to find out how to use a credit card to buy a reload card to top up a Bluebird card without ever using cash would be the section labeled: "CASH DEPOSITS". Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Bluebird checks are finally here! Just ordered mine online, they are free for now, up to 100 checks.

Checks have to be "preauthorized", amounts over $2000 take 1-2 days to preauthorize.

Finally, a surefire way to pay taxes!

Looks like BB is FDIC insured now, and annual limit is 100K a year although the 5K/mo VR limit still applies.
This is perfect! I just did my taxes yesterday and have a few thousand in taxes and estimated taxes coming up. I will not pay the fee for using a credit card and don't have a miles-earning debit card, and I didn't like the idea of having BB send my payment separate from the tax return itself. BB checks are exactly what I need. I just ordered 100 - hope they're here before April 15! Now I need to hunt for more VR...my local source is out right now. At least earning miles will make paying those taxes (slightly) more bearable.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: US, AA, UA, LH, VX
Great news! Now I won't have to wonder if my rent check ever made it to the landlord! Just ordered the box of 100 bluebird checks for free! You would think there would be an e-mail sent to bluebird members to update us on the new features
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by BrandonDuh
Great news! Now I won't have to wonder if my rent check ever made it to the landlord! Just ordered the box of 100 bluebird checks for free! You would think there would be an e-mail sent to bluebird members to update us on the new features
I tend to find that, in general, FT is faster than corporate e-mails. Especially when something free is happening.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CFFrost
I tend to find that, in general, FT is faster than corporate e-mails. Especially when something free is happening.
+1-- This will be great, now I can pay the college tuition bills from BB, will just have to build up the balance each month. I wonder if they will start letting us load more monthly if people start using it for bigger payments.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:47 am

This is huge.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 6:19 am

Now we just need Amex to up the VR reload limit to 10K a month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.