Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:14 pm

Is the new paypal my cash card no longer carried in CVS? it is gone in all my local store(s). Wondering whether it is permanently dis-shelf or just temporarily out of stock
Old Oct 15, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
Originally Posted by susieling
Is the new paypal my cash card no longer carried in CVS? it is gone in all my local store(s). Wondering whether it is permanently dis-shelf or just temporarily out of stock

I think it's temporarily out of stock. saw them in many stores yesterday
Old Oct 15, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Does CVS or RA sell any GC that can be loaded at WM? (at more that $49.99 a pop)
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:52 pm

My local Rite Aid started to ask me to only use credit card with chip for VGC purchase from last week. They claimed it will prevent credit card fraud. Now I cannot use AGC at Rite Aid anymore. I just hope that my local CVS and Wally will not ask for the same thing.

Originally Posted by wharvey
I tried a Rite Aid for the first time yesterday. Bought four cards for $2K with no problem... not even a drivers license check. One transaction.

Went back with my partner last night.... and we each did $2K each.... Funny... my clerk said she had to split it into two $1K transactions. My partner's clerk right beside my clerk made him do four $500 transactions. I just had to laugh.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:57 am

Probably just a rogue employee who doesn't know what they're talking about, but:

Last night, was refused to split tender with two credit cards, cited that computer won't let him. I politely told him that I had done it literally yesterday, and wondered if it was a policy specific to his CVS. He claimed it was nationwide policy recently implemented, and I was unable to SE my way into getting him to try splitting. Then he wondered how I could have done it yesterday as there is a '$2000 per week limit'. I again politely told him that the limit is 2k/24 hours (gift cards were already rung up with my ID, so clearly the computer was going to let me buy them). He then claimed that at least in Florida, there may be a 2k/week limit coming up sometimes soon.

Based on the entire interaction, I think this dude was just of his rocker, but figured it might be worth throwing out here to see if anyone has had a similar experience.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:17 am

I swear, some of these employees act like you're trying to take money out of THEIR bank account.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hbax
I swear, some of these employees act like you're trying to take money out of THEIR bank account.
NOthing new been happening for years.. I just smile and leave.. Remember these are mim wage jobs, it's the only plearsure they get in life.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by riverdoglb
Does CVS or RA sell any GC that can be loaded at WM? (at more that $49.99 a pop)
No. It's unfortunate, but they only carry OVs.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FSG378
My local Rite Aid started to ask me to only use credit card with chip for VGC purchase from last week. They claimed it will prevent credit card fraud. Now I cannot use AGC at Rite Aid anymore. I just hope that my local CVS and Wally will not ask for the same thing.
Curious as to why you are still using AGC...
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CWAL
Probably just a rogue employee who doesn't know what they're talking about, but:

Last night, was refused to split tender with two credit cards, cited that computer won't let him. I politely told him that I had done it literally yesterday, and wondered if it was a policy specific to his CVS. He claimed it was nationwide policy recently implemented, and I was unable to SE my way into getting him to try splitting. Then he wondered how I could have done it yesterday as there is a '$2000 per week limit'. I again politely told him that the limit is 2k/24 hours (gift cards were already rung up with my ID, so clearly the computer was going to let me buy them). He then claimed that at least in Florida, there may be a 2k/week limit coming up sometimes soon.

Based on the entire interaction, I think this dude was just of his rocker, but figured it might be worth throwing out here to see if anyone has had a similar experience.
Nope. I had a cashier SWEAR that he was limited to $500/day at CVS. I politely encouraged him to go verify with a manager. After he did, he had a dumbfounded look on his face. I also politely explained to him that swiping my ID was the computer's way of limiting my purchase to $2k per 24 hours. He worked in cosmetic normally (by his badge) so I assume he didn't know anyways. However, I can imagine that people don't like being told how to do their job esp by an outsider.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
NOthing new been happening for years.. I just smile and leave.. Remember these are mim wage jobs, it's the only plearsure they get in life.
Oh, I always smile and walk away. Attempting to argue with them is like trying to talk to somebody in a cult.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:10 am

Has anyone had issues purchasing cards at CVS due to ID scan not going through? The screen does a countdown in seconds and then says the system is down.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:08 pm

Does anyone know the max amount of swipes allowed for a split payment?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Lucky888
Does anyone know the max amount of swipes allowed for a split payment?
According to the wiki, seven.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
According to the wiki
LOL oops. Thanks, I'll learn to read and use the internet some day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.