Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uncommonsensical
“My Vanilla Personal Reloadable Prepaid Debit Visa card”
https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com

FAQs: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/myvanilla/faq.html
T&C: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...Policy_ENG.pdf
Fees: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...RhFOmbp3hiKogJ

There isn't a bill pay function with MVD.

How do I load funds onto MVD? There are two primary ways to load funds onto your MyVanilla Card: 1) Direct Deposit (direct deposit all or part of your paycheck, social security, even your tax return refund right onto your MyVanilla Card); 2) At any Vanilla Reload Network retailer; just bring your Card and the amount you want to load onto your Card - Note: This can be either purchasing a Vanilla Reload card or possibly using a retailer with loading function on the cash register such as CVS. $3.95 fee applies to both methods.

CVS Credit Card Load Data Points:
Credit Cards used treated as a purchase:
FIA Fidelity Amex

Credit Cards used treated as a cash advance:
??

What is the load limit? You can load a maximum of $500.00 per day onto your Card, and there is a $2,500.00 total maximum deposit limit per day from all deposit sources (loads and ACH direct deposits). The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $400.00. The daily Cash Advance or "Over the Counter" limit at a bank is reported as $2,500.00/day. Some reports that this is actually / month. Maximum loaded amount on MVD card is $9,999.

If you can find Vanilla Reload cards that you can purchase with a credit card, max out by getting up to 3 registered MyVanilla Debit cards and you can load up to $2500 x 3 per day. And if you have a bank near you that will give you cash advances, you can take the full balance off each card for a $1.95 cent fee.
If you do not have Vanilla Reloads available near you, you want to find a bank that will allow you to cash out temporary cards. These are the ones you buy at CVS for $500 plus $3.95 fee and then cash them out en masse for a 50 cash advance fee apiece.
In Essence
Get new cards, spend some random amount and then get put in shutdown mode to spend off what is left, unless you utilize one old weird trick that prevents shutdown mode.

Liquidating a shut down account as of 3.31.2014
Various reports, and I can also confirm- If you receive the "invalid username or password" message when trying to access your account online, that's the indicator that you have been shut down. Check again for a day or so (just to make sure it wasn't an issue with their website). If still unable to access- you've been shut down.

If you don't want to call and talk to them, you can confirm yourself whether your account is still alive to liquidate by calling 855.686.9513. If you are able to hear your balance, you can liquidate- and you can liquidate quickly without any problem. I liquidated $8,200 over the weekend: 5k Saturday, the remainder Sunday (Walmart BillPay and MO).
Print Wikipost

My Vanilla debit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by mooper
Will you let me hold onto your money for nothing? You can earn money on the float - rates aren't at 0% - but again, the fees are the bigger part for MVD.

I haven't seen anyone who deposits, let's the money sit, never withdraws over $2K nor more than once per month, and mixed in some fee-generating "normal" debit transactions report having been shut down. Have you?

It boils down to this: MVD will shut you down if they deem you unprofitable. Make it profitable for them and you're more likely to be okay.
yes, there are numerous people on here who have been shut down. i've had the odd pm discussion with some folks who think they are flying under the radar but i think it is more pure luck than what they are doing.

you are ignoring the business cost of storing money. it's not free. that's why banks like wf are actually charging some people to hold deposits. look you can think what you want but i work in the business and know enough that nobody makes any profit whatsoever on float. you can keep believing it if it makes you feel better.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
yes, there are numerous people on here who have been shut down. i've had the odd pm discussion with some folks who think they are flying under the radar but i think it is more pure luck than what they are doing.
I never said that people aren't shut down. I said that I haven't seen anyone following the set of protocols I outlined reporting shut-downs. Some who follow portions of it have been, but I haven't seen anyone following all aspects reporting a ban. That doesn't mean they don't exist; I just haven't seen one. Can you cite a couple examples to the contrary?

you are ignoring the business cost of storing money. it's not free. that's why banks like wf are actually charging some people to hold deposits. look you can think what you want but i work in the business and know enough that nobody makes any profit whatsoever on float. you can keep believing it if it makes you feel better.
No, I am not. All I said is that you can make money (generate revenues) off the float. That doesn't mean there's no overhead, that you can be profitable from the float alone, nor that transaction fees aren't more lucrative. I was merely disputing the false assertion that $0 is all you can generate from sitting on a large pot of money. Rates are low, but investment opportunities for cash aren't negligible.

All else being equal, allowing a few thousand to sit in your MVD account is more appealing to them than having nothing in there. Not only can they make a tiny return on it, but it is also money that has a certain abandonment rate (i.e., it's theirs until you take it back).

Last edited by mooper; Jan 24, 2014 at 8:45 pm
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo
yes you can.

when i was a wee lad my momma told me a fact that drain cleaner is poison and offered her conclusion that i should not drink it.
although i had no familiarity with drain cleaner or poison, i opted to accept the factual basis for her conclusion at face value and also accepted her conclusion.
its a good thing I did not take your advice because if i disregarded her factual basis or conclusion, i would not be here today!
as you can see your advice can be deadly I would advise you to stop telling people not to trust other's factual basis at face value unless you are truly trying to cause them harm.
Sometimes your stories are silly, If You do not understand the context smart thing for U to do is move on. U don't have to comment to every post!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by prasha11
...U don't have to comment to every post!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Seems the second $500 is tripping everyone up. Anyone getting hit after loading just 1 VR?
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:28 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:20 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:31 am

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 29, 2014 at 11:20 pm
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by MsArbi
Nope. I loaded a couple of cards with 2x500 back to back earlier this week and let them sit. No reaction so far.
More useless speculation on my part but if the shutdowns are manual maybe an analyst is pulling a report everyday and only makes it so far down the list flagging suspect accounts. Next day, pull another report since more people have reloaded in the preceding x hours. If this is what's happening then I guess it depends what field they are sorting on everyday is it account #, last name etc. Someone could be near the bottom of the list everyday and survive.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Seems the second $500 is tripping everyone up. Anyone getting hit after loading just 1 VR?
I often load (as recently as today) several VRs at once - no problems yet. But I leave the $ there for at least a week and I do at least one "normal" fee-generating transaction in the meantime.

It's not enough to gauge the line between profitable and not. If you look at the unlimited transaction prepaid cards, the typical monthly fee is in the $5-10 range. That suggests at least a break-even point at that range.
I agree with that reasoning.

But one of my MVDs with 20 transactions a month (total fee of $10) was shut down alongside another MVD with just 4 transactions a month, both at the same volume of 10k. But other MVDs with lower volume are still open. So, there are other factors at play besides profitability. They seem to be looking at volume, speed of load and unload, closeness to daily/monthly/annual limits, and probably the size of each transaction. And right now they are trigger happy.
I agree with some of this, too. They certainly look at limits. It seems that keeping CAs to $2K or less helps, as does staying within their published limits.

But when you say that your card with $10 in fees was shut down... could it be that your other card was unprofitable to them and put you on the radar? Were you making fee-generating transactions *other than* loading/unloading on that second card? If not, probably not enough for them to deem profitable. Even with your first card (with the $10 in fees), you shouldn't just look at the fees alone. If you were exclusively loading/unloading large amounts, they also see you as a greater fraud risk, so while $10 in fees might be great for someone doing it by purchasing milk, they don't consider it enough to want to keep doing business with someone purely loading/unloading.

It boils down to this... putting aside guesses about what they actually seek, the data points we've seen here suggest that if you don't exceed $2K per CA, if you leave loaded money in for a bit, and if you mix in some "regular" fee-generating transactions, you'll be okay. Start doing $8K/month, skip the regular transactions, load/unload with little delay, violate published limits, or move outside the box in any other way (including with another card under the same SSN) and you're much more likely to get cut off.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Slickw
More useless speculation on my part but if the shutdowns are manual maybe an analyst is pulling a report everyday and only makes it so far down the list flagging suspect accounts. Next day, pull another report since more people have reloaded in the preceding x hours. If this is what's happening then I guess it depends what field they are sorting on everyday is it account #, last name etc. Someone could be near the bottom of the list everyday and survive.
It would be needlessly inefficient to have someone manually review. It's easy to write a script that says, "here are the things we don't like"... run tests for them, set aside accounts that fail. Then, say, "we like these things (fees)"... run tests for them, exempt accounts that pass. Any accounts remaining get flagged.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:42 am

Right ^ ............

I send invitation for tea, some don't show up
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:12 am

It boils down to this... putting aside guesses about what they actually seek, the data points we've seen here suggest that if you don't exceed $2K per CA, if you leave loaded money in for a bit, and if you mix in some "regular" fee-generating transactions, you'll be okay. Start doing $8K/month, skip the regular transactions, load/unload with little delay, violate published limits, or move outside the box in any other way (including with another card under the same SSN) and you're much more likely to get cut off.
If they keep cutting off/shutting down because they don't make enough fees, soon there would be none left to make any fees!

Are they shutting (shooting ) themselves?

The writing is on the wall, may choose to ignore.

If U don't jump U will sink with MVD boat!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
If they keep cutting off/shutting down because they don't make enough fees, soon there would be none left to make any fees!
How so if they shut down just the accounts they deem unprofitable? There are plenty of people who ring up lots of fees, and there are MSers like me that are generating decent fees for them but still winding up ahead in the MS game.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Mooper - I don't think it is safe to assume they are smart and organized. Very little evidence of that. So many simple ways to manage or stop MS that they haven't adopted.

I share SlickW's conclusion. Far too many inconsistencies for this to be a script.

It would be needlessly inefficient to have someone manually review. It's easy to write a script that says, "here are the things we don't like"... run tests for them, set aside accounts that fail. Then, say, "we like these things (fees)"... run tests for them, exempt accounts that pass. Any accounts remaining get flagged.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by craz
I simply believe its all blind luck if you are still able to use your MVDs, unless you load and unload as they intended folks to, that means no CAing for anything over $100 tons of transactions for small amounts yielding tons of fees for MVD. and no MOing for large amounts and loading cards for way < $500

It was very nice while it lasted, best of luck to those who are still able to play the game with MVD

IMO not worth it as GCs and Wally will be a cheaper way over VRs, except if loading to a BB
Well, I thought I had an algorithm that was keeping me under the radar for my 3 MVDs, which mostly involved never doing immediate load/unload, letting the cards sit for a while with money on them, sit for a while after money unloaded from them, and never loading them to the max in a day, and never unloading more than half the balance at a time. Included several normal spend swipes between each load/unload as well. Didn't matter. Yesterday all 3 went into spend down mode, and I haven't done anything different whatsoever.

I haven't seen anyone who deposits, let's the money sit, never withdraws over $2K nor more than once per month, and mixed in some fee-generating "normal" debit transactions report having been shut down. Have you?

It boils down to this: MVD will shut you down if they deem you unprofitable. Make it profitable for them and you're more likely to be okay.
Well, here's an official data point: I've been doing just what you state for well over a year on 3 different cards. Yesterday all 3 got busted. Actually, I guess I recycled more than once a month (but hardly ever more than twice a month), but heck - if you can only do $2K a month on these cards, including letting the money sit there all month, then what's the point? There are too many other superior MS alternatives if that's all the MVDs are good for.

Yep. In fact, I'm someone who has had an odd pm discussion with ma91mph, stating that I thought I had figured out what the MVD bots were programmed to look for. no dice. MS via MVD is a slot machine, and when your time is up, you're done.

I have no complaints. I generated plenty of MS while the party lasted, and frankly, I'm grateful they allow a spend down mode. We can both shake hands and part as friends. It's better than the $6K I'm waiting on ("allow up to 20 business days") for another program that I got shut down on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.