Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Originally Posted by kdinino
plenty of vanilla beans available in the rainbow area of town in San Diego at your local cee vee ess. Now this would be the Visa logo'd my vanilla ice cream flavor...not sure if they taste as goos as the former OD flavors, but seems to work just fine for me. Enough ice cream to feed a small army
Nice! I love the rainbow area.

Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:51 pm

<delete/gone>

Last edited by johndoe123; Nov 27, 2012 at 7:56 am
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:14 pm

Soon this thread will exceed the "mint" thread...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
That is > 2
Not sure where you got two from but yes 4/5 is > 2.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA Exec plat, DL gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
What is the Bluebird definition of "a month"? Is it calendar or rolling like the amex prepaid card?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:54 pm

I have been looking for getting beans with CC in south/east bay since they got removed from OD, no luck so far.

Originally Posted by johndoe123
Alright folks, I'm in San Jose, CA until tomorrow 8am.

If anyone knows a location that carries the beans within 20-30 minute drive, please let me know via PM. I need to meet a minimum spend.

It would be useful, because my home state doesn't have this store.

I tried the one near Tasman Dr... no go. Didn't have 'em.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:55 pm

Calendar month.

Originally Posted by br1584
What is the Bluebird definition of "a month"? Is it calendar or rolling like the amex prepaid card?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:48 am

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, CC, US, BA
My only problem with the code is people who say CeeVeeSee instead of CeeVeeEss
Old Nov 27, 2012, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Please read the following directly copied from a Chase letter that came with a refund check (from normal refund that had sit in account for 3 months with no activity so a check was auto-sent.)

Enclosed please find a credit balance refund check to reimburse you for the current credit balance on your account. Please understand that if the credit balance was due to an overpayment made for your full account balance and the refund was requested in the middle of your billing cycle, you may receive a statement for subsequent interest charges assessed from the date of your previous statement until the date your full payment was received.

I have no inclination to find out exactly what the above wording may mean and how it would affect you if you intentionally overpay your Chase CC, then request the overpayment the following month mid cycle. Those who still want to try can report back the actual outcome for the benefit of the community.
I received the same letter in the past few days and I too don't know what it means or the facts under which Chase would impose interest charges. My credit balance was caused by a refund to a CC account that had been dormant for a while, and I requested the refund.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by webazoid
Roundabout way of buy vanillas at CVS

1) Buy 2 Visa Gift cards at OD: $1009.90 [Get 5050 UR points] *$9.90 fee
2) Use the 2 Visa Gift Cards to Load $1000 onto Amex prepaid at target and spend $1003. *$3 fee
3) Use Amex Target to buy 2 $500 vanillas at CVS *7.90 fees. This should work since amex prepaid has your name on it.
4) Transfer Vanilla reloadable to bluebird

$9.90+3+$7.90 = $20.80 for 5050 UR. Equals 2.42 x per dollar spent w/ Ink.
Why can't you just use the Visa Gift Cards to load $1k onto Amex prepaid (Bluebird card) since it has your name on it?

Or is the only way to load Bluebird via Vanilla Reload? I noticed NetSpend on the Vanilla Reload card, but cant tell if I can use NetSpend (since it has a pin) to reload Bluebird directly. ??
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by jrey
Soon this thread will exceed the "mint" thread...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yoyo
Why would you want to buy with GCs and get charged double on the fees, unless you got your giftcards fee free?
because to me, its worth it for the 5x vs 1x
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: UR, *A, UA
Ok so I've read this thread (ALL of it...) at least twice. Good info to be sure.

But, has *any*one seen Jelly Bellies in the inner Bay Area? I'm fine with just having fun with gift cards at Orifice Desperate to meet min spend but just curious. I have been to at least 7 Convenience Value Service (though that S part is debatable) and the rackus is emptius.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Bluegrasskat
Yeah, all the code is beyond annoying, as if nobody knows what a 'bean', Ice Cream, CeeVeeEsss is at this point, or couldn't figure it out in a matter of seconds....

And yeah, I get the whole search engine dynamic, but still think it's silly and really prevents nothing in the grand scheme of things.

#.02
+1. There are many of us that do this when we see the silly, cutsie so-called codes. Screw SeeVeeEss and the beans you rode in on!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 1:03 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Why can't you just use the Visa Gift Cards to load $1k onto Amex prepaid (Bluebird card) since it has your name on it?

Or is the only way to load Bluebird via Vanilla Reload? I noticed NetSpend on the Vanilla Reload card, but cant tell if I can use NetSpend (since it has a pin) to reload Bluebird directly. ??
To load via a card at WM, it has to be a pin-based card.

Visa GCs aren't pin-based, so they will not work (even though they typically say "debit" on them) at WM. I have used Vanilla and WF ppd cards to load my Bluebird at WM.

Last edited by NYBanker; Nov 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm Reason: No reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.