Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by 21H21J
Is it time to admit defeat and start the "Redirected Spend UK" thread?
You really don't accept that there us a spectrum. Overlap
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luckyjim
3V Ts and Cs say there is a foreign exchange fee of 'up to' 2.75% for purchases made in a currency other than sterling.
I meant, there is no route for 3V -> USD (in hard currency) at the spot rate, of which I am aware. If you could do it for 2.75% fee it would be interesting but you would face similar losses transferring your USD cash back into GBP, unless you do a lot of business in the US, although maybe it's worth thinking about. The other trouble is that £ several k each month into USD cash and back might raise eyebrows but I suppose that is always a risk with manufactured spend!

Originally Posted by flieduk
Indeed, he certainly does not.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:20 pm

Programs: Some, not all.
Auto-correct much?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
I think you could be right...
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
How can there be an overlap?

MS would be buying a 3V from Tesco with your Amex, then having that £25 back in your account for when the bill comes in.
RS is just paying for something with a 3V instead of with your Amex - you're still spending £25 but not getting any of it back.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Oh

MS would be buying a 3V from Tesco with your Amex, then having that £25 back in your account for when the bill comes in.
RS is just paying for something with a 3V instead of with your Amex - you're still spending £25 but not getting any of it back.
MS would then be getting a refund of that money that was paid in advance on those bills which some of us are doing successfully in rather decent amounts.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:42 pm

MS would also be using the spend x get y off vouchers at Tesco to purchase fee-based Visa gift cards which can still be run through NS&I without needing to register the cards.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by flashware
MS would also be using the spend x get y off vouchers at Tesco to purchase fee-based Visa gift cards which can still be run through NS&I without needing to register the cards.
By that logic so would finding £10 on the street and using it to offset the fee on visa cards. If you could generate the spend x get y off vouchers on demand it'll be MS, but also counterfeiting.

SteveOh's definition is bang on.

Overpaying bills might work, but unless you can get the money refunded before the credit card bill is due means you have to carry the cost for a month (or more). I work for a large UK company that many people pay a monthly bill to, and one of our internal fraud triggers is multiple or large refunds, and large credit balances. Due to the nature of some of our products we have to comply with the FCA across the whole business- which includes "put policies and procedures in place to prevent and detect money laundering".
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:37 am

By that logic so would finding £10 on the street and using it to offset the fee on visa cards. If you could generate the spend x get y off vouchers on demand it'll be MS, but also counterfeiting.

SteveOh's definition is bang on.

Overpaying bills might work, but unless you can get the money refunded before the credit card bill is due means you have to carry the cost for a month (or more). I work for a large UK company that many people pay a monthly bill to, and one of our internal fraud triggers is multiple or large refunds, and large credit balances. Due to the nature of some of our products we have to comply with the FCA across the whole business- which includes "put policies and procedures in place to prevent and detect money laundering".
Actually, you're talking about a hypothetical situation - I'm referring to a real world one. Currently for a select few Tesco are printing spend x off y vouchers for every y spent - it's a revolving door at the moment. People are quite happily turning around, buying more cards, more vouchers are being spit out and repeating the process. I fail to see how this isn't MS.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by flashware
Actually, you're talking about a hypothetical situation - I'm referring to a real world one. Currently for a select few Tesco are printing spend x off y vouchers for every y spent - it's a revolving door at the moment. People are quite happily turning around, buying more cards, more vouchers are being spit out and repeating the process. I fail to see how this isn't MS.
What might be MS for you, may not be MS for some
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Why don't you post your current MS techniques here to bring the thread back on topic? Hardly surprising that this all becomes about redirected spending if no one is willing to say a word about manufactured spending.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Steve Oh

Yes and the overlap would be a chain of transactions that allows you to put 10x the value through in 3V on an item you would buy anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by nearlyheadlessian
Why don't you post your current MS techniques here to bring the thread back on topic? Hardly surprising that this all becomes about redirected spending if no one is willing to say a word about manufactured spending.
this is why
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:54 am

Yes and the overlap would be a chain of transactions that allows you to put 10x the value through in 3V on an item you would buy anyway.
+1

Council Tax is a great example of that. Instead of earning 0 points/year I am earning ~15,000-20,000 that I otherwise would have missed out on as direct debits don't earn any miles
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Well quite. But if you're not willing to share then it's not cool to pester others who are posting within the spirit of the thread, even if it doesn't quite fit the original parameters. Frankly, there must be a middle ground between posting how to do everything (like PTS) and posting the most uselessly cryptic stuff ever (think the fuel surcharge dumping threads here on FT) that would satisfy your thirst?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.