Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vanilla reload broken PIN scam reports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 4:01 pm

Just a thought on this has anyone had a problem with the VR that need to be swiped to load as opposed to the scan to load variety???
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:30 pm

Visited my local Atlanta CVS earlier this evening. The manager kindly asked that I scratch to reveal the pin before she rang them up. She said she had 14, yes FOURTEEN, in a row, that were all missing some of the digits earlier in the day. Luckily she caught them all before anyone bought them, but yes, 14 vanilla reload cards missing digits.

I asked if she could tell that they had been tampered with, and she said they definitely had NOT been tampered with. No evidence of any tampering she told me, implying it had to be some sort of manufacturing error.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacisme
Visited my local Atlanta CVS earlier this evening. The manager kindly asked that I scratch to reveal the pin before she rang them up. She said she had 14, yes FOURTEEN, in a row, that were all missing some of the digits earlier in the day. Luckily she caught them all before anyone bought them, but yes, 14 vanilla reload cards missing digits.

I asked if she could tell that they had been tampered with, and she said they definitely had NOT been tampered with. No evidence of any tampering she told me, implying it had to be some sort of manufacturing error.
I dont get it. If it is bad batches from manufacturing error, why almost all of them in various ATL stores (with one report at VaBeach) and not other parts of the country? Isn't that too co-incidence?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I dont get it. If it is bad batches from manufacturing error, why almost all of them in various ATL stores (with one report at VaBeach) and not other parts of the country? Isn't that too co-incidence?
agreed. It's highly unlikely they are being delivered or shipped only to ATL coincidentally.

Shenanigans are certainly highly probable at this point.

Last edited by shoreline; Feb 19, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: DL, SPG, HH,
Originally Posted by jacisme

I can definitely tell my cards were tampered with. One couldn't tell before scratching off the PIN. After scratching it off, and inspecting the area where the 4 digits are missing, I can see an indentation in the card where the numbers used to be - i.e. it's obvious someone had to apply some pressure to get the numbers off (they don't scrape off easily).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by punjabi2
Man, this is worrisome.
it has been kind of a pain for me. I plan on doing what babycakes suggested. I'll always check the PIN before swiping my card from now on.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 1:59 pm

I think you mean Piedmont Hospital instead of Northside. I have used this store a few times without issue.

Someone really needs to put a stop to this. One would think InComm should be able to trace where the funds are being unloaded. But perhaps those cards are only used once and thrown away.

Originally Posted by PacificTwo
Last night I had the misfortune to acquire a VR with a 6 digit pin in Atlanta.

I called InComm ASAP that night and the agent apparently found the credit and applied it to the Amex BB number I provided him. But the credit never showed up! He also did not provide a confirmation number - which I should have caught and asked for, but the thought didn't register in time.

So now InComm are advising that I need to file a police report and start a rather involved process for resolution! Grrrrr.

Sadly, I'm not sure what one can do to prevent picking up the mis-printed/modified pin. I checked in store and there was no tampering evident.

For the record this was the CVS on Peachtree opposite Northside Hospital in Atlanta
Address: 1943 Peachtree Rd NE.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by thisisyourlife
I think you mean Piedmont Hospital instead of Northside. I have used this store a few times without issue.

Someone really needs to put a stop to this. One would think InComm should be able to trace where the funds are being unloaded. But perhaps those cards are only used once and thrown away.
Yes, my apologies - Piedmont Hospital. I only pass by it twice a day!

I went back and checked the supplies tonight and for anyone who wants to play pin roulette, there is a fresh stock in store!

I also talked to the store manager and she said it was fine if you wish to scratch off the pin at the register prior to purchasing. So I will echo the direction to scratch off prior to purchase!
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:11 pm

I've been doing equal parts VR and Paypal and am considering doing just Paypal until the fraud slows down.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by babycakes01
With all the noise about bad reload cards in the Atlanta area, why not simply scratch off the bottom to verify all digits exist BEFORE purchase?
Well, multiple posters over on the main AMEX B-bird thread would accuse you of running a scam for doing eactly such. Don't ask my why they think such.

On a more serious concern about this, the numbers could now be seen by the clerk. Have you changed one scam for another?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Just got scammed.
Downtown ATL, CVS near Five Points.

Got 4 bad cards.
Was able to recover 3 by calling them.
4th one was loaded already, so now have to dispute it by filling out bunch of forms.

This is crazy... not worth the hassle.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by alik99
Just got scammed.
Downtown ATL, CVS near Five Points.

Got 4 bad cards.
Was able to recover 3 by calling them.
4th one was loaded already, so now have to dispute it by filling out bunch of forms.

This is crazy... not worth the hassle.
They're having you fill out forms? What sort of forms?

All I had to do was scan in the front and back of my cards and email them in.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold
The crooks were able to get the funds off the ReLoad card and load them onto their card. So, the reload card that i got had nothing on it. Thats why they want me to go through dispute process which will take "up-to" 60 days.
I maxed my BB limit yesterday and wasn't able to load everything yesterday. So, crooks were able to get the money off my reload card b/c they had all 10 digits (at least i think thats what happened).
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by agoogilydoogily
They're having you fill out forms? What sort of forms?
I had a similar experience after the funds disappeared off the VR I bought with the 6-digit pin. Because the funds had been transferred off the card, InComm require a police report to substantiate the fraud so they can attempt to reverse the charge (with Visa who they stated process the actual transfer).

A police report which must be picked up in person from their record department. Serious joy!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by alik99
The crooks were able to get the funds off the ReLoad card and load them onto their card. So, the reload card that i got had nothing on it. Thats why they want me to go through dispute process which will take "up-to" 60 days.

Here's the curious thing about my case: the initial InComm rep I spoke to accessed the full pin and then supposedly transferred the funds to my Bluebird. He said he could see the initial $500 load and that the transfer would be fine. But the $500 never made it to my BB.

So...either he fat fingered my BB account number, he really didn't know what he was talking about, OR he funded someone else's account deliberately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.