Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vanilla reload broken PIN scam reports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: DL, SPG, HH,
Originally Posted by JHL77
agoogilydoogily, Were the funds already taken off the 2 cards you previously purchased?
I don't know. I asked a few different times. Once it got kicked to the fraud department the regular csr's had no other information to tell me.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:59 am

This is madness. Seems like the thieves are hitting most of the ATL stores that sell the VR cards by credit card and perhaps those that do not also, but those probably would not be reported here.

Yea, this was the one around Sandy Springs area on Roswell Road slightly north of 285, but before Abernathy.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:01 pm

Maybe it's an organized effort by a small, dedicated group of rogue FlyerTalkers to help prevent folks from buying VRs which they can't possibly load to BB for weeks. This would help achieve the FT community's ultimate goal of slowing down those who purchase too many cards at a time, sharing the wealth, keeping the dream alive, etc.

To that small band of dedicated professionals, I salute you. Godspeed in your quest.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Up in MA here and haven't had any issues, but will certainly be scratching off the PIN at the register now before purchasing... and then loading immediately after purchase.

I am already careful before I purchase to look at the cards and I'd go home and load within 10 min of purchasing, but I think best bet now is to scratch the pin at the register and then load with a smartphone while you're there or in the parking lot.

With the fraud being confined to ATL currently, it sounds like an organized group that is lifting and tampering the cards, then returning them to stores. Then they'd run through a spreadsheet of stolen PINs and try to load and see what gets lucky.

This is what I've been doing from day one and never had any issues...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:30 pm

I'm assuming this is still just confined to ATL area?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PP
Just to update everyone, they just told me they are sending me a dispute form to fill out. I suppose some of you guys were able to get it resolved without this? I do know for a fact that the funds were loaded to someone else within 2 hours b/c when I called they said it was loaded to the same NetSpend account. They said dispute can take up to 90 days. Guess I'll be working with AMEX from the other side for this. So frustrating.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold
I had to fill out the dispute form, but this is just paperwork.

However, yesterday, they told me to fill out a police report to proceed. This was some CSR and I am still waiting to talk to someone in the dep't itself. This is getting crazy. Seems they resolve some issues and make others jump through the hoops.

agoogilydoogily, do you have a direct phone number to get in touch with someone, or you always had to call the general number and get transferred?

i remember seeing something about somebody had to do police report?

What can CC company do?
We'd be disputing charge with CVS and seems they didnt do anything wrong...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:24 am

this is getting out of hand.
"case closed, file police report"...

i am thinking of going to their head quarters
250 Williams Street 5th Floor Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: DL, SPG, HH,
Originally Posted by alik99
I had to fill out the dispute form, but this is just paperwork.

However, yesterday, they told me to fill out a police report to proceed. This was some CSR and I am still waiting to talk to someone in the dep't itself. This is getting crazy. Seems they resolve some issues and make others jump through the hoops.

agoogilydoogily, do you have a direct phone number to get in touch with someone, or you always had to call the general number and get transferred?

i remember seeing something about somebody had to do police report?

What can CC company do?
We'd be disputing charge with CVS and seems they didnt do anything wrong...
I never had to fill out a dispute form or a police report.
I would consider disputing the charge with your CC. Keep it simple. CVS sold you something that had been fraudulently tampered with, thus making it worthless to you. They may want a copy of a police report as well.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:29 am

I disputed the charge with Chase (i used Freedom to buy card).
very disappointed...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:21 am

I had to fill in a police report.

Trying to explain the situation to the officer was interesting! There were definitely a few quizzical looks from him as I tried to go through the problem!

I've also disputed the charge with Amex...covering my bases.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hope this fraud doesn't spread and end up getting the cards pulled from everyplace.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by PacificTwo
I had to fill in a police report.

Trying to explain the situation to the officer was interesting! There were definitely a few quizzical looks from him as I tried to go through the problem!

I've also disputed the charge with Amex...covering my bases.
Is this still going on or you got it resolved?
which police station did you go to?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Just to update everyone, they just told me they are sending me a dispute form to fill out. I suppose some of you guys were able to get it resolved without this? I do know for a fact that the funds were loaded to someone else within 2 hours b/c when I called they said it was loaded to the same NetSpend account. They said dispute can take up to 90 days. Guess I'll be working with AMEX from the other side for this. So frustrating.
I also had to go down this path. You can get them to email the form to you. It is a retarded form (it disputing charges on a card, not the VR scam), but just get the facts down and mail/fax it back.

My issue was resolved about 8 days after this.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by alik99
770-882-2284 Then press # (I think, but you will be prompted) )to ring her. Somebody named Sherryl or such will answer. She sounded more on the ball than the CSRs were.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.