Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Alcibiades
Blue Monday thanks to Cerberus

=======================
xx/xx/15 - xx/xx/15 Promotion

Participating items must be purchased in a single transaction. Limit one(1) offer per transaction

These coupons often do not scan properly(coming up -0.01 along with a 0.01) and require override. Override is always required at SCO.

If the coupon off your next order does not print out, you can request it online here.

When redeeming the coupon, the following items are excluded in the calculation of the minimum spend requirement:
-Fluid dairy such as Milk, Half & Half, etc
-Blunts, alcohol, and smokes
-Gift cards, Lottery tickets, MoneyGram, etc
Print Wikipost

Safeway/Vons master thread(up to 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
thankfully, come wednesday, there is a way to find out. and since you were the first to bring it up, according to offcial MS rules, you must take one for the team and buy a variable on wednesday and report back to the thread. thanks in advance.

the last time i think the variables didn't work. but you never know...
Will definitely take one for the team on Wednesday, if my favorite cashiers happen to work on that day. Safeway's around the Pacific Northwest are pretty strict about CC on Variable GC. They told me it was a fraud issue, which was a load of bs. They would allow people to get 10x$200 GC on credit, but not a single 500 variable. I brought up that point and the lady simply asked "Do you have cash, or not?"
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
super strategy: zero diversification. and make sure the ONLY thing you buy with your chase card is VGC's from staples. they love nothing more than 100% of spend from 5% category.
Did you read my post or did you just see "Staples $200 Ink" and jump straight to your [redacted] comment? Where did I say I use my Ink for VGC purchases only? I said if I'm going to buy any $200 VGCs, that would pretty much be the only scenario I'd do so. [redacted]

Last edited by cbn42; Jun 16, 2014 at 11:24 pm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by payeco
Did you read my post or did you just see "Staples $200 Ink" and jump straight to your [redacted] comment? Where did I say I use my Ink for VGC purchases only? I said if I'm going to buy any $200 VGCs, that would pretty much be the only scenario I'd do so. [redacted]
[redacted] if you don't think it's a good deal- move on. no need to post about buuying staples vgc purchases in a safeway thread- or don't you understand that?

spoon feeding:

it's a good deal.
most of us have more than 1 credit card we ms
many of us do 6 figures of ms/month. we diversify
there are credit cards with grocery category spend bonuses @:-)

[redacted]

Last edited by cbn42; Jun 16, 2014 at 11:35 pm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh
Will definitely take one for the team on Wednesday, if my favorite cashiers happen to work on that day. Safeway's around the Pacific Northwest are pretty strict about CC on Variable GC. They told me it was a fraud issue, which was a load of bs. They would allow people to get 10x$200 GC on credit, but not a single 500 variable. I brought up that point and the lady simply asked "Do you have cash, or not?"
in your case, that official corporate memo about what can and cannot be bought with credit cards can help you.

if it was my closest store, i'd probably talk to a manager and mention that another safeway showed you a corporate memo that went to all stores and that variable visa and mc were approved by corporate to buy with credit cards (they are, i've seen the memo several times). i've actually had a store let me buy as an exception because i showed my passport and DL to make the manager comfortable with me.

given cards with grocery bonus, it may be worth the effort, and save you a bunch of time driving to other stores...
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
my point, which you failed to grasp, was that YOUR post was useless. if you don't think it's a good deal- move on. no need to post about buuying staples vgc purchases in a safeway thread- or don't you understand that?

spoon feeding:

it's a good deal.
most of us have more than 1 credit card we ms
many of us do 6 figures of ms/month. we diversify
there are credit cards with grocery category spend bonuses @:-)

iow, MS 101.

khao chai mai? (do you understand)
My point was the hassle of unloading $200 VGCs for an extra $4 profit per VGC is not worth it since I'll also get 5% CB on a $500 variable load VGC with my Amex BC and it is much easier to unload. That's also why I said if it got gas points as well it may be worth the hassle. If this deal allows variable loads though then it's a no brainer. I don't need any lessons from you in MSing...

Is discussion of deals no longer allowed on here or do you just like to pick fights with people over nothing?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
in your case, that official corporate memo about what can and cannot be bought with credit cards can help you.

if it was my closest store, i'd probably talk to a manager and mention that another safeway showed you a corporate memo that went to all stores and that variable visa and mc were approved by corporate to buy with credit cards (they are, i've seen the memo several times). i've actually had a store let me buy as an exception because i showed my passport and DL to make the manager comfortable with me.

given cards with grocery bonus, it may be worth the effort, and save you a bunch of time driving to other stores...
This is interesting information. How long ago was this memo? I wonder if that was a regional thing.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:53 pm

This is interesting information. How long ago was this memo? I wonder if that was a regional thing.
Same thing happened to me. I asked to buy the RL and was shot down, then I gave them a 6 dollar fee VGC and they said, oh yeah these are OK, as the NEW MEMO now allows it! Ask and ask firmly to talk with the manager and he/she will set the people straight!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:53 pm

[redacted]
oh, c'mon. i was teaching him Thai!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by raccah
Same thing happened to me. I asked to buy the RL and was shot down, then I gave them a 6 dollar fee VGC and they said, oh yeah these are OK, as the NEW MEMO now allows it! Ask and ask firmly to talk with the manager and he/she will set the people straight!
Nice! Will try tomorrow (or Wednesday when the promotion starts)
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:05 am

this was the memo that killed Reloadit cards. that is why i have seen it TOO MANY TIMES, unfortunately.

TO ALL READING THIS: NEVER bring up the memo in a store unless ALL cashiers (ie: not just a few) are denying purchasing everything with credit cards. some stores are still alive for other 'banned' products, so don't kill a store that hasn't already died!

all the stores got it- safeway, randalls, Vons, etc. i think it originally came out in march or april. here, several stores have it posted at the register by the cheat sheets for cashiers. some have it posted at the gc kiosk. it separates the cards into cash only, cash/debit, cash/debit/credit card.

it was an email and was printed out.

Last edited by uncommonsensical; Jun 17, 2014 at 12:07 am Reason: clarity
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:15 am

this was the memo that killed Reloadit cards. that is why i have seen it TOO MANY TIMES, unfortunately.

TO ALL READING THIS: NEVER bring up the memo in a store unless ALL cashiers (ie: not just a few) are denying purchasing everything with credit cards. some stores are still alive for other 'banned' products, so don't kill a store that hasn't already died!

all the stores got it- safeway, randalls, Vons, etc. i think it originally came out in march or april. here, several stores have it posted at the register by the cheat sheets for cashiers. some have it posted at the gc kiosk. it separates the cards into cash only, cash/debit, cash/debit/credit card.

it was an email and was printed out.
I think I have seen a version of the cheat sheets just recently and Variable MC and Visa were listed on the cash-only column. Should have taken a quick picture while I was there.

The last comment on this link is not helping. But I guess it never hurts giving it a try:

http://quickdeals.frequentmiler.net/...stercards.html
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by payeco
My point was the hassle of unloading $200 VGCs for an extra $4 profit per VGC is not worth it since I'll also get 5% CB on a $500 variable load VGC with my Amex BC and it is much easier to unload. That's also why I said if it got gas points as well it may be worth the hassle.
you made no such distinction in your initial post. you simply said it wasn't a worthwhile deal then talked OT about staples.

with or without gas points it's a good deal and very worthwhile if you know how to augment it. it's been around periodically for a long time.

and now i will be thankful again for the ignore function.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:22 am

I think I have seen a version of the cheat sheets just recently and Variable MC and Visa were listed on the cash-only column. Should have taken a quick picture while I was there.

The last comment on this link is not helping. But I guess it never hurts giving it a try:

http://quickdeals.frequentmiler.net/...stercards.html
that would have to be a new memo- i have not seen nor heard of a new memo. hope not!

the deal in that FM link was regional (first time i'd ever seen that)- i think only colorado. it didn't work in CA or TX, i know that.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:29 am

Variable MC and Visa were listed on the cash-only column.
I have seen this cheat sheet, but long before "the memo" came out a few months ago. Interesting to hear "the memo" said variable Visa/MC are no longer cash only. When my store got "the memo" they claimed everything was now cash only (even fixed Visa/MC). I guess I need to press them to see the actual memo.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 12:29 am

that would have to be a new memo- i have not seen nor heard of a new memo. hope not!

the deal in that FM link was regional (first time i'd ever seen that)- i think only colorado. it didn't work in CA or TX, i know that.
You're right about the FM link, but the last comment on that link was what was worth paying attention to (for me anyway). And I think the person was commenting on the Variable Mastercard

"I got shot down really hard in Bellevue, WA. "Cash only!" All of the Seattle area stores have gotten the memo."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.