Wiki Posts
Search

Vanilla reload broken PIN scam reports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: SPG Gold
its probably all over metro ATL now...
Old Mar 8, 2013, 4:39 pm

I posted over in the Walmart/Bluebird thread, but was directed over here, so will post here as well. I just bought a VR card at the CVS by Five Points. Tried to load it to BB within 10 minutes of purchasing. It got to the verify all information page and then gave the dreaded message that the VR network card had already been used. Called customer service and they said they would send a dispute package and that I should contact local law enforcement. Still haven't gotten the emailed dispute package. I guess I'll call them again tomorrow if I still don't have it.

I really think it's hilarious that they're telling people to call local LE. What on earth can local LE do that their own fraud department shouldn't already be doing?

EDIT TO ADD: Should note that all 10 digits of the PIN are on the card.

Last edited by Autolycus; Mar 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Autolycus
I posted over in the Walmart/Bluebird thread, but was directed over here, so will post here as well. I just bought a VR card at the CVS by Five Points. Tried to load it to BB within 10 minutes of purchasing. It got to the verify all information page and then gave the dreaded message that the VR network card had already been used. Called customer service and they said they would send a dispute package and that I should contact local law enforcement. Still haven't gotten the emailed dispute package. I guess I'll call them again tomorrow if I still don't have it.

I really think it's hilarious that they're telling people to call local LE. What on earth can local LE do that their own fraud department shouldn't already be doing?

This would put it in police records that the fund was stolen so quickly, someone might be an accomplice in the theft. Eventually there might be prosecution(s). We should not rule out the possibility that there are already law enforcement investigations.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
This would put it in police records that the fund was stolen so quickly, someone might be an accomplice in the theft. Eventually there might be prosecution(s). We should not rule out the possibility that there are already law enforcement investigations.
Sure, but my point was that they should have a fraud department that's already investigating the potential for an accomplice, etc. themselves. That fraud department should be in contact with local law enforcement and probably the FBI at this point, based on the number of these problems popping up. It's irresponsible for them to not.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:56 am

Saw some fresh stacks of VR this week at CVS. But the tampered ones are still out there. I found two tampered ones on the rack of CVS on Lawerenceville Highway and took it to the clerk and told them that they should take it off the rack. Even though it was obviously tampered with because of the scratch marks, the clerk said that it would be impossible to peel off the seal and put it back on... Walked out without buying anything.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pointsloop
Saw some fresh stacks of VR this week at CVS. But the tampered ones are still out there. I found two tampered ones on the rack of CVS on Lawerenceville Highway and took it to the clerk and told them that they should take it off the rack. Even though it was obviously tampered with because of the scratch marks, the clerk said that it would be impossible to peel off the seal and put it back on... Walked out without buying anything.

IF you were intending to buy one, then you could have scratched before purchase to see if any digits were missing. If missing, get others that looked tampered and continue until you found one that did not look tampered with (although someone up thread reported, all 10 digits on their card and still drained).

The manager would have probably gotten involved if you could showing missing digits.

I would not buy VR's in Atlanta, and def. not without removing the back before purchase. Also, you can load from standing at the register. Whomever is doing it (even within the 10 minute report), is getting instanteous access info. on loads. hmmmm.......
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, HH,
Originally Posted by shoreline
IF you were intending to buy one, then you could have scratched before purchase to see if any digits were missing. If missing, get others that looked tampered and continue until you found one that did not look tampered with (although someone up thread reported, all 10 digits on their card and still drained).

The manager would have probably gotten involved if you could showing missing digits.

I would not buy VR's in Atlanta, and def. not without removing the back before purchase. Also, you can load from standing at the register. Whomever is doing it (even within the 10 minute report), is getting instanteous access info. on loads. hmmmm.......
I have had a manager in atl flat out tell me he will not sell me a VR if I scratch off the pin before purchase. I ended up leaving.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by agoogilydoogily
I have had a manager in atl flat out tell me he will not sell me a VR if I scratch off the pin before purchase. I ended up leaving.
Gee, what a shock. Why would anyone take that position?

I ask to scratch off lottery tickets so I can make sure the numbers are all there before paying for them all the time - and the cashiers always let me.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:22 pm

On a lottery ticket, whatever numbers/hearts/etc exist underneath the scratchoff are "active" (potentially worth something) before purchase
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: Everything
I live in ATL and buy reloads 5-6 times a month. I've been scammed twice now so I always scratch off the number at the register before purchasing. Both times when I had problems, the codes were either completely or partially missing. Since I've started scratching off the coating, I've not had problems. I mostly buy at the new CVS across the street from the CDC.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM Reserve
Originally Posted by HeavenlyJane
I live in ATL and buy reloads 5-6 times a month. I've been scammed twice now so I always scratch off the number at the register before purchasing. Both times when I had problems, the codes were either completely or partially missing. Since I've started scratching off the coating, I've not had problems. I mostly buy at the new CVS across the street from the CDC.
Went there today and bought a pair successfully that loaded 10 minutes later. Saw at least 5 scam cards on the rack that had obviously been tampered with. A couple of them had lots of visible scrapes from a knife/razor. The crooks must have been high/drunk when they worked those cards.

I have thought about it for a while now, and I think there has to be someone on the inside at Incomm (or whoever prints their cards) that is part of this scam. I can see some cards getting jacked within 12-24 hours, but for funds to be gone within 10 minutes of someone loading to the card, it has to be a partial inside job, at the least. I'm sure Incomm has been tracking the IP addresses of the fraudulent loads, so hopefully there will be an AJC article about the fraudsters' arrests soon.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Would be nice to see how this all shakes out. Nice little fraud scheme going on.

Originally Posted by ATL787
Went there today and bought a pair successfully that loaded 10 minutes later. Saw at least 5 scam cards on the rack that had obviously been tampered with. A couple of them had lots of visible scrapes from a knife/razor. The crooks must have been high/drunk when they worked those cards.

I have thought about it for a while now, and I think there has to be someone on the inside at Incomm (or whoever prints their cards) that is part of this scam. I can see some cards getting jacked within 12-24 hours, but for funds to be gone within 10 minutes of someone loading to the card, it has to be a partial inside job, at the least. I'm sure Incomm has been tracking the IP addresses of the fraudulent loads, so hopefully there will be an AJC article about the fraudsters' arrests soon.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 5:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Autolycus

this is the first time I am seeing that all 10 digits were present on the card and funds were gone... Are you sure that the card wasn't just properly activated?
All other cards had PIN partially erased.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:04 am

with a "simple" 10-digit pin, wouldn't it be easy enough to have some computer run a script and attempt to continuously load random 10-digit pins to a particular card?

This could explain the "10 digits still visible" part of the scam. I do realize this would be easy to track, as all the attempted loads would go to a single card. Even if the scammers had 100 cards, it seems easy to track.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:52 am

Resolved

Originally Posted by alik99
Is this still going on or you got it resolved?
which police station did you go to?
Sorry for the delayed response.

I filed the police report at the station in Buckhead (3120 Maple Dr NE). I am pretty sure the officer googled the scam/fraud and found this thread based on some of his responses!

So after finally submitting the paperwork, the case has been resolved and Cheryl supplied a new PIN number that I've successfully used to load the $500 to my BB account. It only took 2 days from the time I faxed the paperwork! I was fearing much worse!

Edited to add: If anyone is having trouble with the fax number to send the paperwork that is on the dispute resolution form, I have an alternate number that worked fine. PM me if needed.

Last edited by PacificTwo; Mar 11, 2013 at 10:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.