Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Big purchase coming up in two days (7K). I JUST received the Ink card in the mail. I have a prepaid Amex (that I haven't used yet), not a Bluebird, and have not tried the Vanilla scheme yet. Is it possible to use the OD GC plan, or anything else, to maximize the 5X Ink offer? The charge will be to a travel agency. Maybe try to go to different Staples/OD and just buy enough GCs to cover it? Not sure if the agency is open on Sundays to inquire how many forms of payment I can give them for one transaction

I have a second purchase (6K) coming up the week after, so I also have to figure this whole thing out for that....

Thanks for any advice and feel free to PM me
This thread is about Bluebird, not using GCs or prepaid debit cards to make a travel agency purchase. You will have to ask the travel agency what cards they will accept.

CVS will NOT accept GCs, prepaid cards, or debit cards to buy VRs. It's cash or CC only. At least those are the rules in the DC area.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:10 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Big purchase coming up in two days (7K). I JUST received the Ink card in the mail. I have a prepaid Amex (that I haven't used yet), not a Bluebird, and have not tried the Vanilla scheme yet. Is it possible to use the OD GC plan, or anything else, to maximize the 5X Ink offer? The charge will be to a travel agency. Maybe try to go to different Staples/OD and just buy enough GCs to cover it? Not sure if the agency is open on Sundays to inquire how many forms of payment I can give them for one transaction

I have a second purchase (6K) coming up the week after, so I also have to figure this whole thing out for that....

You can always purchase gift cards at OD for 5x... just use caution because I'm pretty sure you would be attracting a little attention to yourself if your first purchases on the new card are for 7K at OD... You would also want to double check with the Travel Agency first unless you are able to liquify all of the gift cards you purchase easily. Good luck though... I hope you can truly maximize the 5X bonus! I did it with my parents solar for 10K and was awesome!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Setting up bill pay for my Chase CC, I noticed there is an existing entry for Chase credit card payments in the BB system, but it doesn't show the address - not sure if Chase publishes different addresses or PO boxes for different credit card products, so rather than take a chance, I entered the payee info manually using the address sent to me by customer service.

For the Ink Bold card, the address to enter is:

Cardmember Services
PO Box 94014
Palatine, IL 60094-4014
That address is not the same as the one on my personal Chase card account statement (at least not the one I had recently). Strangely, it also isn't what shows on my Ink account statement either.

That said, I'm pretty sure Bluebird is all electronic for the payments. My Toyota Financial vehicle lease payment works fine, and I know Toyota has a different PO Box (in different states) for retail loan payments and for lease payments, and it didn't ask me for a Toyota Financial address. All of my payments (to Toyota and CC companies) have all posted far too fast to have been mailed as well.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kooju999
I'm thinking about paying my landlord from BB.
I saw that BB was going to send a check via US mail. What happens if the check get lost? Can I make a stop payment? I think the account gets debited as soon as the check is sent. Do I get credit back for lost check?
Convince your landlord to open a BB account as well, and then you can just do a money transfer. I did, and he couldn't be happier.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 6:40 pm

Setting up bill pay for my Chase CC, I noticed there is an existing entry for Chase credit card payments in the BB system, but it doesn't show the address - not sure if Chase publishes different addresses or PO boxes for different credit card products, so rather than take a chance, I entered the payee info manually using the address sent to me by customer service.
You don't need to supply a mailing address for Chase Credit Cards.... that will only slow down your payment. Since Chase Credit Cards is already in the BB system, they will do an electronic payment. All you need to add is your account number. I did my first Chase payment last week, and it was credited to my account within 2 or 3 days. Mailing a check obviously takes longer, and is more likely to go astray.....
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
I haven't been keeping up with this thread for a couple weeks.

Did I miss anything?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by gardengirl

Did I miss anything?
Nah. Same questions, same answers.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by gardengirl

Did I miss anything?
Nope.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the Ink Bold card, the address to enter is:

Cardmember Services
PO Box 94014
Palatine, IL 60094-4014
You dont need an address if it is electronic check which is what BB sends when your payee is in the data base.

The Chase CC option is perfectly fine for both personal and biz cards. Paid thru that fine.

You can always do a $2-3 test payment first to see if the payment arrives as expected before you make a big payment. That is how I do for each new payee account.

Payments to Citi Bank Credit Card, Chase Credit Card, American Express, local utility FPL, all work as BB promised. If you set up payment alert with CC companies, you would generally receive the Payment Received Alert in the morning of the date of Arrival BB promised. Although posting would not show until after the overnight processing. FPL is the only payee on my list that shows the payment real time - the morning of date of arrival, FPL shows account balance 0, payment received.

It is much better to use the existent payees from BB's data base instead of re-inventing the wheel. Only when your payee is not on the list then you resort to manual check which as others have mentioned, often delayed the arrival / posting and risk of getting ashtray...

Last edited by Happy; Jan 5, 2013 at 8:34 pm
Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe you should ask your Travel Agency first to make sure they take prepaid cards for payments.

I can tell you that AMEX GCs cannot be use to pay for a cruise. It is even spelled out in the fine print that comes with the GCs.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by DCBob
CVS will NOT accept GCs, prepaid cards, or debit cards to buy VRs. It's cash or CC only. At least those are the rules in the DC area.
This is going to be ymmv, I just did 14 VRs tonight using pp cards from OD in OH. Was the 2nd CVS I tried, first was wiped out. I'm assuming that they allowed it too since I doubt cash buyers got them all.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sam_goh
This is going to be ymmv, I just did 14 VRs tonight using pp cards from OD in OH. Was the 2nd CVS I tried, first was wiped out. I'm assuming that they allowed it too since I doubt cash buyers got them all.
the horror of Nocal where there aren't 14 vr in a 100 mile radius
edit
and if you bought 14 at once you would be arrested lol
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by ddallas
Nah. Same questions, same answers.
Well, except for the misunderstanding that snowballed into a whole sordid affair of ranting and raving over racial stereotypes and such...but those posts are pretty much deleted now....so back on topic to the same old, same old Probably if you come back in 6 months it will still be the same
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh
I just did 14 VRs tonight using pp cards from OD in OH.
Both of those feats are impressive, 14 in one store, and buying with gc.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ddallas
Both of those feats are impressive, 14 in one store, and buying with gc.
and also claims to have pounded them with numerous different Freedom accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.