Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Momentum visa prepaid debit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:58 am

I have the black card -- have had for a year or so. $10/month. $1,000 VR reload per day and $2,500 per month. So, basically, for VRs it's $30 per month ($20 VR fees and $10 momentum fees) for $2500 in spend. This is a small scale deal and obviously doesn't make much sense if you're only getting 1 point per dollar. I use it exclusively for sign up bonuses. It sits in a drawer until I need to get beans faster than BB allows. If you let it sit inactive, you get hit with the $10 fee as soon as you load, but it doesn't deduct for prior months.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by edbyu
This is a prepaid debit card. What's wrong about doing a CA ($2 fee) or buying MO or any of the other MS tactics talked about ad nauseam in this forum?

The above options would obviously require moving it out of the "savings" account and into the "checking" account.
Well an ACH transfer would be free, and I can already do MO w/out this card. But I get your point. ATM@$500- fee $2 is acceptable to me. I don't like hassle of cash advances.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:06 pm

I have the blue card. The load limits are not what you have described. They are significantly better. I did 4 beans today, and 8 in the last week and a half. Maybe the limits doubled?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 5:47 pm

Anybody try signing up for a blue card after getting a black one? I'll be out of town on Friday but near the area where I originally signed up at, I don't know if I'll have time to spend experimenting though.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I have the blue card. The load limits are not what you have described. They are significantly better. I did 4 beans today, and 8 in the last week and a half. Maybe the limits doubled?
Not for the black, at least, not for mine. I hit $2500 for the month today and that was that. I may try in another couple days.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sound48
You could try the pay as you go plan? I've done that and had no problems.
Anyone had experience with getting one card type and switching to the other? For example, I have the black card and I want to switch to the blue. I'm not sure this would be worth a $10 monthly fee.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:01 pm

I have a MM close to me so I may stop by to pick one up. Do you get to choose between the blue and black when applying and is there a general concensus on which card would is better?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:13 pm

My info on the card:

Just picked up a blue card today. The lady at the Money Mart said they phasing out the black version and replacing it with a green version. The green version, from my recollection, sounded the same as the black, just merely a different color.

I was told that the max amount that could be on the blue card was $10k in the checking side, plus $5k for the savings account for a total of $15k. I took that to mean (but didn't verify) that I could load $10k/month onto the card, assuming my balance was $0 when I started. I went with the $10/month flat fee option. Only needed $20, my drivers license, and SS# to get started. I've registered my card online and have looked at the bill pay, but I don't see any credit card companies listed, nor do I see any way to ACH at this point. I was given a temporary blue card and should receive the permanent card with my name on it in a week or so.

My 2 cents on this one are: Load limits look appealing for VR's, but I'm unsure how to get the money out of the account except for overpaying bills or using an ATM.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bucko
My info on the card:

Just picked up a blue card today. The lady at the Money Mart said they phasing out the black version and replacing it with a green version. The green version, from my recollection, sounded the same as the black, just merely a different color.

I was told that the max amount that could be on the blue card was $10k in the checking side, plus $5k for the savings account for a total of $15k. I took that to mean (but didn't verify) that I could load $10k/month onto the card, assuming my balance was $0 when I started. I went with the $10/month flat fee option. Only needed $20, my drivers license, and SS# to get started. I've registered my card online and have looked at the bill pay, but I don't see any credit card companies listed, nor do I see any way to ACH at this point. I was given a temporary blue card and should receive the permanent card with my name on it in a week or so.

My 2 cents on this one are: Load limits look appealing for VR's, but I'm unsure how to get the money out of the account except for overpaying bills or using an ATM.
Loaded another 1k today, appeared to be a 2k limit for 24 hr period.
Maybe one could do a cash advance, or MO etc. This is beginning to look like a MVD shutdown waiting to happen.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Just picked up a "green" (it's physically green) card at MoneyMart in Philly.

The "application" (one page of a trifold brochure) had a check box to select "flat fee" or "pay as you go." On the back, there's a picture of a physically blue (I'm saying "physically" to distinguish the metaphysical "blue" and "black" cards discussed above in this thread, which no one has linked to any pictures of) card above "flat fee" and physically green card above "pay as you go."

Underneath the information about each card is a single space headed "card limits," suggesting that the blue and green cards have the same card limits.

The temporary, green, card they gave me at MoneyMart does not have my name on it. It says "preferred customer."

Any questions?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Did the CVS at the corner have any VR?
The 40 times or so I'v been in there always an empty slot.

Originally Posted by sgideons
Just picked up a "green" (it's physically green) card at MoneyMart in Philly.

The "application" (one page of a trifold brochure) had a check box to select "flat fee" or "pay as you go." On the back, there's a picture of a physically blue (I'm saying "physically" to distinguish the metaphysical "blue" and "black" cards discussed above in this thread, which no one has linked to any pictures of) card above "flat fee" and physically green card above "pay as you go."

Underneath the information about each card is a single space headed "card limits," suggesting that the blue and green cards have the same card limits.

The temporary, green, card they gave me at MoneyMart does not have my name on it. It says "preferred customer."

Any questions?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, the rest come and go
Originally Posted by vodkashine
Did the CVS at the corner have any VR?
The 40 times or so I'v been in there always an empty slot.
Hah I can't deny it occurred to me to pop in, as long as I was there. But I didn't want to throw up a fraud alert, and I already have VR with me.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by sgideons
Hah I can't deny it occurred to me to pop in, as long as I was there. But I didn't want to throw up a fraud alert, and I already have VR with me.
I've gotten VR there. It's not a usual spot for me though.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:44 am

Has anybody with the green card been able to move money to the momentum saving's account?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by MountainManDuy
Has anybody with the green card been able to move money to the momentum saving's account?
Looks like you can't. I got the blue card and couldn't get any money moved to the savings account. It kept saying I had an "error" when trying to enroll in savings.

So I called them (using my one free call per month!) and they told me that while the "old" cards have the savings account, these cards don't support the savings account feature yet, but they plan on adding it "eventually" -- I asked if it was because I had the blue card, and she said she understood that neither of the new card varieties had the savings feature.

So now I've got a whole bunch of money on the card and will have to either pull it out by ATM ($2 fee, $1k per day), or I guess money order?

Also, CSR said I'd be charged $2 per VR load, so I agreed to switch to the monthly plan to avoid that, for now. This stinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.