Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Chase Gift Cards:
GAME OVER

We’re sorry, but we no longer offer Chase Gift Cards.

We will continue to honor current Chase Gift Cards. If you have a Chase Gift Card, you may continue to use it until the funds are depleted or upon card expiration.
If your existing Chase Gift Card has been damaged, lost or stolen, you can redeem the balance or get a replacement Card by calling us at
1-866-466-0079, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Use that number if you have questions about your existing Chase Gift Card.

www.chasewebgiftpurchase.com/index.cfm - [No longer working]

https://www.chase.com/online/Checking/gift-card.htm/ [No longer working as of 9/20/13]

$500 max value per card

Can be used as debit
Call # on card to set pin

There are some limitations to using gift cards as opposed to debit cards, but these are functioning very well as debit cards. So please follow the number one rule of manufactured spend: DON"T CALL THE BANKS.
Print Wikipost

Chase Gift Cards [Ending: 9.22.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by smitty06
I think that it is well documented that Citi will charge cash advance fees for transactions with financial institutions. What folks are saying here is that the Chase gift card website requires that you use a chase card to check out. I am not sure how you were able to use a different card. You will find that people on Flyertalk get frustrated when someone is new(ish) to the game and tries one of the techniques without doing their due diligence and then gets upset when it doesn't work. Spend some time reading flyer talk and you too will start to understand the people who are flaming the newbies (even if they are sometimes a bit harsh)
This isn't flaming the newbies, we have people come on FT and want us to TELL THEM what to do, they need to read the threads, and ASK question once they have read the threads. Like the person who used "citi" cards to by Chase GC, really, aren't they speical...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:37 am

Brought 3 CGCs to Walmart this morning.

Loaded 1 into BB via kiosk just fine (takes forever, but it usually works).

Tried to split payment a $1000 MO (planned to pay the $0.70 w/ cash). First card took two attempts, but worked and brought balance down to $500.70. Second card rejected and popped up a big red box with lots of text on cashier's screen. Tried multiple times and kept giving us "alternate payment" errors. Assistant manager had to come over and cancel the transaction. A little panicked that one card went through, I checked balances on my phone right there and amounts were intact, $500.

I asked to do two $500 MOs instead (again, planning to pay the $0.70 w/ cash), swiped the first card and now this one is popping up "alternate payment" needed. The cashier had attitude from the very beginning, so I decided to call it quits.

Advice/thoughts? Does planning to pay cash for the $0.70 make it a 3-way split payment and mess up the transaction? Is $999.30 better?

Edit: Should also mention that both MO transaction cards are activated, confirmed by checking the balance/status online: "Status: ACTIVE"
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by KCKC
Brought 3 CGCs to Walmart this morning.

Loaded 1 into BB via kiosk just fine (takes forever, but it usually works).

Tried to split payment a $1000 MO (planned to pay the $0.70 w/ cash). First card took two attempts, but worked and brought balance down to $500.70. Second card rejected and popped up a big red box with lots of text on cashier's screen. Tried multiple times and kept giving us "alternate payment" errors. Assistant manager had to come over and cancel the transaction. A little panicked that one card went through, I checked balances on my phone right there and amounts were intact, $500.

I asked to do two $500 MOs instead (again, planning to pay the $0.70 w/ cash), swiped the first card and now this one is popping up "alternate payment" needed. The cashier had attitude from the very beginning, so I decided to call it quits.

Advice/thoughts? Does planning to pay cash for the $0.70 make it a 3-way split payment and mess up the transaction? Is $999.30 better?

Edit: Should also mention that both MO transaction cards are activated, confirmed by checking the balance/status online: "Status: ACTIVE"
Pay the $0.70 first-- it's just less confusing. On numerous occasions I've run up against them trying to use debit for the remaining balance ($500.70) and of course the process gets declined.
They have to specifically key in $500, leaving the $0.70 still outstanding, or they can hit the button for full balance (or whatever), and often do the latter.
Paying the fee up-front removes it from the balance at the outset and the debit transactions then aren't as messy (i.e. dependent on the cashier finesse).

Edit: by paying first, I also recommend do so with exact change! Dummy proof the process!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:10 am

I just do a MO for 999.30 so that the total with fee is 1K
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
You are a speical person, since you can only buy CHase GC with a Chase CC... Why do people play silly games!
I think he was being sarcastic or at least I hope he is lol
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by PtsJunkieWI
Pay the $0.70 first-- it's just less confusing. On numerous occasions I've run up against them trying to use debit for the remaining balance ($500.70) and of course the process gets declined.
They have to specifically key in $500, leaving the $0.70 still outstanding, or they can hit the button for full balance (or whatever), and often do the latter.
Paying the fee up-front removes it from the balance at the outset and the debit transactions then aren't as messy (i.e. dependent on the cashier finesse).

Edit: by paying first, I also recommend do so with exact change! Dummy proof the process!
This is very helpful. Thank you. Seems to explain why some of my transactions were getting declined. Sadly, I don't think my cashier today has ever had finesse in anything.

Maybe in the future I should just go for a $999.30 MO with split payment...2 swipes would cover it all without these embarrassing declines, right?

Edit: Just saw your post, cyclotron. Thanks to you both, you and PtsJunkieWI.

Last edited by KCKC; Aug 19, 2013 at 8:22 am
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by cyclotron
"Can I have two money orders for $999.30 each please? thank you. I would like to split the payment across 4 debit cards, is that ok? thanks, 1 $500 approved, 2 $500 approved, 3 $500 approved, 4 $500 approved. thanks again and have a great day!"

That is how mine goes each time
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
That's been my practice as well. I find that introducing unnecessary complications into any transaction with a Walmart clerk is asking for trouble.

Andyandy
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
"Can I have two money orders for $999.30 each please? thank you. I would like to split the payment across 4 debit cards, is that ok? thanks, 1 $500 approved, 2 $500 approved, 3 $500 approved, 4 $500 approved. thanks again and have a great day!"

+1 on this. It's the easiest for the employee, and easiest for me as I don't have to scrounge around for exactly $0.70 or $1.40, etc...sure we'd like nice round $1K MOs but it doesn't really matter...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:43 am

This isn't flaming the newbies, we have people come on FT and want us to TELL THEM what to do, they need to read the threads, and ASK question once they have read the threads.
But I want to boot some head now!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh

As easy as, 1 MO for $1000. My debit cards have a $500 limit so I'll swipe twice and give you the $0.70 in cash.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eloraculo
As easy as, 1 MO for $1000. My debit cards have a $500 limit so I'll swipe twice and give you the $0.70 in cash.
thats what I used to do, but even that they couldnt get right and the 2nd swipe was Denied since it was for $500.70. Giving them the .70 1st , takes care of the problem
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by eloraculo
'cept that only gets rid of $1k not $2k
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Seventy cents - what a ripoff! We pay $.68 -.69 in Texas for our paper products.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:27 pm

THe answer is in this thread, educate yourself on this game.
The answers are mixed regarding cash-out success, and my own experience suggests trouble getting cashback at supermarkets and money orders at USPS. Most stores in my area don't sell money orders. Walmart is too far away. The best option for me is USPS -- low cash-out cost and no driving.

Last edited by st.exupery; Aug 19, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.