Wiki Posts
Search

Vanilla reload broken PIN scam reports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Vanilla reload broken PIN scam reports

This is a thread to report the VRs that have been tampered and are being used by somebody as a scam. Post here so others know where the broken cards are.

ATL: CVS East Cobb Barret and Bells Ferry. 6 digit PIN 2/13. Cash value stolen withen 2 hrs. (They had good cards 2/4)

ATL: CVS 285 & New Northisde, 6 digit PIN 1/27. Cash value not stolen.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:14 pm

Any chance this is related to the removal of the cards from stores, and the supposed "redesign" involves a harder to steal PIN?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:31 pm

I had this happen to me today at the ATL CVS, just inside 285 on Peachtree Industrial.

I saw the back of the cards and noticed wrinkles along the scratch off area. I found two that had less tampered look. However, the cashier accidentally pressed the cash button when i was checking out. So I grabbed another that was on the rack. When I scratched off the card, only the first and the last 4 digits were visible.

Good news is that I called InComm and after emailing a picture of the defective card, they were able to manually input the money onto my BB account while on the phone with them. Only took two phone calls and 30 minutes in between to take care of the problem.

-Sam
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

On my recent bad card I can see a very slight wrinkle if I hold it at an angle.

Looks like perhaps the strip was only lifted about 1/3 off. Enough to somehow erase the 3 digits, then when placed back left a slight wrinkle.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
ATL: 3637 Peachtree Road NE, 6 digit pin 1/28. No idea about funds, received new PINs 10 days later.

Also, from the main thread:

Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
That would not be good, as it could make them think I've done something wrong.

I bought my VRs at CVS at 680 Ponce de Leon Ave; Atlanta GA 30306

Of those who PM'd me with the same problem:
1 report of CVS at 680 Ponce de Leon Ave; Atlanta GA 30306
1 report of CVS "Downtown Decatur on Ponce"
1 report of CVS "Smyrna"
1 report with no location provided
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
Any chance this is related to the removal of the cards from stores, and the supposed "redesign" involves a harder to steal PIN?
Considering it's only happening in ATL. No.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by samleeatl
...Good news is that I called InComm and after emailing a picture of the defective card, they were able to manually input the money onto my BB account while on the phone with them. Only took two phone calls and 30 minutes in between to take care of the problem.
They seem to be getting much faster at dealing with these - must be all the practice they've been getting.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
On my recent bad card I can see a very slight wrinkle if I hold it at an angle.

Looks like perhaps the strip was only lifted about 1/3 off. Enough to somehow erase the 3 digits, then when placed back left a slight wrinkle.
If only a third of it was lifted, how would the suspect be able to see the remaining two-thirds?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ducati
If only a third of it was lifted, how would the suspect be able to see the remaining two-thirds?
Easy if they are getting inside help, which almost certainly is the case. The CSRs certainly have the ability to pull a PIN (kind of scarry, they should have the ability to override the PIN with a documented transaction is all).

Now that I know what to look for, the damage to the strip is clear. Hold the card at an angle so you get light reflecting off, and you can see slightly raised vertical lines where the strip has not been re-applied as well as the orriginal mfg process. On mine it is clear on the bottom (I can even feel it with a finger), but almost invisible along the top.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by PainCorp
only happening in ATL.
As far as you know.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:55 pm

I thought the theory on this previously was that there was a bad batch that got sent out to ATL stores. Are we definitely thinking fraud now?

Just scratch them off before you walk away from the counter and you'll be good.

I'm confused though, how is a crook making money by tampering with numbers? Are we suggesting they write the numbers down, put it back on the shelf, and then are constantly waiting/checking at a computer for it to be activated so they can go spend it real quick?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:24 pm

I just load my cards using my phone at the store much easier to have a sense of mind
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:28 pm

I was told you had to wait 24hours after purchasing the VR cards to load them into BB, is this false?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaminski6
I was told you had to wait 24hours after purchasing the VR cards to load them into BB, is this false?
false.

The only time this happened was when during the holiday time CVS system was overwhelmed and they had some issues to activate the cards, all cards, not just VR.

Otherwise, the moment it is activated, the moment you can load it.

Didn't you read many folks now load the cards thru their phones while they are still in the stores?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:34 pm

Not sure swear I read it here, been waiting to load these damned things!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.