Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by thegasguru
This has been covered repeatedly, and I can confirm from personal experience.

You can do an ACH push to BB (ie, direct deposit), but you cannot do an ACH pull from BB.
Thanks GG. I guess I was wishfully hoping that with the recent changes BB allowed this now. Maybe it will change still?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by Bender464
Thanks GG. I guess I was wishfully hoping that with the recent changes BB allowed this now. Maybe it will change still?
We can both hope. I'm not holding my breath, though, as it would allow us BB users to circumvent quite a number of fees.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline
it has been reported here at FT many times that people pay off early to keep the reported utilization low; however, some CC's report at different times (most report the statement closing balance).
I've noticed this too
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by thegasguru
We can both hope. I'm not holding my breath, though, as it would allow us BB users to circumvent quite a number of fees.
What do you mean? I only pay the fee to reload with VR. From there, I either swipe my card for purchases, use bill pay, withdraw to bank account, or now write checks. Am I missing another feature for more points?!
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:32 pm

Programs: Far too many
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Bluebird checks are finally here! Just ordered mine online, they are free for now, up to 100 checks.

Checks have to be "preauthorized", amounts over $2000 take 1-2 days to preauthorize.

Finally, a surefire way to pay taxes!

Looks like BB is FDIC insured now, and annual limit is 100K a year although the 5K/mo VR limit still applies.
Writing from personal experience:

Once you initiate a pre-authorization, BB immediately debits your account for the full amount of the check.

If the check is for more than $2K, they do not preauthorize before verifying, which they say takes up to 2 business days, and might include phoning you.

So, if you want to write a larger check, your money is on hold until BB gets back to you with the pre-authorization code, which you need to write on the check.

The alternative is to use billpay, which also debits immediately and takes a few days. But with billpay, BB mails the check in its own envelope, with the memo you requested, we hope. So you do not have the same control of the payment, and you cannot include a payment voucher, as you can with a check.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by crimsonAA
What do you mean? I only pay the fee to reload with VR. From there, I either swipe my card for purchases, use bill pay, withdraw to bank account, or now write checks. Am I missing another feature for more points?!
There are a number of vendors/web sites that will charge one fee to pay by credit card, yet another much lesser fee to pay by debit card.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
When I've used BB checks (twice), I've wondered what would happen if I messed up while writing the check. I've already gotten the pre-auth number, and told BB which check number it would be used on.

So, if I screw up writing that check (misspell a word, write wrong amount, etc.)...can I use the pre-auth number on another check, or what?

Anyone have experience with that yet?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
When I've used BB checks (twice), I've wondered what would happen if I messed up while writing the check. I've already gotten the pre-auth number, and told BB which check number it would be used on.

So, if I screw up writing that check (misspell a word, write wrong amount, etc.)...can I use the pre-auth number on another check, or what?

Just write the check before getting the #
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat

Edit: I is wrong so don't listen to me.

Last edited by WhateverDude; Apr 7, 2013 at 2:44 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:05 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
BB doesn't have the check #, so you should be able to write the same pre-auth # on another check.
This is incorrect. You enter the check number you want to pre-authorize in addition to the amount of the check.

If the check is over the $2000 limit, you also enter the payee name and address.

The pre-authorization number is specific to the check number and amount of check.

As to the original question, I don't know what would happen if you screwed up writing the check and had to void, but I suspect it would be a hassle.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
BB doesn't have the check #, so you should be able to write the same pre-auth # on another check.
With this comment, shows everybody you have NEVER written a BB check...
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by akp
This is incorrect. You enter the check number you want to pre-authorize in addition to the amount of the check.

If the check is over the $2000 limit, you also enter the payee name and address.

The pre-authorization number is specific to the check number and amount of check.

As to the original question, I don't know what would happen if you screwed up writing the check and had to void, but I suspect it would be a hassle.
Oh yeah...you're right. Edited my post.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
With this comment, shows everybody you have NEVER written a BB check...
I wrote ONE several days ago to pay the mortgage. I just didn't remember entering the check #. Sorry about the wrong info.

Last edited by WhateverDude; Apr 7, 2013 at 2:45 pm
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
I had placed in an order for some checks on Checks.com (125 for $5!! PM if interested)

I was looking both packages (from Checks.com and BB) today,
And I just realized something...
Spot the difference!

Last edited by jatink129; Apr 8, 2013 at 1:32 pm
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:43 pm

deleted

Last edited by pyrotalk; Jun 15, 2013 at 10:46 am Reason: personal
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by jatink129
I had placed in an order for some checks on Checks.com (125 for $5!! PM if interested)

I was looking at both packages today,
And I just realized something...
Spot the difference!
Different ship dates + bar codes.

What'd I win?

Last edited by mia; Apr 10, 2013 at 9:44 am Reason: Please do not "quote" images.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.