Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by akp
I just received my authorization code for this check via email. It's been less than 24 hours since my request (request 845pm 4/4, authorized 315pm 4/5.)

I did not receive a phone call prior to the check being authorized.

Also, I received notification that one of the smaller checks I'd written had cleared.

Anita
That's good to hear. I have a monthly bill that's just over $2000...I'll try using the authorization feature next time since it seemed to work well for you. I also like the notification that the check has cleared. I really like these new BB checks!^
Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:14 pm

Bluebird transfer for credit card payment

quick question--If I want to pay off , for example, 3k for Chase Credit card before the statement due date, is it a better idea to :

1. Pay off 3 separate times with Bluebird
2. Just make one payment from Bluebird
3. Make one or two payments from Bluebird and one from your bank checking account

Better idea= no red flag from Chase nor Bluebird
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Lucky's cash register hardcoded to cash or debit card

Just went to Lucky Stores, part of Sav-On in NorCal.
Excited to find a VR. But cash register says cash or debit card only.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, ANA
Data point: was able to fund my brokerage with the bill pay function

not sure if this is of any use to anyone, I am just hesitant to directly pay off my card with bluebird or do a ton of bank withdrawals
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
If you're going to do this, why make it complicated? I usually wait for the statement to close and generate, then send one BB payment. I also don't get the reason for paying off early, unless you are up against your limit and need to make more purchases.

One other point is that I don't do much load-BB pay on my Chase cards. No sense irritating them, and they can be easily irritated.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:22 pm

I pay off a large chase balance every month using bluebird. So far no problems, although I load with debit cards not VR....
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold
Monthly limit doesn't include checks??

I thought the monthly limit to load was $5K, and to spend was also $5K. But looking at the FAQ, I think I can spend $10K per month plus anything that I write on a check (which I just received!).

Am I misreading it?
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond because they have nothing higher
Originally Posted by ctbarron
If you're going to do this, why make it complicated? I usually wait for the statement to close and generate, then send one BB payment. I also don't get the reason for paying off early, unless you are up against your limit and need to make more purchases.

One other point is that I don't do much load-BB pay on my Chase cards. No sense irritating them, and they can be easily irritated.
I always pay all my CC the day if not moment I see my statement cut not to free up credit line but to make them happy and if I was ever to get a fee I can say on the phone look I have never made you wait for the Money I do OWE you. To each his own but I don't like to make anyone wait to get paid.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by distantarray
I'm curious how many VR's people have personally purchased so far...
I purchased 16 since I started by VR last September.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by Nottafatslob
I always pay all my CC the day if not moment I see my statement cut not to free up credit line but to make them happy and if I was ever to get a fee I can say on the phone look I have never made you wait for the Money I do OWE you. To each his own but I don't like to make anyone wait to get paid.
If I'm about to apply for more credit, I like to pay BEFORE a statement reports a balance to the CRA's. Otherwise, ^
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold

One other point is that I don't do much load-BB pay on my Chase cards.
+1
Old Apr 6, 2013, 12:26 pm

it has been reported here at FT many times that people pay off early to keep the reported utilization low; however, some CC's report at different times (most report the statement closing balance).
Old Apr 6, 2013, 1:08 pm

Can you use BB to have a company debit your account? For tuition, instead of us sending the money to them, they will only debit our account on a monthly basis. I would assume they can do this using the same routing number and account number you would use for direct deposit.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by mileshound
Can you use BB to have a company debit your account? For tuition, instead of us sending the money to them, they will only debit our account on a monthly basis. I would assume they can do this using the same routing number and account number you would use for direct deposit.

Every post I've read indicated no, but they were all before the recent changes. The closest answer I can find in the faqs -
Of course, you can always visit the biller's website and use your Bluebird Card to pay your bill.
I have initiated a monthly automatic debit on my student loans web site (for the .25% APR savings) using the BB routing and account #'s, but I imagine it will likely be rejected by BB. We'll see......
Old Apr 6, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by mileshound
Originally Posted by Bender464
Every post I've read indicated no, but they were all before the recent changes. The closest answer I can find in the faqs -

I have initiated a monthly automatic debit on my student loans web site (for the .25% APR savings) using the BB routing and account #'s, but I imagine it will likely be rejected by BB. We'll see......
This has been covered repeatedly, and I can confirm from personal experience.

You can do an ACH push to BB (ie, direct deposit), but you cannot do an ACH pull from BB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.