Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
The real bummer is the $5K load limit per BB per month. 14 beans will last at least 32 days at a minimum to convert.
Actually, not true if you are doing more than just bluebird. I loaded $1.5k onto one of my Amex Prepaids already, loaded another $1k onto Bluebird. I will load the rest over the next 5 days to load a total of $5k onto Bluebird and the other $500 onto my wife's AMEX Prepaid.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
The real bummer is the $5K load limit per BB per month. 14 beans will last at least 32 days at a minimum to convert.
Depends what day of the month you purchase them and how many BBs you have.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:30 pm

Seems like there might be changes in store for the Bluebird? Check out www.bluebirdmoney.com

Apologies if there has already been mention of this, but I couldn't find it in the last few pages.

--Whoops sorry. Please disregard folks. Looks like this isn't new and was discussed a long time ago.

Sorry
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:03 pm

I'm going today either my property tax or mortgage in 1 month using BB but there are things I'm uncertain about. My mortgage is with Wells, which is on their list of billers. I think LA County is also on that list. My question is, even with electronic billing, how does the recipient (lender, county, etc) know the check is yours (if you have a common name)? Does BB allow you to enter your account number or home address?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
I get nervous after buying 2 beans....how in the heck are you guys pulling of 14 at one go the local OD's in Northern VA are all dried up so ive just been buying regular Bean GC's but even still anytime im buying more than one i get grilled about it
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: As many as I can!
Originally Posted by Aerosfire
Let's take it easy on discussion of new stores. There is plenty of info in here already. All we need is for MMS and his ilk to completely kill this before it really gets started.
I just got back from 2 Office Depots and they were stocked to the brim with Vanilla Reloads. They even took credit card!

But I'll take your advice and keep it on the down-low lest the scoundrel pilfers it yet again.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm going today either my property tax or mortgage in 1 month using BB but there are things I'm uncertain about. My mortgage is with Wells, which is on their list of billers. I think LA County is also on that list. My question is, even with electronic billing, how does the recipient (lender, county, etc) know the check is yours (if you have a common name)? Does BB allow you to enter your account number or home address?
You can add an acct number. For your taxes, add the parcel number instead

Or have the check made out to the taxation office (city or county clerk I assume) and have it sent to your address, then hand deliver it.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
Mine does that too. They get a message on the cash register for any gift card over $100. They also have a policy to have a manager approve it.
Have you been able to listen to the call?

I guess what I don't want them telling Chase what you are buying.

Then again, I don't even know if they're connected to chase or just a random phone authorization bank.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton

Or have the check made out to the taxation office (city or county clerk I assume) and have it sent to your address, then hand deliver it.
You've done this yourself?

Regarding taxes, when you say the parcel number, that's the same as the Assessor's number, correct?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:47 pm

Can we use those prepaid gift card (obtained from rebates) to top up the bluebird card? If we make the purchase as credit does it go through?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Can we use those prepaid gift card (obtained from rebates) to top up the bluebird card? If we make the purchase as credit does it go through?
The safe way to do this is to buy a reload, and do a partial payment on each card at the register.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Stoughton

This will not work - it puts your address on the check according to FM'er.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
The safe way to do this is to buy a reload, and do a partial payment on each card at the register.
I don't understand the partial payment thing. So if I have prepaid cards of $20, $30 and $40 denominations, I purchase a $90 reload and pay them using all the 3 cards?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I don't understand the partial payment thing. So if I have prepaid cards of $20, $30 and $40 denominations, I purchase a $90 reload and pay them using all the 3 cards?
Correct, but at many registers you will have to specify how much to charge to each card. At some registers, running the card will not pull off the whole value but will result in a decline instead.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
You've done this yourself?

Regarding taxes, when you say the parcel number, that's the same as the Assessor's number, correct?
No, haven't done it myself - taxes aren't due for another month

The parcel # probably your assessors number, but without seeing the bill, I can't say for certain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.