Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uncommonsensical
“My Vanilla Personal Reloadable Prepaid Debit Visa card”
https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com

FAQs: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/myvanilla/faq.html
T&C: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...Policy_ENG.pdf
Fees: https://www.myvanilladebitcard.com/m...RhFOmbp3hiKogJ

There isn't a bill pay function with MVD.

How do I load funds onto MVD? There are two primary ways to load funds onto your MyVanilla Card: 1) Direct Deposit (direct deposit all or part of your paycheck, social security, even your tax return refund right onto your MyVanilla Card); 2) At any Vanilla Reload Network retailer; just bring your Card and the amount you want to load onto your Card - Note: This can be either purchasing a Vanilla Reload card or possibly using a retailer with loading function on the cash register such as CVS. $3.95 fee applies to both methods.

CVS Credit Card Load Data Points:
Credit Cards used treated as a purchase:
FIA Fidelity Amex

Credit Cards used treated as a cash advance:
??

What is the load limit? You can load a maximum of $500.00 per day onto your Card, and there is a $2,500.00 total maximum deposit limit per day from all deposit sources (loads and ACH direct deposits). The daily ATM withdrawal limit is $400.00. The daily Cash Advance or "Over the Counter" limit at a bank is reported as $2,500.00/day. Some reports that this is actually / month. Maximum loaded amount on MVD card is $9,999.

If you can find Vanilla Reload cards that you can purchase with a credit card, max out by getting up to 3 registered MyVanilla Debit cards and you can load up to $2500 x 3 per day. And if you have a bank near you that will give you cash advances, you can take the full balance off each card for a $1.95 cent fee.
If you do not have Vanilla Reloads available near you, you want to find a bank that will allow you to cash out temporary cards. These are the ones you buy at CVS for $500 plus $3.95 fee and then cash them out en masse for a 50 cash advance fee apiece.
In Essence
Get new cards, spend some random amount and then get put in shutdown mode to spend off what is left, unless you utilize one old weird trick that prevents shutdown mode.

Liquidating a shut down account as of 3.31.2014
Various reports, and I can also confirm- If you receive the "invalid username or password" message when trying to access your account online, that's the indicator that you have been shut down. Check again for a day or so (just to make sure it wasn't an issue with their website). If still unable to access- you've been shut down.

If you don't want to call and talk to them, you can confirm yourself whether your account is still alive to liquidate by calling 855.686.9513. If you are able to hear your balance, you can liquidate- and you can liquidate quickly without any problem. I liquidated $8,200 over the weekend: 5k Saturday, the remainder Sunday (Walmart BillPay and MO).
Print Wikipost

My Vanilla debit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:37 pm

i rolled the dice and threw craps today. had a MVD with $1k sitting on it (from weeks ago). loaded 2x$500 back to back and immediately went to the bank and CAed all but $2.00 (so $0.05 would be left after the fee). Boom! Spend down. My other two cards are still active. I have been loading and CAing despite everyone's warnings. I now believe the rapid loading is the canary in the coal mine for Incomm.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:49 pm

Yeah it was 5/3 and no I don't bank with them. Maybe just standard operating procedure there.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by busymike
5/3 Bank asks me for my occupation on occasion. They tell me it automatically pops up in their system. I suspect it is just to verify that you are the one depositing into your account. I don't think it is SAR. I do CA there weekly, and they are always cheerful. I asked the branch manager point blank if my "strange CAs" cause them problems - he said "no, we actually do 6-10 CA transactions each week."
I got the same at 5/3 - but only at 1 particular branch and never the other. I wonder if other branch just never bothered to fill it in when it popped up.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:18 pm

i rolled the dice and threw craps today. had a MVD with $1k sitting on it (from weeks ago). loaded 2x$500 back to back and immediately went to the bank and CAed all but $2.00 (so $0.05 would be left after the fee). Boom! Spend down. My other two cards are still active. I have been loading and CAing despite everyone's warnings. I now believe the rapid loading is the canary in the coal mine for Incomm.
I tend to agree. I had two cards nixxed after $1K loads (back to back), then letting it sit for 2-3 days, then an approximately $1K purchase at WM. Was "only" doing $1K/week. Lasted barely 4 weeks. Never did a CA. Thought CA was the no-no, but apparently not.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:32 pm

I've had this card for five months and I'm still going strong. I load an average of $4k per month, with the most being $5k for one month, and I use it to buy MO's or do BP at WM. When I do MO I just make it a random amount, for BP I'll just use 3 VGC's first then swipe the MVD last so that I can use more than $500 on that.

I've never done a CA and I wouldn't considering everything that I've read in this topic. An extra $4k per month is a nice alternative to BB.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Dave4086
I've had one card that has been pretty dormant for months. I loaded $2k this month and cash advanced all but 20 bucks out... now I'm in spend down status.

I guess we already knew they didn't like cash advances, but this was a pretty quick shutdown.
i rolled the dice and threw craps today. had a MVD with $1k sitting on it (from weeks ago). loaded 2x$500 back to back and immediately went to the bank and CAed all but $2.00 (so $0.05 would be left after the fee). Boom! Spend down.
Did either of you make one or more "regular" fee-generating transactions with it, or just load and cash out?

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
prasha is right it's a complete fallacy to think banks make money on float today. they need fees, not float
Escrow services wouldn't exist if you couldn't make $ on float. What you mean is that profits on the float are minimal today, not negligible. You're correct that the fees likely make them the most, but someone sitting on, say $3K for 30 days does generate something for them. But the point remains, they're more likely to tolerate you if you generate a fee here and there.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Rooks
I've had this card for five months and I'm still going strong. I load an average of $4k per month, with the most being $5k for one month, and I use it to buy MO's or do BP at WM. When I do MO I just make it a random amount, for BP I'll just use 3 VGC's first then swipe the MVD last so that I can use more than $500 on that.

I've never done a CA and I wouldn't considering everything that I've read in this topic. An extra $4k per month is a nice alternative to BB.
I like the idea of random amount. How many times a month do you buy MO or do BP?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
Did either of you make one or more "regular" fee-generating transactions with it, or just load and cash out?

Escrow services wouldn't exist if you couldn't make $ on float. What you mean is that profits on the float are minimal today, not negligible. You're correct that the fees likely make them the most, but someone sitting on, say $3K for 30 days does generate something for them. But the point remains, they're more likely to tolerate you if you generate a fee here and there.
One of the things to learn is never take the factual basis for someone else’s conclusions at face value.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

prasha is right it's a complete fallacy to think banks make money on float today. they need fees, not float
Totally agree. The rates simply are too low that the spread is just enough to cover the operating cost and some crumbs.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:31 am

Data point. 3 cards. Loaded $1K on one, and $1K on another and then lost account access online to two cards. From reading, appears spend down mode as i can get a balance on phone when I call. Will CA or MO later today. Other card I have access online but shows inactive. Is the "inactive" card spend down? or Do I need to call to be able to drain that one?

Should also add all are pretty new and I've done mix of CA and MO on cards. Think it was the rapid load across two cards that did it. Who knows.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by newbynewbynew
Data point. 3 cards. Loaded $1K on one, and $1K on another and then lost account access online to two cards. From reading, appears spend down mode as i can get a balance on phone when I call. Will CA or MO later today. Other card I have access online but shows inactive. Is the "inactive" card spend down? or Do I need to call to be able to drain that one?

Should also add all are pretty new and I've done mix of CA and MO on cards. Think it was the rapid load across two cards that did it. Who knows.
Did you make any fee-generating "normal" debit transactions on them along the way, or just load/unload exclusively?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:30 am

Did you make any fee-generating "normal" debit transactions on them along the way, or just load/unload exclusively?
Card that is inactive - none

Other two - yes, probably 2-3 on each.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: A few

No I mean what I say. I use escrow services in various business and now you have to pay for them, often substantial amounts. There is no money in float.

And there remains no evidence that a fee here or there makes you any more tolerable on any of these tricks we play.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:56 am
Suspended

My own 3 were all shut down. I still had 2 from a family member #4 & #5. #5 I used the temp card as the reg card arrived the day after I left. Did a $2k MO days ago on #4 <$500 left on it. Activated #5 reg card on Weds loaded $2500 to it yesterday. Cant log in to either online, never did any CAing as Im not the person whose name is on the card so the bank wont take it. #4 was loaded for $20k and #5 $10k in total.

I simply believe its all blind luck if you are still able to use your MVDs, unless you load and unload as they intended folks to, that means no CAing for anything over $100 tons of transactions for small amounts yielding tons of fees for MVD. and no MOing for large amounts and loading cards for way < $500

It was very nice while it lasted, best of luck to those who are still able to play the game with MVD

IMO not worth it as GCs and Wally will be a cheaper way over VRs, except if loading to a BB
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:32 pm

No I mean what I say. I use escrow services in various business and now you have to pay for them, often substantial amounts. There is no money in float.

And there remains no evidence that a fee here or there makes you any more tolerable on any of these tricks we play.
Will you let me hold onto your money for nothing? You can earn money on the float - rates aren't at 0% - but again, the fees are the bigger part for MVD.

I haven't seen anyone who deposits, let's the money sit, never withdraws over $2K nor more than once per month, and mixed in some fee-generating "normal" debit transactions report having been shut down. Have you?

It boils down to this: MVD will shut you down if they deem you unprofitable. Make it profitable for them and you're more likely to be okay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.