Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, QR Silver, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold
After a month or so of trying to find a Tesco with 3V cards in London, I finally came across 28 at the Brent Cross Tesco superstore.

They wouldnt let me buy them at the till and said I had to go to customer services. They said they couldnt sell me any on my CC. Called over the manager who then said that I can only buy 2 on my CC and a maximum of 5, but 5 only with cash!!

He went on to say that this was new policy, as we "all use visa cards and this is to protect us from fraud and is in everyones benefit". While this was going on a couple of security guards on the front door came and stood by the manager.

Just walked out then.

Bought 5 of the 3.95 Visa cards on my way home as a constellation prize .

There should be 28 of the 3V cards in Brent Cross if someone wants to pick them up.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Sounds like manager is an idiot.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Sounds like manager is an idiot.
Probably not a complete idiot, just ill-informed on the gift card rules and paranoid when confronted with bizarre buying behaviour. Just go back once the next shift has started and try again!
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:01 pm

Possibly.
I just know I've never had any problem buying any amount, so could just be them not doing their jobs properly.

Might well be worth popping back at 10 tomorrow.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Some, not all.
Today I've been told by Tesco staff:

3v cards cards only be sold 5 at a time due to activation issues. But they were happy to sell 5 lots of 2 and let me use HH coupons ^

Gift cards do not earn clubcard points. This was at the CS desk when claiming points on a receipt when my clubcard was not scanned.

Just as you would 'hang up and call again' the same applies in store. There's absolutely nothing to be gained by kicking up a fuss, much better to say thanks and buy whatever limit they impose, wait 10 minutes and then go back and buy the rest.

I'm finding Saturday morning is prime time as it's easy to hit different checkouts and buy 10 cards at a time. Plenty of part time staff less bothered about memos, and busy enough that they just want to get clear the queues.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:40 pm

I was told about the 5 card thing, but when I insisted I wanted to do even numbers they out them through in 6s and 8s - not been brave enough to try 10 in one go.

The annoying thing is Morrisons did all 40 in one hit.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, QR Silver, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, AMEX Gold
Originally Posted by 21H21J
Today I've been told by Tesco staff:

3v cards cards only be sold 5 at a time due to activation issues. But they were happy to sell 5 lots of 2 and let me use HH coupons ^

Gift cards do not earn clubcard points. This was at the CS desk when claiming points on a receipt when my clubcard was not scanned.

Just as you would 'hang up and call again' the same applies in store. There's absolutely nothing to be gained by kicking up a fuss, much better to say thanks and buy whatever limit they impose, wait 10 minutes and then go back and buy the rest.

I'm finding Saturday morning is prime time as it's easy to hit different checkouts and buy 10 cards at a time. Plenty of part time staff less bothered about memos, and busy enough that they just want to get clear the queues.
You are right. I think I just got excited coming across the 3V cards for the first time that I tried to push through quite a few.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
My wife found 20 last week. The young till girl said "we've had a memo about these, let me check before I sell them". Manager came over "What do you need 20 cards for?". My wife "My husband somehow converts them into airmiles. I don't know how. If it's an issue then just leave them." Manager "No it's fine. Out them through in batches of £100."

Weird.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:23 am

Programs: Some, not all.
It's been a good week or two

FYI a pack of Polo's is 12cm
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:52 am

Another memo to staff - yet another gap for stupid interpretations.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 3:00 am

Now is the perfect time to say they're for Christmas presents, if you get asked.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Now is the perfect time to say they're for Christmas presents, if you get asked.
I started that last month.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by sinizter
I started that last month.
So far I've done Ede and Hannukah - the good thing is nobody dare question your religious actions these days
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:07 am

59 3V cards yesterday.

Sadly just from Morrisons though, but I put them through as 40 + 19, so I've now got £1.70 off every litre of fuel
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: Silver BAEC, Diamond Hilton Honors, Gold SPG
Manufactured Spend UK

When shopping at morrisons can you combine petrol coupons from separate gift card purchases?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.